Would you hire a cigarette smoker? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you hire a cigarette smoker?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
280 on a standing overhead strict barbell press is impressive for anyone under 300lbs body weight brother.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Actually flat bench is worse for your shoulders than overhead press. Standing strict overhead barbell press when performed properly is safer and recruits more muscles. Oh I didn’t mention I was referring before to standing strict overhead barbell press. To me it’s actually
A true measure of pressing power.
Those numbers are a seated overhead press with straight bar, honestly bench doesnt bother my shoulders never had an issue with my shoulders and bench.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Slow touch and go with proper form no pause with that weight. Overhead press haven't maxed in a long time cause ive got bad rotator cuffs and im always scared of blowing one out but but usually rep 3 sets of 8 to 10 with 185. Last time i maxed on overhead press was prob 8 years ago and did 280 but was in alot better condition than i am now
Your much more likely to sustain a rotator cuff injury in bench than shoulder press

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Honestly come to think of it closest ive came to a standing overhead press was clean and press but that has some momentum involved so wouldnt really count

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Your much more likely to sustain a rotator cuff injury in bench than shoulder press
Mine have been blown out in football, carpet cleaning, and seated military press...more than once lol

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
480.bench is straight beast mode though.
Its funny to me anything over 405 feels like im under a mack truck but it still goes up, under 405 not so much. Its like mentally once im over 405 its like my mind says oh shit

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I still get 28 pull ups on the first set and 55 in 3 sets under 2 minutes. Carpet cleaners are a force to be reckoned with... oh you want to arm wrestle muscle boy!

You know that those glam muscles aren't worth a flip and true strength is in the forearm right? Ok let's do this lol

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I still get 28 pull ups on the first set and 55 in 3 sets under 2 minutes. Carpet cleaners are a force to be reckoned with... oh you want to arm wrestle muscle boy!

You know that those glam muscles aren't worth a flip and true strength is in the forearm right? Ok let's do this lol
squats and deads aren't for glam muscles. For strength throughout whole body.

However, those pull-ups are might impressive.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm weak as hell compared to all of you

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Does the fact that I smoke make me less valuable as a person? Because frankly that seems to be the majority opinion. Personally, I prefer to think not.
Of course being a smoker doesn't make you less valuable as a person. My whole family basically growing up smoked or still does. I smoked in my 20's. Smoke free over 7 years now.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Not speaking to y'all specifically, but if I size a guy up I look at their forearms first. My brother in law is a Mason and he's the only guy I want on my side if things go sideways. He'd knock you into next week without thinking twice.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Never said being an ass kicker employee had anything to do with being a smoker, just that being a smoker shouldnt disqualify them from being an ass kicker employee.

Im not an awsome "worker" im an awsome multi truck and multi business "owner" lol. That doesnt disqualify employees abilities and drive due to them being smokers.

In the end your completely entitled to your opinion i respect that....however i can promise you you have or will miss out on a great employee by disqualifying all smokers.

Your correct cigarettes do kill, but there are alot of well informed awsome people in this world that do still smoke. Thats my 3 pennies :cigar:
Hell, @Mama Fen is a smoker and is prob one of if not the most intelligent and well spoken individuals on this board.
Of course one can be successful (you being business owner) and a smoker. But you have to see the downsides of being a smoker. Some (small minority) of smokers are social or occasional and going without one for a while is no big deal. But, in my experience its a serious addiction that most just cant do without. Its a big distraction. Food or cigs - some will choose cigs. Its serious.

How do I know this? I smoked (seriously addicted) in my 20's. But smoke free over 7 years now. Its a major distraction.

Reactions: SRD

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Unless everything is spelled out to the letter in your employees handbook sounds like a bunch of bullsh!t discrimination to me in many of these posts. In America if it's legal you get a fair shake from this guy.

If it came down to a non smoking millennial and a smoking ex marine I will take the marine smoker every effin time. I have an addictive personality and always will and I don't think I'm as judgey as many in this thread. Freedom of choice means a lot to me and many of the finest people I know have had vices that most scoff at. It's their loss in my opinion.
No discrimination here. Giving the benefit of the doubt and a fair shake are givens in this corner.

I have an addictive personality too and that is why I am speaking on the negative aspects of smoking. For the hooked smoker with an addictive personality nicotine is one BIG distraction.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Unless everything is spelled out to the letter in your employees handbook sounds like a bunch of bullsh!t discrimination to me in many of these posts. In America if it's legal you get a fair shake from this guy.

If it came down to a non smoking millennial and a smoking ex marine I will take the marine smoker every effin time. I have an addictive personality and always will and I don't think I'm as judgey as many in this thread. Freedom of choice means a lot to me and many of the finest people I know have had vices that most scoff at. It's their loss in my opinion.
Also, agree that fine people have vices others scoff at. How do I know? Well, I am human too. We all have vices. Some visible, some not so much.

BTW, 37 year old millennial here. You might not be so sure about all millennials..

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Also, agree that fine people have vices others scoff at. How do I know? Well, I am human too. We all have vices. Some visible, some not so much.

BTW, 37 year old millennial here. You might not be so sure about all millennials..

You are 100% right and I would not know until I had you in the field. You might kill it... Ability to be trainable is all that college proves. Hiring a college graduate does not ensure success, but shows commitment and that's all. This line of work anyone can do, but most can't do it well and few can do it well while operating a profitable business. Just doing it average isn't enough.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Its funny to me anything over 405 feels like im under a mack truck but it still goes up, under 405 not so much. Its like mentally once im over 405 its like my mind says oh shit

I can pick up a taco and burrito!

Hopefully this week I’ll pick up a truckload up meat from my butcher! That’ll be some good weight lifting

Reactions: Select

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Not speaking to y'all specifically, but if I size a guy up I look at their forearms first. My brother in law is a Mason and he's the only guy I want on my side if things go sideways. He'd knock you into next week without thinking twice.

Them and friggin roofers! Man they’re tuff

Reactions: Jim Davisson