Would you hire a cigarette smoker? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you hire a cigarette smoker?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You are 100% right and I would not know until I had you in the field. You might kill it... Ability to be trainable is all that college proves. Hiring a college graduate does not ensure success, but shows commitment and that's all. This line of work anyone can do, but most can't do it well and few can do it well while operating a profitable business. Just doing it average isn't enough.
Agree on all your points!

Has college and its importance been addressed previously or maybe you are just adding that factor into the mix. Either way you sound like my echo in the fact that college only proves commitment and the ability to see something through. Yes, btw I do have a college degree and I already paid for it. No unpaid student loans for this millennial.

Now I need to figure out how to hire a helper the right way..

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Them and friggin roofers! Man they’re tuff
Yeah I see these 2 55-60+ guys doing my neighbors roof in sub freezing temps. Tough dudes. I haven't spoken to them much but I like 'em. :)

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I smoke and i can promise you i work circles around most people smoker or non smoker. Some of the best ass kicker employees ive ever had were and are smokers. I would never use that as a basis for determining employment it would be hypocritical on my part, just set ground rules up front and stick by them.
This is for you:

Read (as many times as it takes at least 2x): Allen Carr's, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

..and remember, Never Take Another Puff!

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Because my mother was killed (beaten to death, including her ribs and legs being shattered by a toilet tank lid). The murderer dropped dead of an aneurysm the week before his trial started.

Sad as it was, her case was used by the coroner and the AG for the state of South Carolina as a chance to revisit laws regarding the abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults (mom was in a wheelchair). Hopefully her death will help to prevent the deaths of others. I can only hope she would take some comfort from a legacy like that.

Cleaning up the aftermath was the hardest thing I've ever done.
ohh wow that is sad, so sorry to hear about that Mama Fem. :cry:

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I still get 28 pull ups on the first set and 55 in 3 sets under 2 minutes. Carpet cleaners are a force to be reckoned with... oh you want to arm wrestle muscle boy!

You know that those glam muscles aren't worth a flip and true strength is in the forearm right? Ok let's do this lol
U should really add a plate hanging off you on a weight belt, youll get stronger very rapidly.

High reps are highly ineffective at building more strength, beyond 20+ reps youll begin to plateau.

They do build endurance though. 28 is pretty good for sure

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Odd that those of us who smoke are considered unintelligent or weak-willed. I'm perfectly aware of how bad these things are for me. I know quite well how terrible they smell to those who don't smoke. I am always conscientious of the people around me and I don't light up when it's not appropriate.

Funny - it was my dad dying of cancer that started me smoking, and my mother's murder that got me off the vape and back onto cigarettes. It's my comfort-crutch, what I turn to when I'm stressed, and knowing it's bad for me hasn't been enough to get me off of them yet.

Will I quit? Eventually. Lots of life changes right now, and hubby and I will have to quit together (one can't keep it up while the other quits, that much I know).

Does the fact that I smoke make me less valuable as a person? Because frankly that seems to be the majority opinion. Personally, I prefer to think not.
1st: For any smoker out there the above book recommendation still stands. It is a big part of what helped me finally quit 8 years ago. strongly recommend it.

This thread and my posts have been in the back of my head since I posted about it.

I have been a hypocrite and I have to go back on my word. I said how 'awesome people' are making efforts to quit (smoking).

What I should have done is displayed more empathy to the troubles and addictions concerning others. I should have more strongly considered my own addictions and battles. I did quit smoking but I believe I replaced cigarette with food. Now I have a food problem. In the end it might actually be just as bad for my health as smoking if I don't change my habits.

Plus, my first helper don't you know is in fact a smoker and trying to 'get established and securely on his feet'. But he is very respectful, a hard worker, a forward thinker on the job - a big help. I hope and pray he stays on the right path and I hope and pray I continue to have work to offer him.

Im sorry TMF'ers. Please accept my apology.

@Mama Fen Im very sorry to hear about your tragedy. And Im sorry for coming across as better than others. I am just a regular guy with my own troubles.

Reactions: rob allen

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Unless everything is spelled out to the letter in your employees handbook sounds like a bunch of bullsh!t discrimination to me in many of these posts. In America if it's legal you get a fair shake from this guy.

If it came down to a non smoking millennial and a smoking ex marine I will take the marine smoker every effin time. I have an addictive personality and always will and I don't think I'm as judgey as many in this thread. Freedom of choice means a lot to me and many of the finest people I know have had vices that most scoff at. It's their loss in my opinion.
I completely agree with giving a fair shake to people. I shouldn't have acted superior to others. That is not the right approach.

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
The question shouldn't be weather I would its whether my customers would and that answer is hell no! Would I hang out with smokers after work sure thing.