Would you get the water otter or the airhog?

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Why would you get the one over the other?

My set up is a Nautilus Extreme with 500 psi, excellent vacs. Would like the extra psi the water otter or water hog has to offer.

I run out of my van.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Recheck the bypass on the water otter...
Don't think it bypasses and will burn up in 5 minutes uf not in use

Believe the water hog has a bypass.....

Or i may have them backwards....
The one from mytee has the bypass???

Reactions: Ed Cruz

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
The water otter has a bypass regulator with a short hose which recirculates back to the pump inlet.
It is short so it wouldn't take long to heat up if allowed to idle too long.
However you could easily bypass to a fresh water tank or waste tank by adding some hose and blocking the return inlet.
I like my water otter. :)

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Water hog... Its nice to have that buffer tank and the ability to add chem. My otter did a few times before hammer the hell out of customers plumbing. I dont know why. I used short laundry machine hose about 4'. But when i used 50' hose it didnt do it. None the less the pump will run cooler if you say put the wand down to scrub a area. The otter has no thermal relief (you can add it) to release heated water. But with the tank it can continually bypass bringing in cooler water.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States

PATRICK YANELLO

Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
Water hog... Its nice to have that buffer tank and the ability to add chem. My otter did a few times before hammer the hell out of customers plumbing. I dont know why. I used short laundry machine hose about 4'. But when i used 50' hose it didnt do it. None the less the pump will run cooler if you say put the wand down to scrub a area. The otter has no thermal relief (you can add it) to release heated water. But with the tank it can continually bypass bringing in cooler water.
Great post.

Reactions: keep it clean

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
@John LaBarbera

I had a chat with a Mytee rep yesterday inquiring if they can modify the Water Hog that instead of using the 1 1/2Hp motor, they use a 1/2Hp motor and also add chemical injection. The answer is NO. They don't modify the equipment they're offering. I find it odd not to offer customers option. I have the water otter that I was using last winter for my winter set-up and it was not fun lugging 50lbs to the 2nd floor of a 2 storey house to connect to the shower. I don't pressure feed using the faucet as the faucet stem is not designed to hold pressure so it is prone to leak. The 1/2 Hp is manageable coz its 1/2 the weight. The 1 1/2 Hp is also an overkill since I don't do tile and grout. I like the tank since it provides a bypass loop and keeps the pump colder. The chemical injection is also a must since I use high Ph pre-spray.

Does anybody here know of a company who can do this modification? I just don't understand why Mytee won't.

John LaBarbera

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, Ca
www.mytee.com
Real Name
John LaBarbera
@John LaBarbera

I had a chat with a Mytee rep yesterday inquiring if they can modify the Water Hog that instead of using the 1 1/2Hp motor, they use a 1/2Hp motor and also add chemical injection. The answer is NO. They don't modify the equipment they're offering. I find it odd not to offer customers option. I have the water otter that I was using last winter for my winter set-up and it was not fun lugging 50lbs to the 2nd floor of a 2 storey house to connect to the shower. I don't pressure feed using the faucet as the faucet stem is not designed to hold pressure so it is prone to leak. The 1/2 Hp is manageable coz its 1/2 the weight. The 1 1/2 Hp is also an overkill since I don't do tile and grout. I like the tank since it provides a bypass loop and keeps the pump colder. The chemical injection is also a must since I use high Ph pre-spray.

Does anybody here know of a company who can do this modification? I just don't understand why Mytee won't.
What the weight difference between a 500 psi pump and a 1200?

Reactions: StevenB.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
@John LaBarbera

Simple is my game now. I got both 1005dx and LX on the way, these machines are great and very compact for high rises with a mytee tray that you can carry all in one shot. For homes I leave it in the van strong enough for long hose runs. Simple.

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
What the weight difference between a 500 psi pump and a 1200?
1.5 HP M44 motor is 39 lb.
0.5 HP M58 motor is 24 lb (lower amp)
0.5 HP M18 motor is 18 lb. (higher amp)

Differrence between M44 and M58 is 15 lbs so it will reduce water hog weight from 50 to 35 lb.

If using the M18 it will be 21 lbs so the water hog will now be 29 lbs instead of 50 lbs.

I have a water otter and I know how heavy 50 lbs is, 29 lbs is more manageable for smaller guys like me.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
The Otter will have you walking sideways 'cause it is heavy, but very reliable (I have one, to which I added a Dwyer meter for chemical injection).

The Mytee is more attractive, but I have never used one, so I can't comment other than the specs are pretty equal enough on both of them.

Chemical injection is important to me.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
get a gas pump....thats what i have....forget the electric...

easier....... been using 2 of these for a while now......
unlimited pressure and easier maintenance....imo

pm me for more details if interested

Reactions: Fedri

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
The Otter will have you walking sideways 'cause it is heavy, but very reliable (I have one, to which I added a Dwyer meter for chemical injection).

The Mytee is more attractive, but I have never used one, so I can't comment other than the specs are pretty equal enough on both of them.

Chemical injection is important to me.
So you added the Dwyer meter into the Auto fill in an auxillary tank, right? Like this one?

Is this the only way to add chemical injection? Only when the tank is auto filling? That's why I like the Water Hog because it already has a tank and a bypass loop for the pump. I just don't like the weight and no chemical injection. I also need to inject acid rinse since my pre-spray is high PH. Thanks

Vacuum Thingymajigger

Apr 20, 2018
Real Name
Carlito Pozon
get a gas pump....thats what i have....forget the electric...

easier....... been using 2 of these for a while now......
unlimited pressure and easier maintenance....imo

pm me for more details if interested
This would be a nice option if truck mounted but if you need to carry inside, not possible.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
This would be a nice option if truck mounted but if you need to carry inside, not possible.
agree but unwinding 200-300' of pressure hose is really easy and lite weight if you get the right hose(cobb hose)

i can literally unwind 250' of hose in 1 minute or less......
easier to hook up outside water......

you can still use your portable with a gas pump and not have to use an extra extension cord.......

youu can also just add soap to your water tank......

however i do understand cold winters......

Last edited:

Latest posts