Your Best macgyver or davidson Moment this year !!! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Your Best macgyver or davidson Moment this year !!!

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Did that once with a Cimex that fried the plug. Was in the middle of a hospital sitting in a wheelchair wiring a new plug with a box cutter and some tape. Pretty sure my old boss still has it like that.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Did that once with a Cimex that fried the plug. Was in the middle of a hospital sitting in a wheelchair wiring a new plug with a box cutter and some tape. Pretty sure my old boss still has it like that.
I didn't have a soldering iron or shrink wrap but I got-er-done

Reactions: CCWorks

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
ten gauge cords with proper 20amp ends are your best friends first thing you need to do is cut off all those molded ends proper hospital grade 20amp plugs

Reactions: jtsunbrite

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Redneck Engineering is a must have skill for a cleaner... I have built all kinds of things and rigged stuff that was broken to get through the job, which by the way a handy thing to have in your repair arsenal is called a Field Crimp... These are quick repair ends for your pressure hose that you can use if you blow a hose during a job, I like to have 3 or 4 of these on the van at all times...You also need a set of Cable Shears found in the electrical section at home depot get the quality ones that are sturdy enough to cut through hose not the cheapo ones... https://www.steam-brite.com/reusable-hose-repair-single-wire-braided-pressure-hose-072053142754-p-10463.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw__fnBRANEiwAuFxETxCA-irIaNNWn5hZVkKhlVcSEbyPgqltTA_9GIvKYPm1PxIwVv3n1xoC24AQAvD_BwE

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I built this homemade tile spinner from a $29 surface cleaner from Lowe’s and the bottom of an old 5-gallon bucket. It actually worked pretty well.
Smart!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’ve referred to myself as McGuyver more times than I can remember. Honestly if an owner can’t make due under imperfect circumstances he might not make it lol. Good job.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Redneck Engineering is a must have skill for a cleaner... I have built all kinds of things and rigged stuff that was broken to get through the job, which by the way a handy thing to have in your repair arsenal is called a Field Crimp... These are quick repair ends for your pressure hose that you can use if you blow a hose during a job, I like to have 3 or 4 of these on the van at all times...You also need a set of Cable Shears found in the electrical section at home depot get the quality ones that are sturdy enough to cut through hose not the cheapo ones... https://www.steam-brite.com/reusable-hose-repair-single-wire-braided-pressure-hose-072053142754-p-10463.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw__fnBRANEiwAuFxETxCA-irIaNNWn5hZVkKhlVcSEbyPgqltTA_9GIvKYPm1PxIwVv3n1xoC24AQAvD_BwE
How well do the field crimps hold up? I've considered them since I hardly pop hoses and don't have a press to put regular crimps on. My usual options are pay too much at a shop or go butter up my old boss to let me use his.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I've never been much of a mechanic or a Mcguyver but I can fix common sense problems in the field. I hate it when a tech tells me the machine shut off and they haven't even evaluated the most common causes.

Reactions: jtsunbrite

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
ten gauge cords with proper 20amp ends are your best friends first thing you need to do is cut off all those molded ends proper hospital grade 20amp plugs
Careful, some hospitals and other facilities may require UL-listed electrical attachments on equipment that operates in wet conditions. If you cut off a molded plug and replace it with something non-molded, you void the UL listing and can get in trouble if someone decides to inspect you.

I know, chances of inspection are slim-to-none. But it can happen.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
amen im waiting for them to break first then ill fix em

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
How well do the field crimps hold up? I've considered them since I hardly pop hoses and don't have a press to put regular crimps on. My usual options are pay too much at a shop or go butter up my old boss to let me use his.
We have our own 1/4" hose swager and use field repair couplings too. Field repair couplings are just as good on Neptune hose as a swaged one. I have not used them on any other brand of hose and can't speak for their durability or longevity in that regard.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke