Would it be possible to boost prespray with this? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Would it be possible to boost prespray with this?

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I don't plan on playing chemist any time soon but I saw this at the store and just out of curiosity for educational purposes could it be used to spike prespray? There is also a ph reducer, could that be used as a rinse?

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I am no chemist but I would never put that on my van :dead:
Haha! I don't blame you! I'm just trying to get a better understanding for chemicals and how they work. I'm to new to the game to be mixing and matching my own products. It looks like the main ingredient is sodium carbonate.

mustangcarpet

Jun 19, 2014
Arizona
Real Name
Justin V
Sodium carbonate is used in a lot of carpet detergents but you're better off using cleaners made for carpets.. just professional. I wouldn't use it. You can find good powdered cleaners that people use in the search bar on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: Swani21

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Sodium carbonate is used in a lot of carpet detergents but you're better off using cleaners made for carpets.. just professional. I wouldn't use it. You can find good powdered cleaners that people use in the search bar on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Yeah no plans on going away from my current products. My pro 10k spiked with grout master has been able to tackle all my jobs. Just trying to educate myself a little bit.

Reactions: Robert86

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I don't plan on playing chemist any time soon but I saw this at the store and just out of curiosity for educational purposes could it be used to spike prespray? There is also a ph reducer, could that be used as a rinse?

While you "could" in theory use that there are a bunch of factors to consider.

One is purity of the substance and accuracy of the ingredients components. Now I don't know specifics on the rules when selling a product but there is a thing called uncertainty.

Basically if I tell you something is 10" long it matters how I measured that, did I round numbers, etc. basically if I measured that 10" with a ruler that only has markers at the 1 foot, 2 foot, etc vs a ruler that has markers for each inch. Did I measure it was 9" and rounded to 10".

My point there is they can say it's 50% active ingredient but really it may range from 45-55%.

Then there is impurities in the mix, which will stem from the raw materials and the processing. There may be other components of the mix that aren't active ingredients but may contribute to rapid resoiling and leave residues.

The last factor is, that's not exactly a booster chemical anyway. While it increases pH, it won't add another property to your existing prespray. Your prespray is most likely buffered to keep alkaline, so adding more alkaline isn't really doing anything. Adding an oxidizer as a booster now gives you another mechanism to clean. Adding a solvent as a booster also will give you another mechanism to clean.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Reactions: Scott W

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
While you "could" in theory use that there are a bunch of factors to consider.

One is purity of the substance and accuracy of the ingredients components. Now I don't know specifics on the rules when selling a product but there is a thing called uncertainty.

Basically if I tell you something is 10" long it matters how I measured that, did I round numbers, etc. basically if I measured that 10" with a ruler that only has markers at the 1 foot, 2 foot, etc vs a ruler that has markers for each inch. Did I measure it was 9" and rounded to 10".

My point there is they can say it's 50% active ingredient but really it may range from 45-55%.

Then there is impurities in the mix, which will stem from the raw materials and the processing. There may be other components of the mix that aren't active ingredients but may contribute to rapid resoiling and leave residues.

The last factor is, that's not exactly a booster chemical anyway. While it increases pH, it won't add another property to your existing prespray. Your prespray is most likely buffered to keep alkaline, so adding more alkaline isn't really doing anything. Adding an oxidizer as a booster now gives you another mechanism to clean. Adding a solvent as a booster also will give you another mechanism to clean.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.
Thank you! This is the type of info I was hoping to gain from this thread!