Would you hire a cigarette smoker? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you hire a cigarette smoker?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Now before anyone get's their feelings hurt let me put this into perspective. One, I have never had a good long lasting employee that was a smoker. Two, the smell of nicotene from cigarettes is pretty bad. Third, vaping is a much cleaner alternative and one I'd overlook. Forth, my father died of lung cancer from smoking 2 packs Lucky Strikes a day. Fifth, it's against my core beliefs.

I just cant seem to overlook cigarette smoking in this day and time. (Cannabis for health reasons not my concern)
I really don't want another cigarette smoker on my team ever again but that's me. The question is, would you hire a cigarette smoker in this day and time?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Nope

I don’t want a portable ashtray waking into my clients home. Just the same if they had horrible BO and dragons breath.

Those odors can be very offensive and don’t promote trust or confidence imo

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I smoke and i can promise you i work circles around most people smoker or non smoker. Some of the best ass kicker employees ive ever had were and are smokers. I would never use that as a basis for determining employment it would be hypocritical on my part, just set ground rules up front and stick by them.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I smoke and i can promise you i work circles around most people smoker or non smoker. Some of the best ass kicker employees ive ever had were and are smokers. I would never use that as a basis for determining employment it would be hypocritical on my part, just set ground rules up front and stick by them.
How do you manage the odor? That’s what gets me and some smokers feel entitled to a boatload of breaks simply cuz they smoke.

How have you managed other smokers? Like never light up at a customers or don’t smoke in the vans?

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This is no way to be inferred as a reflection of everyone who smokes cigarettes. I have four brothers and my favorite brother Keith smokes a couple packs today. And you’re right he can work circles around just about everybody I know. But I do admit if we ever did work together again the smell of nicotine would be of some concern.

I just feel there has been a shift in society in the last five or 10 years where more people are looking down upon cigarette smoking and yet looking favorably upon marijuana and vaping as cleaner and healthier alternatives. So from a business perspective I like to keep my eyes open to trends that might affect my my family business.

This all being said here is something very interesting. My brother Keith went in for a check up for the first time in his life at 53 years old. The doctors were surprised how well his lungs looked for a lifetime 2 pack a day smoker. He is convinced it was probably because of inhaling butyl based presprays for all those years.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Man... in 26 years ive never had a customer complain or act offended im very mindful of it because i smoke and most people wont usually just come out and say you stink. Usually if someone doesnt hotbox a cigg in a confined area the smell isnt significant, keep breath mints or gum on you. As far as vans i allow my guys to smoke in the vans but they do so with the window down or cracked, ive had non smokers work for me and none have ever complained of how the vans smell, unless someone forgot to dump the waste tank and it sat all weekend lol

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I had one employee in 20+ years that thought it would be ok to smoke in an empty apartment my guy that was working with him that day called and told me what happened. I met them at the next property, took the guy back to the shop and wrote him his final check.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I have a 24 foot enclosed trailer that we set on restoration jobs it has a mobile office in the front of it, thats the only place my guys on my restoration crews are allowed to smoke when on the job. My carpet cleaning guys smoke between jobs while driving to the next one

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
If your clothes don't stink like a ashtray and you don't smoke in their drive way. I do not think people have a right to complain about a contractor doing labor that is hooked on nicotine...

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
This is no way to be inferred as a reflection of everyone who smokes cigarettes. I have four brothers and my favorite brother Keith smokes a couple packs today. And you’re right he can work circles around just about everybody I know. But I do admit if we ever did work together again the smell of nicotine would be of some concern.

I just feel there has been a shift in society in the last five or 10 years where more people are looking down upon cigarette smoking and yet looking favorably upon marijuana and vaping as cleaner and healthier alternatives. So from a business perspective I like to keep my eyes open to trends that might affect my my family business.

This all being said here is something very interesting. My brother Keith went in for a check up for the first time in his life at 53 years old. The doctors were surprised how well his lungs looked for a lifetime 2 pack a day smoker. He is convinced it was probably because of inhaling butyl based presprays for all those years.
I think your right, definitely a stigma attached to it, but hell now vaping is killing people.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I think your right, definitely a stigma attached to it, but hell now vaping is killing people.
Seems everything is these days.

Reactions: SRD

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Nope.. big nope.

Had a tech for 3yrs who was a smoker and honestly it was such a pain in the ass that was lifted when he was gone.

