Wool carpet bleached out after spot cleaning dog urine

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
If you did not make the damage worse, than you do not have a responsibility to replace it. Sounds like her animal did the damage.

Wool can be dyed. I would not suggest that you try color repair on your own but there are plenty of people who might be able to fix it. I can't say that 100% without seeing some photos. Chris Howel and some of his students have done excellent work. I was able to see some of his color repair on a wool rug in a class I taught a year or two back. I am sure there are also others who have the skill, but Chris keeps a list that makes it easier to find a top professional in a certain location.

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
If you did not make the damage worse, than you do not have a responsibility to replace it. Sounds like her animal did the damage.

Wool can be dyed. I would not suggest that you try color repair on your own but there are plenty of people who might be able to fix it. I can't say that 100% without seeing some photos. Chris Howel and some of his students have done excellent work. I was able to see some of his color repair on a wool rug in a class I taught a year or two back. I am sure there are also others who have the skill, but Chris keeps a list that makes it easier to find a top professional in a certain location.
Barrett Carpet.jpg

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
I have uploaded the picture that I have of the carpet. The weave pattern is very similar to the patched carpet shown a day or two ago.

I will be interested in your thoughts, Scott.

Jan 20, 2009
Ohio
Real Name
Ray
Business Location
United States
I would use the product in an area you are certain the dog hasn't gone. If it doesn't change the color then you know it's them using products.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Are you sure that it is color loss? From the pic it looks almost like powder residue. Maybe baking soda. Any close ups?
Possible homeowner tried something prior. I see resolve do this sometimes. It may not remove color at time of use. But when unsuspecting carpet cleaner cleans carpet. The dye is stripped right from the carpet. Leaving the cleaner in shock trying to figure out what they did wrong.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
While a photo is not always easy to tell what has occurred, if it is color loss/ alteration, it does look like it could be color corrected.

To also answer the question earlier asking if bleach can be tested for, the answer is yes, that is the short answer.

If you would like more information on possible color correction that you may be able to do, PM me, if you want to and I can show you what may work well with this.

If it is wool, this works well with that fiber. I have done a lot of corrective work on wool carpet just like this and I think it may be a viable option for you.

Let me know.

SAA

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Possible homeowner tried something prior. I see resolve do this sometimes. It may not remove color at time of use. But when unsuspecting carpet cleaner cleans carpet. The dye is stripped right from the carpet. Leaving the cleaner in shock trying to figure out what they did wrong.

The old Resolve formula did indeed cause a violent reaction creating "Reactive Yellowing". They finally changed their formula, though I am not sure how much better, or worse it is.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I have uploaded the picture that I have of the carpet. The weave pattern is very similar to the patched carpet shown a day or two ago.

I will be interested in your thoughts, Scott.
That looks like it would be relatively easy to repair with dye.

I suggest that you contact Chris Howell of Colorful Carpets and /or Melody David of Americolor in Tiigard OR. I think both have lists of their most accomplished students from the dye classes they teach. Chris is very active on Facebook. Melody can be contacted through her company. I am sure a Google search would turn them up.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
That looks mostly correctable. Not sure if the foreground purple hue in the white area is camera generated or optical brighteners from the product the customer used. This is a labor intensive dye repair, but fixable.

You definitely got put in the trick bag on this one. I suspect a reaction from your proper method and the customers improper method. Sometimes rinsing the area before you start is a good idea to remove what the customer denies doing before you got there, just like with fuzzy red stains nobody has worked on before. Situations like this are difficult, because you are being asked to accept responsibility for things that happened prior to your arrival. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, but I would only go so far.

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
Thank you for all the input and suggestions. I will pass these on to the homeowner when I deliver the bad news that we are not paying for new carpeting. In response to the gentleman who mentioned powder residue, we know that there was no powdery substance used on the carpet. Regarding prior attempts by customer or her cleaning person, anything is possible. Having worked most of my career in both retail and wholesale flooring, the last 17 years mostly in to-the-trade showrooms, I would strenuously caution customers to not use any "store bought" carpet cleaners, with Resolve and Woolite at the head of the list. But, they will use what they want to use (and seldom offer up what they used to the carpet cleaner). For over 30 years, Tech has been my go-to for consumer friendly spot cleaning. Haven't found anything better. But for really nasty stains, better to call a professional!

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
While a photo is not always easy to tell what has occurred, if it is color loss/ alteration, it does look like it could be color corrected.

To also answer the question earlier asking if bleach can be tested for, the answer is yes, that is the short answer.

If you would like more information on possible color correction that you may be able to do, PM me, if you want to and I can show you what may work well with this.

If it is wool, this works well with that fiber. I have done a lot of corrective work on wool carpet just like this and I think it may be a viable option for you.

Let me know.

SAA
Thank you.

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
That looks mostly correctable. Not sure if the foreground purple hue in the white area is camera generated or optical brighteners from the product the customer used. This is a labor intensive dye repair, but fixable.

You definitely got put in the trick bag on this one. I suspect a reaction from your proper method and the customers improper method. Sometimes rinsing the area before you start is a good idea to remove what the customer denies doing before you got there, just like with fuzzy red stains nobody has worked on before. Situations like this are difficult, because you are being asked to accept responsibility for things that happened prior to your arrival. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, but I would only go so far.
He did use a pH neutralizing rinse before and after using the Stain Magic for Wool.

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown

Can you tell me how to reach Chris?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
His is better email address and a phone number for Chris Howell -
240-753-5395 colorfulcarpets@verizon.net
Thank you! I have spoken to Chris, a very pleasant and helpful gentleman, and he gave me the name of one his students here in the Phoenix area. Our client seemed amenable to the color correction repair, if a bit skeptical. So, that is our starting point.
Thanks, again.