Wool carpet bleached out after spot cleaning dog urine

mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
A long-time client with wool carpet is wanting us to replace the carpet because the last few times my husband has been there to spot clean the areas showed color loss. He has used the same product, Stain Magic for Wool, on several previous spot cleaning for dog urine at her home without ever having any issues. We specialize in wool, with numerous clients that also have pets and pet issues, and never had this problem before. I was at her home recently, discussing replacing the carpet and she mentioned her (aging) dog was confined due to bladder incontinence. Yesterday I asked if the dog was on medication and she confirmed that the dog was on Proin, which, when I looked it up, is Phenylpropanolamine. My question is, could the medication be affecting the urine, and in turn, react with the chemicals in the Stain Magic for Wool? There has be some change in the equation that suddenly has caused the color loss. I don't really want to replace her wool carpet if we are not responsible.

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
A long-time client with wool carpet is wanting us to replace the carpet because the last few times my husband has been there to spot clean the areas showed color loss. He has used the same product, Stain Magic for Wool, on several previous spot cleaning for dog urine at her home without ever having any issues. We specialize in wool, with numerous clients that also have pets and pet issues, and never had this problem before. I was at her home recently, discussing replacing the carpet and she mentioned her (aging) dog was confined due to bladder incontinence. Yesterday I asked if the dog was on medication and she confirmed that the dog was on Proin, which, when I looked it up, is Phenylpropanolamine. My question is, could the medication be affecting the urine, and in turn, react with the chemicals in the Stain Magic for Wool? There has be some change in the equation that suddenly has caused the color loss. I don't really want to replace her wool carpet if we are not responsible.
Several times in the past says to me that her carpet was damaged by the pet not the process. There is a lot of chemistry going on with color loss likely with repeated attempts.

Reactions: Thunder and ratfool

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
It would be great to see photos of what the areas of color loss/alteration look like. The actual pattern of the color loss/alteration would be good to outline if you can in a few photos as well.

Depending on conditions, you may be able to do some corrective work and make it look 'even' again.

I think Steven B. has the logic for what may have occurred here. Difficult to diagnosis from what you wrote but photos
from different angles may help.

SAA

Reactions: StevenB.

powerhouse_cc

Feb 15, 2017
Real Name
Jeff farmer
That's why it's important to have them sign something BEFORE you work saying you are not liable for bleaching, fraying of fibers etc etc even verbally paper is always better though

mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
It would be great to see photos of what the areas of color loss/alteration look like. The actual pattern of the color loss/alteration would be good to outline if you can in a few photos as well.

Depending on conditions, you may be able to do some corrective work and make it look 'even' again.

I think Steven B. has the logic for what may have occurred here. Difficult to diagnosis from what you wrote but photos
from different angles may help.

SAA
I will see if I can get over there to get some pictures. Our insurance agent was skeptical that this situation would be covered, so, even though she's pushing me (nicely, for now) to resolve this, I don't want to fork over $3,400 to order new until I've thoroughly checked this out. Thanks.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
While I fully agree that what is done and what will be done needs to be on paper of some sort, but we can never get the customer to sign away his rights. We cannot protect ourselves with a signature that we are not responsible for something that we cannot foresee. If the people are in agreement and we explain it well, it usually is a non event. Yet, if there is a problem and they take us to court or similar, we could easily lose. Our best protection is to definitely have it in some form and not a pre-written blanket saying of some sort that we are not responsible for anything. We should write in what is said and have the consumer sign it but in reality it does not mean a lot from a legal standpoint. It all depends on the consumer and how much their word means to them to keep their word.

Just as your insurance may not cover it, it usually does not cover it if you have only liability, you need an errors and omissions policy. Insurance does not usually cover what we do that we are supposed to be experts at, it covers stuff that may get broken when we are working.

Also, you never pay for new, there is depreciation to be calculated and the rug may have little value to it. There is a lot more to this than simply paying for something.

You need to check all of this out to know what you can or cannot do and what you may or may not be liable for.