It used to not bother me but now I cant really relate to people who do meaningless shit to destroy their health and strength. I try to motivate my friends to get in the gym and lift and I just prefer to be surrounded by strong healthy people.

Our smoker tech was a super unhealthy dude.. always coughing, hauking lugies, poor diet, zero gains, beer belly. Just weak mentally and physically

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
had a guy who smoked work for me for a few days his whole day revolved around the cigarettes, I would ask on a job where did you go had to go for a smoke. Stop here got to get some smokes, big pain in the ass, so I told him no smoking while on the clock. he quit.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
had a guy who smoked work for me for a few days his whole day revolved around the cigarettes, I would ask on a job where did you go had to go for a smoke. Stop here got to get some smokes, big pain in the ass, so I told him no smoking while on the clock. he quit.
My cousin worked with me he did same crap. Almost to the job and hey can you drive by a 7-11. I need to pick up smokes. This being after he showed up late. Every trip out to the van for a tool was at least 10 minutes. Everytime i looked away he disappeared. I said smoke at lunch dude fk this crap. But but thats my lunch break. Well you can choose to eat at lunch because its called lunch. Or you can smoke as many cigarettes as you can instead of you know eating lunch. Ahh thats fkd up. You know other companies have smoke breaks. Correction coffee breaks but yeah unions do. But this aint union.

Speaking of union. My buddy applied. They all had to meet in the building before 7:30. My friend sat inside waiting. Others stood outside smoking. 7:30 they locked the door lol. They all got there early and instead of following that simple instruction be in the building before. They got locked out and couldn't take the test. He said they were yelling in the door "but we were here" they said instructions were specific to be IN the building. :D typical smokers expecting everyone to wait on them.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Nope.. big nope.

Had a tech for 3yrs who was a smoker and honestly it was such a pain in the ass that was lifted when he was gone.

It used to not bother me but now I cant really relate to people who do meaningless shit to destroy their health and strength. I try to motivate my friends to get in the gym and lift and I just prefer to be surrounded by strong healthy people.

Our smoker tech was a super unhealthy dude.. always coughing, hauking lugies, poor diet, zero gains, beer belly. Just weak mentally and physically
Guess alot of smokers are like that, but some aren't its definitely an unhealthy habit i wont disagree with you there. However Im 6'2" 260, last max on bench 6 months ago was 480, squat 495, deadlift 585. Cardio wise your right im not in the best of shape but one thing i am is a strong mutherfudgeer lol. My best friend and gym partner smokes about a pack a day has multiple state titles in body building at 6'5" 290 and around 3% body fat. All im saying is i dont disagree with you just saying not everyone can be lumped into that category. Also besides the inability to quit smoking at the moment, mentally week is the last thing anyone that knows me would use to describe me.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Guess alot of smokers are like that, but some aren't its definitely an unhealthy habit i wont disagree with you there. However Im 6'2" 260, last max on bench 6 months ago was 480, squat 495, deadlift 585. Cardio wise your right im not in the best of shape but one thing i am is a strong mutherfudgeer lol. My best friend and gym partner smokes about a pack a day has multiple state titles in body building at 6'5" 290 and around 3% body fat. All im saying is i dont disagree with you just saying not everyone can be lumped into that category. Also besides the inability to quit smoking at the moment, mentally week is the last thing anyone that knows me would use to describe me.
How old are you? I smoked the whole time while lifting weights also. Ran miles around the track without getting winded. Lol honestly i think thats what kept the excess weight off. I stopped lifting but kept the high protien diet then quit smoking. Bad bad quiting smoking good but bad too lol.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
How old are you? I smoked the whole time while lifting weights also. Ran miles around the track without getting winded. Lol honestly i think thats what kept the excess weight off. I stopped lifting but kept the high protien diet then quit smoking. Bad bad quiting smoking good but bad too lol.
43 brother

Reactions: keep it clean

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Nice dude those are some huge numbers

My tech was no body builder lol, customer called me one time he was pacing in front of her house back and forth....

His entire left side arm and all had went to sleep, I told him to call 911 he wouldnt even do it.. drove himself to the nearest fire station where he claims they checked him out lol.

Honestly dude could die any day wouldnt even surprise me

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
This thread has me seriously thinking about trying to quit, ive smoked since i was 16 and im 43.....tried in the past but have some serious withdrawals and i become a raging asshole when trying to quit......what @ACP said about being mentally weak really got my wheels turning.....hate admitting it but hes right not being able to quit is a mental weekness, and that bugs the shit out of me