Years ago, a different kind of Carpet Cleaning era!

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
And to think, in 30 years I'm gonna be able to say "back in day we had to fuel our TMs with gasoline, and guys were buying diesel/propane heaters and carrying them in the trucks"!
They will say "how primitive" you guys didn't have hydrogen fuel cell units like now.... Almost sounds like my daughter when looking at an old picture of my car, she asked about those funny looking tapes that were on the dash. (remember the 8 tracks).

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I was high tech, I had an answering service, and the girl prided herself in tricking the callers into thinking they were talking to my company.
She would page me, no tm's yet, I called her from custies phone or payphone, got the details called the customer, and booked the job.
I remember people seeing the pager, and asking if I was a doctor.
Then I got the Phone-Mate remote answering machine, so I could call in and playback the messages.
The thing cost $299 which is over $1200 in today's funny money.
But I was just a kid making crazy great $$, over 60 cents a foot, and I was the lowball guy.

Many many years later, my first cell phone was the size of a motorcycle battery, and had a corded handset.

Good times.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I was high tech, I had an answering service, and the girl prided herself in tricking the callers into thinking they were talking to my company.
She would page me, no tm's yet, I called her from custies phone or payphone, got the details called the customer, and booked the job.
Then I got the Phone-Mate remote answering machine, so I could call in and playback the messages.
But I was just a kid making crazy great $$, over 60 cents a foot, and I was the lowball guy.

Many many years later, my first cell phone was the size of a motorcycle battery, and had a corded handset.

Good times.
Your right! I remember my first cell phone had a battery life of about 1-2 hours but in the manual they said 4-6. Always made sure that baby was plugged into the cig lighter. HaHa

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Your right! I remember my first cell phone had a battery life of about 1-2 hours but in the manual they said 4-6. Always made sure that baby was plugged into the cig lighter. HaHa
Oh yeah, I bet it weighed 5 pounds, there was no way you would carry it very far.
For all practical purposes, it was a car phone.
I was an owner operator, driving truck then, and my first couple bills were like $1000!!

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
What's weird to me is even at 29 I remember that.
The company I worked for used radios instead of cell phones, no GPS just maps.
I bet I would have been at least 20% more efficient if I had GPS.

im only 29 too Torrey, and I was using old hagstom maps also when i started 13+ years ago. trying to find these tiny little 2 house long back roads, or the roads that started in one place, and ended somewhere that dident even connect were good times.:rolleyes:

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Sounds like you had it made. I was carring a Ninja up seven flights of strairs in the Tenderloin 'cause the elevator was out. Filling up a 5 gallon buckets in the shower next to a "cockNballs" soap on a rope...working for Gypsies , getting calls on beeper, returning call on public phone covered in mystery goo. Some days, lost money when my 30% commission didn't cover gas and chems. Luxury...

Reactions: allinthesteam

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Sounds like you had it made. I was carring a Ninja up seven flights of strairs in the Tenderloin 'cause the elevator was out. Filling up a 5 gallon buckets in the shower next to a "cockNballs" soap on a rope...working for Gypsies , getting calls on beeper, returning call on public phone covered in mystery goo. Some days, lost money when my 30% commission didn't cover gas and chems. Luxury...
I still use a Thomas guide though...

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I had a porty only once! Big, fiberglass body easily 85 lbs and the smallest wheels you could image. I used to huff & puff after 2 flights of stairs. In the back of my mind I wondered how may times the breakers will trip on this job. I take my hat off to you for what you had to do. You know back in the day your only competition was if your client asked if you had seen the Kirby shampooer in action.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
I had a porty only once! Big, fiberglass body easily 85 lbs and the smallest wheels you could image. I used to huff & puff after 2 flights of stairs. In the back of my mind I wondered how may times the breakers will trip on this job. I take my hat off to you for what you had to do. You know back in the day your only competition was if your client asked if you had seen the Kirby shampooer in action.
Oh, yea I can remember knowing what phone booths always had some kind of "not from this planet" crap all over the phone and door.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood

Good times.
Just curious when where you getting over 60 cents a foot. Are you still charging that now or more?

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Only comp I was aware of back then were the other Techs in the shop also trying to get the " cherry" routes. Half of em were all coked up and could sell ice to an Eskimo.
What I meant was when the lady on the other line told you she had a Kirby Shampooer and did it her self. She would say that It was broken and she wanted to know if you could get it as clean as she could with her beloved Kirby. lol

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States