Years ago, a different kind of Carpet Cleaning era!

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Just curious when where you getting over 60 cents a foot. Are you still charging that now or more?
I was getting 13 cents a foot, the big boys were getting 15 cents.
If you adjust for inflation, that's over 60 cents in today's dollars.
I would give my left nut to get 60 cents today.
When I'm lucky, I get 30-40 cents, but I settle for a lot less more often than I care to admit.
It's why I hate the price cutter bait n switch so much.
They've ruined it for us all.
I started out as a price cutter, any lr,dr and hall, $39.95.
But that's over $160.00 in today's money and all the homes were 1000-1400 sq foot max, generally with steps as an add on, I'd get another $15-20 for steps, and $10 for running the 175 scrubber. And $5-7 to run the certified pile brush. hahaha
Now my $40 job jumped to $65 which would be $260 or more today.
With my tm, in my 20's, I was done in an hour and 1/2.
Then I'd sell scotchguard, etc etc.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
When I'm lucky, I get 30-40 cents, but I settle for a lot less more often than I care to admit.
But that's over $160.00 in today's money and all the homes were 1000-1400 sq foot max, generally with steps as an add on, I'd get another $15-20 for steps, and $10 for running the 175 scrubber. And $5-7 to run the certified pile brush. hahaha
I don't think you were a price cutter. I was charging 29.95 for one room & hall. If they needed traffic areas in a bed room also I would take a few minutes and charge 10.00. I used to think 40 bucks in an hour, cool. The one thing that I remember is that I was getting 65.00 for cleaning a sofa (30 years ago). I know now that I was getting more on furniture cleaning back then than today. Were you making more on furniture back then? Sears was the worst in my area for bait n switch.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Price cutters can't offer quality and quality cleaners can't offer price. They are polar opposites, catering to two sets of clientele who couldn't be more different than one another. Pick a side, don't stand in the middle and get run over. Quality providers in every area are getting 50 cents consistantly. Cheap prospects are easy to get but who wants em. Building a quality clientele takes time but if you're in this for life, you will sooner or later cater to quality people. Start early so you can prosper sooner.

Reactions: ronman

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I don't think you were a price cutter. I was charging 29.95 for one room & hall. If they needed traffic areas in a bed room also I would take a few minutes and charge 10.00. I used to think 40 bucks in an hour, cool. The one thing that I remember is that I was getting 65.00 for cleaning a sofa (30 years ago). I know now that I was getting more on furniture cleaning back then than today. Were you making more on furniture back then? Sears was the worst in my area for bait n switch.
Back in 76,77,78 when I was cleaning, $40 an hour was great, the equivalent to $160-$200 an hour today.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Price cutters can't offer quality and quality cleaners can't offer price. They are polar opposites, catering to two sets of clientele who couldn't be more different than one another. Pick a side, don't stand in the middle and get run over. Quality providers in every area are getting 50 cents consistantly. Cheap prospects are easy to get but who wants em. Building a quality clientele takes time but if you're in this for life, you will sooner or later cater to quality people. Start early so you can prosper sooner.
Funny thing about bait in switch. I remember about 15 years ago Sears tried to change their image about Carpet cleaning. To little to late. In my area Sears no longer does CC. Quality work with affordable prices will always prevail.