Would you hire a cigarette smoker? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you hire a cigarette smoker?

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
My Mom is a smoker,
And I used to get trapped in the car as a kid with her smoking....I hated it so much and would scream but she continued
So, I have always hated the smell
And I refuse to put up with it
Back in the day I walked away from quite a few interested girls who lit up
Never kissed a girl who was a smoker
It’s funny now there’s no smoking in the clubs all you can smell is body odour...
I’ve never had a cup of coffee or a cigarette
And people taking breaks for both shits me

Work until your finished, go home and do what you do!
Can’t say much about coffee because every one drinks the crap
But smoking, no way, not when I was a mechanic and managed a workshop
Because I couldn’t work with a smoker, I would have to walk away from the smell
Im not putting up with the stink and if I didn’t work nothing got finished, so meant they couldn’t have a job - not sorry
Had one smoker I could put up with
He would have a smoke in the Park across the road at lunch, but he soon left, suited me fine haha
I can smell if someone is smoking in their car in front of me so I will change lanes

If a weed smoker can wait till end of the day
So can a tobacco smoker

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It's not about weakness, it's an addiction like anything else.

Nicotine is naturally produced in your body and the artificial nicotine you smoke is very chemically similar and it alters the receptors in your body. Withdrawal happens because your body cant fit the natural receptors back in for a little while.

I'd say it's one of the hardest things a person can do

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
This thread has me seriously thinking about trying to quit, ive smoked since i was 16 and im 43.....tried in the past but have some serious withdrawals and i become a raging asshole when trying to quit......what @ACP said about being mentally weak really got my wheels turning.....hate admitting it but hes right not being able to quit is a mental weekness, and that bugs the shit out of me
Bro your squatting those numbers u got some serious mental fortitude.

U can definitely power through the withdrawls

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Think im gonna try @ACP....pushing weight has always been pretty easy for me just focus on the lift and set goals.....quiting smoking has always been super tough and even when i quit for a time its so easy to fall back into it

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Could prob bump my numbers significantly if i had the oxygen back ciggs are robbing me of.

Reactions: Select

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
Could prob bump my numbers significantly if i had the oxygen back ciggs are robbing me of.
Try going to PT @ 4.45 in the morning still drunk getting into base around 3 AM finishing the whole course and the DI ( drill instructor) never even suspected of you being drunk, now this is fortitude

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Nice dude those are some huge numbers

My tech was no body builder lol, customer called me one time he was pacing in front of her house back and forth....

His entire left side arm and all had went to sleep, I told him to call 911 he wouldnt even do it.. drove himself to the nearest fire station where he claims they checked him out lol.

Honestly dude could die any day wouldnt even surprise me
Just an FYI fire stations around here will do a quick wellness check on you if you go in. I’ve heard of people with heart issues going to them.

Kxp

Nov 28, 2017
Real Name
Kenneth Pena
SRD go to your doctor and ask him for Wellbutrin I stopped in two weeks my father in law in one week it works and you don’t have to keep taking the meds just till you lose the craving

Reactions: rob allen and SRD

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
This thread has me seriously thinking about trying to quit, ive smoked since i was 16 and im 43.....tried in the past but have some serious withdrawals and i become a raging asshole when trying to quit......what @ACP said about being mentally weak really got my wheels turning.....hate admitting it but hes right not being able to quit is a mental weekness, and that bugs the shit out of me
You're just a year or so younger then me. I found best time to quit was when you get sick. Last i smoked i had the flu. It was painful to smoke and i smashed the pack. And told myself i would not buy another pack after getting better. I bumbed them off other people though. Of course the price being what it is. Bumbing them didnt last long. And that was it. For years i felt like i was missing something. Being at the bar around others smoking made me want to buy a pack but i resisted. Then smoking bans went in banning it from bars and restaurants. That definitely helped. No way was i walking away from my beer to stand out in the rain and snow to kill myself with an overpriced cigarette.

Everyone in my family who lived into their 90's didnt smoke. They had high blood pressure and high triglycerides like me. The ones who did, didnt make it past early 70's. They said my grandmoms lung capacity was like breathing through a coffee straw in the end. My old neigbor got throat cancer. They put a hole in his throat and he went through radistion for what seemed like ever. He beat it. But i think he still has that hole in his throat. He complained about shaving.
This is one of those things you need to keep telling yourself about all the negatives. And that your lungs recuperate so quitting does in fact help. Its not like oh well the damage has been done so why quit you know what im sayin.
Fkn Price of a pack is more than enough motivation for me lol. Its insane what they cost. Think when i quit they were around or just under 3 bucks a pack.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
My father died of lung cancer, or more specifically, he died because his lungs were so damaged by smoking the surgery wasn't going to save him. Surgeon gave him a choice, die from the cancer or die from the surgery.

He opted for surgery and lived a few months till his heart finally stopped in his sleep. Most likely due to low oxygen levels.

• Sad
Reactions: Odin

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I knew a guy who just passed about 4 months ago, only 38. He smoked, vaped and drank 2 large tall can rockstars per day.

His heart just suddenly stopped.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I knew a guy who just passed about 4 months ago, only 38. He smoked, vaped and drank 2 large tall can rockstars per day.

Damn thats tragic way to young, thats like a trifecta of puting bad shit in your body.

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Brutal

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Pack of 25 cigarettes up here in Manitoba Canada is $20 ( approx $15 US). Government taxes the shit out of alcohol and tobacco. Helps cover our so called “Free Health Care”. Hey, tobacco and alcohol related medical conditions are a big burden on health care so tax those that indulge and put cost on so called free health care.
Nope, huge turn off to customers the smell of cig smoke on a person.
Smokers don’t think they smell of smoke but they do.
I have had helpers who smoke, I wouldn’t allow them to light up on the job . Don’t like this.... bye .
Got nothing against smokers ( I will have the odd cigar at weekly poker game)

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I have one lady who does janitorial for me that smokes. I think it's dumb, especially because she is always broke and has kids/grandchildren, but she is a hard worker and she works alone so I don't mind. She wants to quit but hasn't been able to. It's a rough addiction, no doubt. I give people alot of credit when they quit.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have one lady who does janitorial for me that smokes. I think it's dumb, especially because she is always broke and has kids/grandchildren, but she is a hard worker and she works alone so I don't mind. She wants to quit but hasn't been able to. It's a rough addiction, no doubt. I give people alot of credit when they quit.
My mom quit after 35 years of smoking at. I remember her throwing up and being super sick. Now she is 93 and the Dr's say her lungs look great. Very inspiring.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Vaping is a great alternative. ALL the vaping deaths recently have been associated with black market marijuana liquids.
I use a very low nicotine liquid and it has helped me quit smoking.
It's also a lot cheaper as well as odorless

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
People do quick only when something bad happens to them, I tried 1000000 times to quit and couldn't till one day I have fainted and its been 10 years no smoking since, I hate the smell of it, can't stand smokers any more.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
My dad smoked for 50 years till his lungs started to quit on him and he stopped smoking 5 years ago and luckily he is still alive. My grand father was a chimney, when he was dying from cancer one of his last words were if the pipe was made from gold I would not smoke any more, but it was too late for him, we lost him at 56.