Wool rugs become yellowish after it dries up | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Wool rugs become yellowish after it dries up

Rax

Jun 2, 2020
Real Name
Ray
Hi guys I'm a newbie here. Customer rung me yesterday that the gugs I steam clean yesterday was become yellowish. I wonder why? It looks clean yesterday when its still wet..

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
That looks more like browning to me and it's most often caused by using either a too high ph rinse or pretreatment and leaving the rug too alkaline ph. I like to leave it near neutral or a little on the acid side. You should use products approved for wool or this will happen again. I think that can be corrected possibly just by rinsing again with an acid rinse or picking up a browning solution. A lot of times the browning solution or a good acid rinse will give instant results. Real browning is always a ph issue. Most suppliers will sell browning treatment. I'd prefer one that is citric acid-based for that. Both my rinse and my browning solutions are citric acid. I normally use either a fine fabric shampoo on wool or a lower ph upholstery prespray that is also safe for wool. I follow with an acid All Fiber Rinse, usually Matrix from Jondon. Wool generally cleans up easily and with very little problem with the right chems.

You can also mix a little of an acid rinse up in a trigger sprayer and lightly spray the browned areas and brush it in. Follow by acid rinse extraction if needed. Dry with fans or outside if weather permits.

Last edited:

Rax

Jun 2, 2020
Real Name
Ray
Thanks, I will try the acid rinse.. my other option is peroxide if it doesnt come off.