SAA

Reactions: powerhouse_cc

mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. You bring up good points. I had not thought of depreciation (how does one calculate that?), although the carpeting is 7 years old, well maintained (we do her carpet cleaning) and in good condition. Our best case scenario is that we both share the burden of replacement, but, IMHO, it should be of similar color and weave, if her carpet is no longer being made, not a complete change of color and weave.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I agree with all the above. You did not damage the carpet, the dog did. You are there trying to fix the damage caused by the dog. Sometimes you are successful and sometimes not but the bottom line is the customer would not have this problem right now if the dog had not urinated on the carpet.

I understand wanting to take care of the customer but the customer expecting you to replace her 7 year old carpet that her dog has urinated on is unrealistic. See if she will let you patch the carpet or dye it if you are comfortable doing so. Honestly she should be paying for what ever corrective work you do. If you are feeling generous maybe offer to do it at a reduced cost. I wouldn't do it for free.

Don't let her try to guilt you into replacing the carpet or doing the corrective work for free.

Tony from Chicago

Nov 1, 2016
Real Name
Anthony Almerigi
I agree , It's not your fault and not your problem. Let her know that! If you offer to dye or patch the carpet at a reduced price you have done more than enough and let it go. How long has she been a customer of yours?

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Is this a rug or wall to wall?

If it is a rug, what is the size? Can you tell if it is woven or tufted?

All of these these can make a big difference.

Please get photos as it may be possible to color correct the damaged areas but we need to 'see' what is going on to truly help.

As for depreciation, a lot depends on the above also.

SAA

Reactions: Spazznout

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I agree with all the above. You did not damage the carpet, the dog did. You are there trying to fix the damage caused by the dog. Sometimes you are successful and sometimes not but the bottom line is the customer would not have this problem right now if the dog had not urinated on the carpet.

I understand wanting to take care of the customer but the customer expecting you to replace her 7 year old carpet that her dog has urinated on is unrealistic. See if she will let you patch the carpet or dye it if you are comfortable doing so. Honestly she should be paying for what ever corrective work you do. If you are feeling generous maybe offer to do it at a reduced cost. I wouldn't do it for free.

Don't let her try to guilt you into replacing the carpet or doing the corrective work for free.
lol, not long ago a customer made me lose 17 pounds in just one week.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
If you did not make the damage worse, than you do not have a responsibility to replace it. Sounds like her animal did the damage.

Wool can be dyed. I would not suggest that you try color repair on your own but there are plenty of people who might be able to fix it. I can't say that 100% without seeing some photos. Chris Howel and some of his students have done excellent work. I was able to see some of his color repair on a wool rug in a class I taught a year or two back. I am sure there are also others who have the skill, but Chris keeps a list that makes it easier to find a top professional in a certain location.

mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
I agree , It's not your fault and not your problem. Let her know that! If you offer to dye or patch the carpet at a reduced price you have done more than enough and let it go. How long has she been a customer of yours?
Over 6+ years. It would be difficult to patch since its a wool loop and right in the middle, but I would like to investigate the possibility of having it dyed.

mrsgreenclean44

Apr 6, 2017
Real Name
Tina Brown
Is this a rug or wall to wall?

If it is a rug, what is the size? Can you tell if it is woven or tufted?

All of these these can make a big difference.

Please get photos as it may be possible to color correct the damaged areas but we need to 'see' what is going on to truly help.

As for depreciation, a lot depends on the above also.

SAA
This is a wool loop carpet, most likely jute back as most that come in from the UK or Australia, and stretched in. The carpet butts up to travertine on 3 sides and is approximately 15' x 15'. Will try to get photos within a couple of days.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
This is a wool loop carpet, most likely jute back as most that come in from the UK or Australia, and stretched in. The carpet butts up to travertine on 3 sides and is approximately 15' x 15'. Will try to get photos within a couple of days.

If it's berber then it's easier to patch than you might think. I actually find berber easier to patch than any other carpet.

1491870928_zpsiq0lqrdv.jpg

1491870977_zpspxgf0aw9.jpg

Reactions: Scott W

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Great repair Todd.

I agree with Todd, loop pile gives very distinct patterns to follow and that makes it simpler for one to make a repair
following these patterns, IMO. Even with a step over stitch graphic pattern and or a straight stitch.

SAA