Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Is it a different animal? Most mattresses no problem but memory won’t give up the yellow. Any suggestions?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Memory foam is manufactured by using one or more of several different chemical processes, each of which may contain amines, silicone, or any of a hundred other polymers, solvents and catalysts. It may also have flame retardant. Thus any of a host of chemicals present may be making the yellow discoloration hard to remove, if not permanent. Since the foam isn't made to be edible, it's not always easy to find exact lists of "ingredients" in any given brand of memory foam.

For the record, most memory foams also turn yellow in the presence of UV light, so don't try to oxidize and UV it, lol. Unless you just want a nice uniform yellow color.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I have done my share of them. I'll clean dog and cat piss before a matress like that anyday. And yes it can be removed completely. Most fabrics that cover the foam is cotton. There is a reason for this. That matress we would charge $300 to $400 depending on how hard it was to remove from the home. That can't be cleaned on-location with acceptable results, for me anyways. Is that an old kleenrite or prochem tool? Those tools are so dated and heavy.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
His replies (this is a cleaner in another state)

I would think that the fabric would clean up if the memory foam underneath it did not. I am really hoping to exploit the lack of cleaners doing mattresses in my area. I don't see this happening if I can't find The Simple Solution to urine stains. I'm going to try that Primetime enzyme next. The customer was kind enough to tell me that I could come back a third time when I had something different I wanted to try. This is an extremely expensive mattress and he would love to have it clean. At least I have a good test subject. I just wish he lived closer. It's just over a 30 minute drive. On a Bright Now I now know for things that don't work. Grease eraser, slop and gobble, Bridgepoint Haitian cotton cleaner an Unchained. LOL

No it's a CFR tool. Comes with three different heads at least they used to. I have a 6 inch head the 3-inch had that you see and a one and a half inch head. Just one of four different tools I use for mattresses. The main one I use is a curtain cleaning attachment.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
The problem with cleaning modern foam matesses is (1) foam (2) thickness of the foam (3) the urine will soak down 6" or more (4) the covering fabric is designed so that the warranty of the matress can be voided if any liquid gets on the matress including one's cleaning solution:eek::unsure:. Memory foam matresses are very expensive ($1000.00 low end to upwards of $20,000.00) KNOW WHICH ONE YOU ARE WORKING ON before you attempt to clean so you can weigh out the risk of cleaning verses cost you are charging for profit. You just VOIDED the warranty! Which is no big deal on a low end matress but it is on a high end one.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Peroxide not able brighten?

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
As a last resort attempt. Should not be needed.

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
i do lots of mattress , yes ,strong peroxide will get that ... you might have more convenient source but i get two pack high stength bleach kits from hair salon supply store locally , mix up the paste and brush or spread it over the mattress ... usually gets the likes of that white in about 30min to an hour .

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I now know for things that don't work. Grease eraser, slop and gobble, Bridgepoint Haitian cotton cleaner an Unchained.
Be aware that Bridgeport has not made a Haitian Cotton Cleaner for over 7 years. Shelf life on the product would be less than 7 years. So, any BP Haitian Cotton Cleaner that was tried recently would be way beyond expected shelf life.

As Amy explained, a complex substance and you may not get the yellow out. You can get it clean and sanitary which should be the main thing the customer is concerned with.

I would try a reducer to correct. You could mist on RedZone Ready to a small area to test. Will take up to 20 minutes to work, but you should see results beginning in 5 minutes or so. You could also mix Bridgepoint Coffee Stain Remover with warm water. This is a powder. You can gradually increase the strength of the solution if required.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Yes the reducer is the correct procedure for this stain(damage). We also use light and time along with complete drying. Then a second attempt with same procedure at double the strength. After complete drying of second attempt as a last resort then do we use hp. Very seldom does it take more than the first attemp. Hardly ever do we use hp on a matress as it will degrade the covering unless it's synthetic which is rare.

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
one thing about the reducers .... anything with sodium metabisulfite can have a strong odour ... not desirable in a bedroom/mattress situation imo
I go the peroxide route ...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States