ZIPPER VS STANDARD WAND | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

ZIPPER VS STANDARD WAND

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
I have tried a zipper at 500 psi and cleans great. My question is at 500 psi why is a Zipper better than a wand with 2 jets? The wand has more force from just 2 jets than the zipper with 5. Can someone explain why the zipper is better, seems like more force out of the jets break up the soil better?

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Flow and recovery is a balance. Do you need 2 recovery slots, no. You just need to be able to effectively take up what you put down. How? By increasing your recovery system matched with your flow rate (# of jets and pressure have less to do than the amount of water hitting the carpet altogether). I will take some potshots from the peanut gallery, but promise you that an average scrub wand without a bs glide adjusted right will perform neck and neck with a zipper in pure results everyday.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
Flow and recovery is a balance. Do you need 2 recovery slots, no. You just need to be able to effectively take up what you put down. How? By increasing your recovery system matched with your flow rate (# of jets and pressure have less to do than the amount of water hitting the carpet altogether). I will take some potshots from the peanut gallery, but promise you that an average scrub wand without a bs glide adjusted right will perform neck and neck with a zipper in pure results everyday.
I have experienced that it definately dries alot better, and is faster

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
The zipper is way faster though and easier on the body. I got to use one on a friends job and we did prescrub with my Cimex. Extracting with the zipper is way faster especially in wide open areas. Wish I had one yesterday.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The zipper is way faster though and easier on the body. I got to use one on a friends job and we did prescrub with my Cimex. Extracting with the zipper is way faster especially in wide open areas. Wish I had one yesterday.
You can use a scrub wand in 20 foot passes, push right back up the same path, move over and repeat. You only need to have the ability to do it with one pass cleaning. It's possible.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have tried a zipper at 500 psi and cleans great. My question is at 500 psi why is a Zipper better than a wand with 2 jets? The wand has more force from just 2 jets than the zipper with 5. Can someone explain why the zipper is better, seems like more force out of the jets break up the soil better?
@renew carpet
Zippers and Bonzers (we just used two newer Bonzers on a double sided church) are great for open commercial areas. For homes pretty worthless compared to a swivel wand tho Bonzer has the edge because or lighter weight and maneuverability. Now as to it being a "better cleaning tool" what empirical data do you have? Have you performed multiple tests side by side with various wands, different soiling conditions and soil levels over a period time in multiple applications? What test equipment do you own? Are you easily impressed by heavy and shiny things?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have experienced that it definately dries alot better, and is faster
Please share the data.Define faster? Did you use a penetrating or a non penetrating moisture meter? Same carpet/soil load/condition side by side? May we see a video you using both to compare your level of experience and cleaning ability?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KwMRLWfAmNFWU" width="480" height="370" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>
I've challenged many (including leading industry forum admin, manufacturer and those defending things with no science ) to open live debates and not one person has taken me up one it. So don't hold your breath.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I just don't see how a wand will ever out clean a rotary, I've even used a CRB + wand and the rotary still destroyed it in clean ability. But most insist I did something "wrong"

Reactions: Fedri

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
First thing, first. What made you to ask this question? It's all debatable. If your Zipper has 5 jets producing #5-7.5 flow, than your 2 jet high flow wand may do the comparable job.
Let's think for a moment. You've got 2 jet wand with a #6 flow. Zipper/ Bonzer can produce #10-14 or more , also enclosed space on Zipper/Bonzer will help to preserve the heat which will make flushing more efficient. On the other hand, you can increase flushing power of 2 jet wand as well. I'm not against claim that 2 jets wand can do superior job and hell, I'm not vouching for Bonzer ( 7 jets) either ( mine is sitting in garage. From my perspective , using longer pushes technique described by @Jim Davisson provides far better results, especially when using Cx-15. I've used it on 250' long runs, superior results. I rarely exceeded 600 psi. 15' cleaning path, multidirectional passes encased in bigger space that Zipper / Bonzer can provide combined does miracles. If you're familiar with Sx-15, Sx-12 for tile&grout, you're getting the same great results on carpeting with a CX-15. My opinion is based on experience from cleaning dirty restaurants ( to round it up, about 250 every year) To prevent myself from getting mad, I use 2 jet wand, , Bonzer, 6 jet wand and CX-15, from time to time I put my 20" crb to work.
Use whatever makes you feel that you're doing superior job.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
@renew carpet
Zippers and Bonzers (we just used two newer Bonzers on a double sided church) are great for open commercial areas. For homes pretty worthless compared to a swivel wand tho Bonzer has the edge because or lighter weight and maneuverability. Now as to it being a "better cleaning tool" what empirical data do you have? Have you performed multiple tests side by side with various wands, different soiling conditions and soil levels over a period time in multiple applications? What test equipment do you own? Are you easily impressed by heavy and shiny things?
i have a rotary that i use for residential, and bonzer for commercial that i compared to a 2 jet wand that i have used until the bonzer. it cleans better and drys faster at 500psi. so i just had a question as to why. thats all.

Reactions: rob allen

renew carpet

Dec 14, 2019
Real Name
joseph blumberg
First thing, first. What made you to ask this question? It's all debatable. If your Zipper has 5 jets producing #5-7.5 flow, than your 2 jet high flow wand may do the comparable job.
Let's think for a moment. You've got 2 jet wand with a #6 flow. Zipper/ Bonzer can produce #10-14 or more , also enclosed space on Zipper/Bonzer will help to preserve the heat which will make flushing more efficient. On the other hand, you can increase flushing power of 2 jet wand as well. I'm not against claim that 2 jets wand can do superior job and hell, I'm not vouching for Bonzer ( 7 jets) either ( mine is sitting in garage. From my perspective , using longer pushes technique described by @Jim Davisson provides far better results, especially when using Cx-15. I've used it on 250' long runs, superior results. I rarely exceeded 600 psi. 15' cleaning path, multidirectional passes encased in bigger space that Zipper / Bonzer can provide combined does miracles. If you're familiar with Sx-15, Sx-12 for tile&grout, you're getting the same great results on carpeting with a CX-15. My opinion is based on experience from cleaning dirty restaurants ( to round it up, about 250 every year) To prevent myself from getting mad, I use 2 jet wand, , Bonzer, 6 jet wand and CX-15, from time to time I put my 20" crb to work.
Use whatever makes you feel that you're doing superior job.
I asked this question because i was just curious. thats all. its really not a big deal. i use it and love it, i just asked a simple question.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i have used all: rotarys, prochem wands , zipper, bonzer...

Personally i havent used a wand in almost 10 years
since i got the zipper and the bonzer......
just cleans better and dries better but you do have to have
a high flow TM to really tell the diffference

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I asked this question because i was just curious. thats all. its really not a big deal. i use it and love it, i just asked a simple question.
I didn't try to argue your case. In conclusion, what do you like better, Zipper or wand? Do you prefer using Zipper on commercial accounts? Can you reveal flow numbers on both tools?
That would give us more info Do you operate powerful portable unit or powerful TM. There's nothing wrong if we wish to learn from each other. That's how forum works, we're growing together!

neptun

Mar 22, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Wendy Short
Business Location
United Kingdom
woow