Would you hire a cigarette smoker? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you hire a cigarette smoker?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I smoke and i can promise you i work circles around most people smoker or non smoker. Some of the best ass kicker employees ive ever had were and are smokers. I would never use that as a basis for determining employment it would be hypocritical on my part, just set ground rules up front and stick by them.
Being an ass kicker employee doesn't have anything to do with being a smoker as Im sure you really know. Coincedince likely.

I get that you want to defend smokers because you are probably an awesome worker that happens to smoke.

But, in the end I agree - strong no for smokers. Take too much time smoking. Consistent coughing is annoying. And the smell (while not bothersome to the smoker) is often very bothersome and noticeable to non smokers.

Not to mention cigarettes kill. Yes, many things kill I understand that. But today, smoking has a negative stigma and most informed, awesome people are making efforts to do without it.

My $.03!!

Reactions: Fedri

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
just set ground rules up front and stick by them.
Although this might be able to work but probably like finding a needle in a haystack finding 1. A good employee and 2. a good employee that doesn't sneak smokes when ground rules say no

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Bro your squatting those numbers u got some serious mental fortitude.

U can definitely power through the withdrawls
Read: (as many times as it takes ut at least 2x) Allen Carr's, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
The worst thing is the idiot was told not to smoke inside the vehicle and he still did in those cold weather sitting inside nice and worm.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Read: (as many times as it takes ut at least 2x) Allen Carr's, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Odd that those of us who smoke are considered unintelligent or weak-willed. I'm perfectly aware of how bad these things are for me. I know quite well how terrible they smell to those who don't smoke. I am always conscientious of the people around me and I don't light up when it's not appropriate.

Funny - it was my dad dying of cancer that started me smoking, and my mother's murder that got me off the vape and back onto cigarettes. It's my comfort-crutch, what I turn to when I'm stressed, and knowing it's bad for me hasn't been enough to get me off of them yet.

Will I quit? Eventually. Lots of life changes right now, and hubby and I will have to quit together (one can't keep it up while the other quits, that much I know).

Does the fact that I smoke make me less valuable as a person? Because frankly that seems to be the majority opinion. Personally, I prefer to think not.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Odd that those of us who smoke are considered unintelligent or weak-willed. I'm perfectly aware of how bad these things are for me. I know quite well how terrible they smell to those who don't smoke. I am always conscientious of the people around me and I don't light up when it's not appropriate.

Funny - it was my dad dying of cancer that started me smoking, and my mother's murder that got me off the vape and back onto cigarettes. It's my comfort-crutch, what I turn to when I'm stressed, and knowing it's bad for me hasn't been enough to get me off of them yet.

Will I quit? Eventually. Lots of life changes right now, and hubby and I will have to quit together (one can't keep it up while the other quits, that much I know).

Does the fact that I smoke make me less valuable as a person? Because frankly that seems to be the majority opinion. Personally, I prefer to think not.
Why do you call it a murder?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Why do you call it a murder?
Because my mother was killed (beaten to death, including her ribs and legs being shattered by a toilet tank lid). The murderer dropped dead of an aneurysm the week before his trial started.

Sad as it was, her case was used by the coroner and the AG for the state of South Carolina as a chance to revisit laws regarding the abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults (mom was in a wheelchair). Hopefully her death will help to prevent the deaths of others. I can only hope she would take some comfort from a legacy like that.

Cleaning up the aftermath was the hardest thing I've ever done.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Being an ass kicker employee doesn't have anything to do with being a smoker as Im sure you really know. Coincedince likely.

I get that you want to defend smokers because you are probably an awesome worker that happens to smoke.

But, in the end I agree - strong no for smokers. Take too much time smoking. Consistent coughing is annoying. And the smell (while not bothersome to the smoker) is often very bothersome and noticeable to non smokers.

Not to mention cigarettes kill. Yes, many things kill I understand that. But today, smoking has a negative stigma and most informed, awesome people are making efforts to do without it.

My $.03!!
Never said being an ass kicker employee had anything to do with being a smoker, just that being a smoker shouldnt disqualify them from being an ass kicker employee.

Im not an awsome "worker" im an awsome multi truck and multi business "owner" lol. That doesnt disqualify employees abilities and drive due to them being smokers.

In the end your completely entitled to your opinion i respect that....however i can promise you you have or will miss out on a great employee by disqualifying all smokers.

Your correct cigarettes do kill, but there are alot of well informed awsome people in this world that do still smoke. Thats my 3 pennies :cigar:
Hell, @Mama Fen is a smoker and is prob one of if not the most intelligent and well spoken individuals on this board.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Unless everything is spelled out to the letter in your employees handbook sounds like a bunch of bullsh!t discrimination to me in many of these posts. In America if it's legal you get a fair shake from this guy.

