Would it be wrong if I charged more than my techs? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would it be wrong if I charged more than my techs?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Would it be wrong if I charged more than my techs if I go out and clean? Before you answer, consider this. My wife goes to a salon where the stylists prices vary according to their experience, demand and price they wish to charge. One of the guys there charges the most and he stays just as busy but makes more. So I ask again, with almost 35 years experience, TMF forums and TMF Training facility would it be wrong if a client asks for me but I charge considerably more?

Cole21

Sep 12, 2016
Real Name
Cole Wuollet
One way that I would think about it is how valuable is the time you spend working on your business instead of in your business? I am going to assume you can get a better ROI working on it then in it, so if someone wants to pull time away from more valuable work they need to make up somewhat for the differnce.

Another thought is it is in no way wrong if you charge more because you are not forcing them to choose you, once they ask for you, you explain why you cost extra (I would probably focus more on your experience and expertise than I would on the first point I made...) and they can decide if it is worth it to them to pay for you or go with one of your techs.

Reactions: rob allen

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Other professions do this as well

CPA's and Investors come to mind, depends if you want the jr or sr member

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Can't see that flying in the cleaning biz - hair either but I'm a guy!

Andrew C

May 24, 2014
Richmond, VA
www.TrueSteamLLC.com
Real Name
Andrew Carr
Would it be wrong if I charged more than my techs if I go out and clean? Before you answer, consider this. My wife goes to a salon where the stylists prices vary according to their experience, demand and price they wish to charge. One of the guys there charges the most and he stays just as busy but makes more. So I ask again, with almost 35 years experience, TMF forums and TMF Training facility would it be wrong if a client asks for me but I charge considerably more?
Yes, wrong in the way that it devalues the work done by your employees...like admitting they do a worse job.

When in reality you may have become lazy after all these years ;)

Steve@GM

Apr 13, 2015
Will County, Illinois
Real Name
Steve Mentzer
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't push it on the customer if you happen to be there to clean the job (ie, an employee called in sick and you have to cover his shift) , however if a customer calls to set up an appointment and asks if the owner himself can come and personally do the job, you can try and treat it as an upsell.
For instance,

"Why of course M'aam, we would be happy to quote you for a special VIP cleaning from our CEO. While we all strive to provide the best service possible, there is no doubt that his decades of experience will ensure you the ultimate clean!"

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't say it's wrong, a business owner can do as he pleases.

I'm not sure an existing customer would understand paying $300 for the job last time and $700 for the same job this time. I also agree that it de-values your techs as you are saying to the customer (indirectly) that they don't do high quality work like you do.

Reactions: Fairway detail

Tanya Jarrett

Apr 18, 2012
A, A
Real Name
Tanya Jarrett
Business Location
United States
I'm with Steve: if someone calls and specifically requests you, that's a completely different thing. It puts a premium on your time and experience. I don't think it means that you devalue your employees but more correctly conveys your level of investment.

I would warn you that it could backfire, as people could request your time when your time would be better spent elsewhere (like EoM book closing, etc.) and they realize that they CAN ask for you specifically. I would also leave this question here, because I can't answer this: what kind of person requests the owner specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Every job is different from the last to the next, if Rob decides to go do a few jobs, then he should be able to charge what ever he wants as long as the client was not quoted certain prices to begin with. So if the client has no price then whos to say what Rob charges, other than Rob?

I would say half my jobs are booked with no price given upfront...

True Pro

Jan 21, 2014
MA.
Real Name
Gilles LeBlanc
Business Location
United States
How much more do you think you can charge? 10-20% ?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Can't see that flying in the cleaning biz - hair either but I'm a guy!
Yeah, and I bet you get bad hair cuts too! :D I stay out of the hair salons myself.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Rob the way I see it is the only way you can be successful at it is if you give up your wife and go gay like her stylist.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, and I bet you get bad hair cuts too! :D I stay out of the hair salons myself.
Me too.
Same barber for like 15years

My stepdad goes there and now my son since he was a toddler he's now 5

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Rob the way I see it is the only way you can be successful at it is if you give up your wife and go gay like her stylist.
Haha

Maybe they share hair stylists already

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Double. 100 a room

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
OUCH!!! Well, I ain't askin for you. I'll take second best any day. :D I'm really a little surprised you still do those type of jobs to be honest unless you just had to or wanted to do it.

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Every job is different from the last to the next, if Rob decides to go do a few jobs, then he should be able to charge what ever he wants as long as the client was not quoted certain prices to begin with. So if the client has no price then whos to say what Rob charges, other than Rob?

I would say half my jobs are booked with no price given upfront...
Because Rob is the owner of his business and his customers expect that his techs be trained to the same level as him, to charge a uniform price and carry themselves as professionals as he would.

Customers are hiring Dry n Clean not Rob Allen.

A hair salon is different. There they are independent contractors renting a booth. The owner works the same way but does not accept tips.