Would you be upset...???? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would you be upset...????

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
phonebook_zpsempenjbd.jpg

So I advertised about a month with dex media. After being lied to for a month, and getting scammed into their BS, I cancelled my advertising and got all my money back after they listened to the recordings, and heard how bad I was lied to by their salesman.

Now 2 months later, their phone book came out, and they put an add for my buisness in the book. I did not ask for it since I do put a small ad in our other local phone book.

They have a wrong phone number, which I have been told by other people that they pick a different number so they can track who called you from the phone book number. They put "bug and upholstery cleaning" I thing it was suppose to be "rug." I also do not do tile and grout cleaning at the moment. Where did they get this bogus info from? The add looks like crap! And I did not approve any of this? This makes me mad! Plus it looks like crap with the "bug cleaning!!" How would you guys feel?

I know the phone book is a thing of the past, but it still pisses me off they put this ad in with a different phone than my business number, and the typo errors, and the false information they provided about my buisness.

Last edited:

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
phonebook_zpsempenjbd.jpg

So I advertised about a month with dex media. After being lied to for a month, and getting scammed into their BS, I cancelled my advertising and got all my money back after they listened to the recordings, and heard how bad I was lied to by their salesman.

Now 2 months later, their phone book came out, and they put an add for my buisness in the book. I did not ask for it since I do put a small ad in our other local phone book.

They have a wrong phone number, which I have been told by other people that they pick a different number so they can track who called you from the phone book number. They put "bug and upholstery cleaning" I thing it was suppose to be "rug." I also do not do tile and grout cleaning at the moment. Where did they get this bogus info from? The add looks like crap! And I did not approve any of this? This makes me mad! Plus it looks like crap with the "bug cleaning!!" How would you guys feel?

I know the phone book is a thing of the past, but it still pisses me off they put this ad in with a different phone than my business number, and the typo errors, and the false information they provided about my buisness.
Yer mad at free advertising?
Use it as an opportunity to get into tile cleaning.
Only downside is that the tracking number will likely die at the end of the time for renewal of book if you don't buy an ad.
Enjoy the free money in the meantime and try to get them to correct the number when they redo the ad.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Yea I guess it free advising, but it looks horrible, and with the misprint, it still represents my buisness. And now what do I say if a customer calls and ask for a price on tile? Tell them I don't do tile? And wait for them to say "well, the phone says you do." Maybe I'm thinking to much into it...... But this is not something they call edit and redo, it went out to a lot of people! And now my competition is going to laugh when they see I do "bug" cleaning.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
Yea I guess it free advising, but it looks horrible, and with the misprint, it still represents my buisness. And now what do I say if a customer calls and ask for a price on tile? Tell them I don't do tile? And wait for them to say "well, the phone says you do." Maybe I'm thinking to much into it...... But this is not something they call edit and redo, it went out to a lot of people! And now my competition is going to laugh when they see I do "bug" cleaning.
Tile cleaning isn't tricky.
Plenty of good Intel here to find out how to do it.
You got a 175, yer in business.
Hell, I'd even get into 'bug' cleaning if the price was right....
How dirty can a bug be anyway

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I'm thinking about getting into the tile side of it also, we just don't have a big market up here for it. If we don't have carpet, it's laminate.

Why don't I turn my truck mount into a pressure washer? 1200 psi should be enough to get bugs off right? LoL

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States

You are still getting the calls from this number though right?

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
Not yet, phone book just got delivered over the weekend.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
What's the Y-e-l-l-o-w pages?

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
The phonebook is trash but the website is still valuable.

stuey4

Mar 11, 2015
Real Name
Brian Stuhlmiller
I agree, when my son came in the house with the phone book, I told him to take back outside and put it in the garbage can. But then I wanted to look at the yellow pages and see what competition was advertising in it. Then I came across my ad......

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Wait till they bill you.

They did that to me last year except it was the same ad.

They do use a forwarding number like that to track calls.

And if someone asks for a quote on tile and bug cleaning you can simply say we've discontinued that service.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Phone book ad years ago got me an account on base make lots of money from it. Actually works in my area because of the amount of elderly people that come here

Reactions: Mike Krall

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
It clearly ain't what it used to be but January did $2700 in work on 6 jobs for my YP print ad.
Not a huge amount.
Just a piece of the pie in a multitude of ways to get good prospects

I've ran yp ads for year and a half now and it's giving me a 4-1 ROI, not much really but I'll take it anyway I can.

Prosteam-sonomacounty

Premium VIP
Apr 23, 2013
Windsor, California
Real Name
Mike Camacho
I've ran yp ads for year and a half now and it's giving me a 4-1 ROI, not much really but I'll take it anyway I can.
4-1 is excellent in today's world of advertising.
Long gone are the days when you did 10-1 easy on the Yellow pages.
We had a huge savings book about 15 years ago in Sonoma county called "The Sonoma Express".
Did consistently near 15-1.
It was great but all things end.
Seriously, yer killing it at 4-1.
My YP has dropped every year since Internet on the phones was a thing...
I'm at 2-1 now.
I keep it because a few nice clients come from it that you wouldn't get anywhere else.

Reactions: Jose Holguin

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
4-1 is excellent in today's world of advertising.
Long gone are the days when you did 10-1 easy on the Yellow pages.
We had a huge savings book about 15 years ago in Sonoma county called "The Sonoma Express".
Did consistently near 15-1.
It was great but all things end.
Seriously, yer killing it at 4-1.
My YP has dropped every year since Internet on the phones was a thing...
I'm at 2-1 now.
I keep it because a few nice clients come from it that you wouldn't get anywhere else.

I pay $30 a month so it's really not all that much at all but with my small market I gotta be everywhere.

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Having 10 small ads is often better than having 1 massive one.
I've always been a fan of doing a few things at once to get new clients.
You never know what'll work in yer area without trying it

That's the plan this spring. Just signed up with Angie's list and considering Homeadvisor, not a big fan but what am i to do?