Wool carpet bleached out after spot cleaning dog urine | Page 2 | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Wool carpet bleached out after spot cleaning dog urine

Discussion in 'Ask Our Chemist!' started by mrsgreenclean44, Apr 6, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Vince Attardo

Vince Attardo New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Male
    CEO of Coastline Environmental Solutions, Inc.
    Signal Hill, CA
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    No guarantee on stain removal especially 100% wool rug with previous stain removal attempts. Client has you work on stains at her own risk in writing before you start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mrsgreenclean44

mrsgreenclean44 New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

3. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Barrett Carpet.jpg

4. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have uploaded the picture that I have of the carpet. The weave pattern is very similar to the patched carpet shown a day or two ago.

I will be interested in your thoughts, Scott.

5. TechnicRay

TechnicRay Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Service manager for a specialty cleaning company.
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I would use the product in an area you are certain the dog hasn't gone. If it doesn't change the color then you know it's them using products.

6. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,678 / 58 / -0
    If they have some spare carpet that can be patched and made to look like it never happened.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tony from Chicago

Tony from Chicago Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure that it is color loss? From the pic it looks almost like powder residue. Maybe baking soda. Any close ups?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,514 / 2 / -0
    Possible homeowner tried something prior. I see resolve do this sometimes. It may not remove color at time of use. But when unsuspecting carpet cleaner cleans carpet. The dye is stripped right from the carpet. Leaving the cleaner in shock trying to figure out what they did wrong.

9. SAA

SAA Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Instructor - Precision Cleaning & Carpet Repair
    NC
    Ratings:
    +2,937 / 3 / -0
    While a photo is not always easy to tell what has occurred, if it is color loss/ alteration, it does look like it could be color corrected.

To also answer the question earlier asking if bleach can be tested for, the answer is yes, that is the short answer.

If you would like more information on possible color correction that you may be able to do, PM me, if you want to and I can show you what may work well with this.

If it is wool, this works well with that fiber. I have done a lot of corrective work on wool carpet just like this and I think it may be a viable option for you.

Let me know.

SAA

• Like Like x 3
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,555 / 7 / -0

The old Resolve formula did indeed cause a violent reaction creating "Reactive Yellowing". They finally changed their formula, though I am not sure how much better, or worse it is.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    Technical support Bridgepoint
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,322 / 11 / -1
    That looks like it would be relatively easy to repair with dye.

I suggest that you contact Chris Howell of Colorful Carpets and /or Melody David of Americolor in Tiigard OR. I think both have lists of their most accomplished students from the dye classes they teach. Chris is very active on Facebook. Melody can be contacted through her company. I am sure a Google search would turn them up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +844 / 2 / -0
    That looks mostly correctable. Not sure if the foreground purple hue in the white area is camera generated or optical brighteners from the product the customer used. This is a labor intensive dye repair, but fixable.

You definitely got put in the trick bag on this one. I suspect a reaction from your proper method and the customers improper method. Sometimes rinsing the area before you start is a good idea to remove what the customer denies doing before you got there, just like with fuzzy red stains nobody has worked on before. Situations like this are difficult, because you are being asked to accept responsibility for things that happened prior to your arrival. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, but I would only go so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for all the input and suggestions. I will pass these on to the homeowner when I deliver the bad news that we are not paying for new carpeting. In response to the gentleman who mentioned powder residue, we know that there was no powdery substance used on the carpet. Regarding prior attempts by customer or her cleaning person, anything is possible. Having worked most of my career in both retail and wholesale flooring, the last 17 years mostly in to-the-trade showrooms, I would strenuously caution customers to not use any "store bought" carpet cleaners, with Resolve and Woolite at the head of the list. But, they will use what they want to use (and seldom offer up what they used to the carpet cleaner). For over 30 years, Tech has been my go-to for consumer friendly spot cleaning. Haven't found anything better. But for really nasty stains, better to call a professional!

14. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you.

15. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    He did use a pH neutralizing rinse before and after using the Stain Magic for Wool.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Can you tell me how to reach Chris?

17. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,322 / 11 / -1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor
    Premium VIP

Feb 14, 2006
    West Jordan, UT
    Ratings:
    +10,322 / 11 / -1
    His is better email address and a phone number for Chris Howell -
    240-753-5395 colorfulcarpets@verizon.net

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I have spoken to Chris, a very pleasant and helpful gentleman, and he gave me the name of one his students here in the Phoenix area. Our client seemed amenable to the color correction repair, if a bit skeptical. So, that is our starting point.
    Thanks, again.

• Like Like x 1