Workers Comp & Program Work need help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Feb 16, 2017
New York, NY
www.trxwaterdamagerestoration.com
Real Name
TRX Water Damage
Business Location
United States
Hey All, Were getting into program work and are getting requests for workers comp and auto vehicle coverage.

Who dealt with this and found ways to avoid the needless expenses. We have general liability and pollution.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
Workers comp is not a needless expense. It is required in most states if you're going to be getting paid through an insurance company, to prevent lawsuits if an employee were to be injured on the jobsite. About the vehicle coverage - not sure what state laws you have, but around here commercial and private coverage are very different.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Hey All, Were getting into program work and are getting requests for workers comp and auto vehicle coverage.

Who dealt with this and found ways to avoid the needless expenses. We have general liability and pollution.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
no way around it.
Its part of being a business and a business owner.
Most states have it all online to make it as easy as possible.
If you are just a one man show or only family with no employees the costs will be very low.

As for commercial insurance for your vehicle. You should already have that. If not,you are NOT covered and if you get in an accident the insurance company will NOT help you as your policy is NOT commercial.

My 2 cents.

Sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear

justlife

Mar 1, 2014
Real Name
lavon lang
Workers comp can be very very very expensive you have to see if the money that you will from that company would be worth the hassle of paying a lot of money for workers comp. If your company doesn't have the funds I would not deal with that company

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Worker's Comp rates are different in each state. Not too bad in Tennessee. A percent of all wages. Be sure to properly categorize workers. A secretary did not pay the same as a carpet cleaner, and so forth.

You can have yourself and family members excluded from the payroll calculations.

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
In Jersey i was paying 3 grand a year just for me. The only reason i had it was the management company i did work for wouldn't pay me if i didn't have it. I was getting an average of 900 a week from them so it was worth it.

Feb 16, 2017
New York, NY
Real Name
TRX Water Damage
Business Location
United States
In Jersey i was paying 3 grand a year just for me. The only reason i had it was the management company i did work for wouldn't pay me if i didn't have it. I was getting an average of 900 a week from them so it was worth it.
This is for WC or auto?

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Pay close attention to the WC for your self and if you have less than three employees (that was in NC). I had the same thing and because I was the owner, the only policy they would write was a ghost policy, which meant it was written as a WC but it covered nothing. It was just paid for and written for such things but still cost a lot. I was able to get around it with the large resort property I was doing work for so it worked out fine. Just check with your state to be sure if you have to cover yourself that you are really covered.

SAA

Nov 16, 2016
Real Name
Joe Adase
Pay close attention to the WC for your self and if you have less than three employees (that was in NC). I had the same thing and because I was the owner, the only policy they would write was a ghost policy, which meant it was written as a WC but it covered nothing. It was just paid for and written for such things but still cost a lot. I was able to get around it with the large resort property I was doing work for so it worked out fine. Just check with your state to be sure if you have to cover yourself that you are really covered.

SAA
Exactly! It did me no good. But they wanted me to have it so i did and made sure they paid for it .

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
Check "compsource" in your state. They are a state funded insurance agency in most states. Much cheaper than most carriers.
I pay $2k-4k in workers comp a year
$1.5k in general liability
$3.5k in auto insurance ( covers my gear as well)

Cat 3

Dec 19, 2014
Real Name
Kevin West
Just when you think you have satisfied the program they ask for more. It can drag out for months......

Feb 16, 2017
New York, NY
Real Name
TRX Water Damage
Business Location
United States
Check "compsource" in your state. They are a state funded insurance agency in most states. Much cheaper than most carriers.
I pay $2k-4k in workers comp a year
$1.5k in general liability
$3.5k in auto insurance ( covers my gear as well)
thanks I'll deff look into it.

Dedicated

Feb 9, 2012
PA
www.1dedicated4u.com
Real Name
Shawn McCaulley
Business Location
United States
In PA if you don't have "employees" your not required to carry workers comp. But a lot of insurance companies, especially for larger corps are now requiring all vendors and even subs to carry it. One of the reasons I'm seriously considering getting out. Not so much the expense but the absolute nightmare dealing with the state. As for auto that is or should be standard.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Dec 4, 2017
Lancaster, PA
Real Name
Patrick Yanello
Business Location
United States
thanks I'll deff look into it.
Hi, Im just running into the need for this and saw your post. Do you have any recommendations on how to handle this or how you handled this?