Yelp | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Yelp

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
Like magic, I got a couple of yelp request Betty H and Joe S want to know how much to clean a 10x9 area rug and some stairs

no contact info I just respond please give us a call they never do

Then like clockwork Yelp rep calls me telling how much Yelp is doing for my business and wants to go over a plan for me to start getting more quality customers,

This happens two to three times a year

never once have I turned a yelp request into a paying customer hell have never had one call.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Same happens to me as well. No response or call back. I've responded within minutes of getting a notice and nothing happens. Then I get the constant calls and voicemails like you just mentioned. I also get emails saying that my account is frozen because I do not respond to customer inquires. I wish they'd keep it frozen.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I just happened to have checked into their advertising rates a couple of days ago and said a big fat NO, NOT HAPPENING. I think I'm just gonna forget they even exist. I also have never gotten a single job from them and doubt I ever will especially since I'll never run an ad with them. I'll not spend a dime with them. I'm getting a bit sick of internet shysters sucking the blood of hard working people. I wonder how many millions are basically stolen from people every year who don't have sense enough to know how bad they're being robbed. I try to get my customers to do the yelping for me. A lot of my work is from one customer telling about me to someone they know.

Last edited:

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
I think I set up a bare bones account with them when I first started (like 15$-20 a month?) as a tester. Legit did not have a single customer throughout the year so cancelled it. It sure as shit started the same way. I had filled out business info on every free posting I could find, got a few inquiries from Yelp and thought it would help get more calls.

Zero booked jobs.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Sure you can pay someone like Yelp to advertise for you... just remember that they're also advertising for other competitors in your area, and the advertiser is making money whether YOU make money or not. So they're not terribly vested in YOUR business.

Reactions: wandwizard

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Yelp is trying to monetize their platform. I was killing it on Yelp, not paying them either, but now instead of 3 paid advertisers above my free listing, I have 10 paid advertisers. My calls from Yelpers dropped immediately.

When a Yelper requests a quote from a contractor, Yelp asks them if they want to send their question to 10 other contractors. Once Yelp started doing that they screwed us. Conversion rates dropped to nothing then.

Yelp made me a lot of money over the years. I'm a 5 star company with over 100 reviews. But I'm afraid it's going the way of Angie's List. Down the toilet.

Reactions: wandwizard

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
I have signed up with Yelp before in the past. The sales guy was like "You set a budget and we wont go over that limit + you get $300 free start off credit." So I was like well sign me up for a budget of $300 to start off with, let me see how it goes and I can get an idea if I get a client or not out of it. So they signed me up, and next thing you know they said "You owe $1,200" and it generated 1 walk through. I told them there must be a mistake because I said to try the $300 credit then will see from there. They contacted the sales guy and he denied it, so they threaten me with collections and told them to shove it up their behind, and they can just take down my posting because I am not paying a dime. They said that they are okay with keeping it but will still send it to collections. Only heard from them once or twice in a year.