If it came down to a non smoking millennial and a smoking ex marine I will take the marine smoker every effin time. I have an addictive personality and always will and I don't think I'm as judgey as many in this thread. Freedom of choice means a lot to me and many of the finest people I know have had vices that most scoff at. It's their loss in my opinion.

Last edited:

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Because my mother was killed (beaten to death, including her ribs and legs being shattered by a toilet tank lid). The murderer dropped dead of an aneurysm the week before his trial started.

Sad as it was, her case was used by the coroner and the AG for the state of South Carolina as a chance to revisit laws regarding the abuse or neglect of vulnerable adults (mom was in a wheelchair). Hopefully her death will help to prevent the deaths of others. I can only hope she would take some comfort from a legacy like that.

Cleaning up the aftermath was the hardest thing I've ever done.
Sounds like God didnt wanna waste good peoples time with a trial and took care of the piece of shit, hopefully the aneurysm was excruciatingly painfull before the devil took him to hell. Theres a special place in hell for people like him @Mama Fen

Reactions: Jim Davisson

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Smoking Marine over Millenial all day long every day for me to @Jim Davisson Marine would work circles around the Millenial

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Sounds like God didnt wanna waste good peoples time with a trial and took care of the piece of shit, hopefully the aneurysm was excruciatingly painfull before the devil took him to hell. Theres a special place in hell for people like him @Mama Fen
Anyone who harms another person, particularly someone vulnerable, deserves a special kind of suffering.

Alas, I'd have liked it if he'd had to stand in front of a judge and jury and FACE what he did to her. I'd have liked him to hear a person of authority tell him that what he did was cruel, and wrong, and that he destroyed not just a magnificent woman but her family - daughter, sisters, brother - as well. Didn't happen. I can only trust that wherever he is now, his mental illness is gone and he is able to process what he did.

Reactions: SRD

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Anyone who harms another person, particularly someone vulnerable, deserves a special kind of suffering.

Alas, I'd have liked it if he'd had to stand in front of a judge and jury and FACE what he did to her. I'd have liked him to hear a person of authority tell him that what he did was cruel, and wrong, and that he destroyed not just a magnificent woman but her family - daughter, sisters, brother - as well. Didn't happen. I can only trust that wherever he is now, his mental illness is gone and he is able to process what he did.
Mama nothing but a heart felt condolences to you. It was extremely hard to bury my parents, even though it's the natural order of things and they prepared me well for it. Your situation is beyond compare...

Reactions: Select and SRD

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Mama nothing but a heart felt condolences to you. It was extremely hard to bury my parents, even though it's the natural order of things and they prepared me well for it. Your situation is beyond compare...
Honestly, you guys got me through it whether you knew it or not. Every time I wanted to lie in bed and mope and cry and give up, I was reminded that I had a job to do, and I had to smile when people walked through the front door.

I know it was pretty obvious I was sad and in a 'bad place' when you guys saw me during that time, but I did my best to hide it 'til I could smile for real. And when I compare my life today to what it was then, I can genuinely say I am stronger, wiser, and happier than I ever was before.

When you've been through something that traumatic, and survive it, it makes the piffling little trivial nonsense so much easier to deal with.

Nietzsche was right about several things - one of my favorites being, "there are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth".

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
43 brother
That’s a hell of a bench. You bench 480 with a pause or touch and go? I’m with you on dead’s, right there on squats but no where near you on flat bench. I was working toward a one rep max PR on 405 till I tore up my AC joint this October. Still f’d up too. 5”8 205lbs. You overhead strict press? My best is 245lbs beltless with wrist wraps. 250 w/ belt and wraps and I failed on 255 but honestly it was almost there. Think I just didn’t rest enough in between that and 250.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
That’s a hell of a bench. You bench 480 with a pause or touch and go? I’m with you on dead’s, right there on squats but no where near you on flat bench. I was working toward a one rep max PR on 405 till I tore up my AC joint this October. Still f’d up too. 5”8 205lbs. You overhead strict press? My best is 245lbs beltless with wrist wraps. 250 w/ belt and wraps and I failed on 255 but honestly it was almost there. Think I just didn’t rest enough in between that and 250.
Slow touch and go with proper form no pause with that weight. Overhead press haven't maxed in a long time cause ive got bad rotator cuffs and im always scared of blowing one out but but usually rep 3 sets of 8 to 10 with 185. Last time i maxed on overhead press was prob 8 years ago and did 280 but was in alot better condition than i am now

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Slow touch and go with proper form no pause with that weight. Overhead press haven't maxed in a long time cause ive got bad rotator cuffs and im always scared of blowing one out but but usually rep 3 sets of 8 to 10 with 185. Last time i maxed on overhead press was prob 8 years ago and did 280 but was in alot better condition than i am now
Actually flat bench is worse for your shoulders than overhead press. Standing strict overhead barbell press when performed properly is safer and recruits more muscles. Oh I didn’t mention I was referring before to standing strict overhead barbell press. To me it’s actually
A true measure of pressing power.