Wood floor finish | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Wood floor finish

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Travis Teague, Dec 2, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. Travis Teague

Travis Teague Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Can you look at these pictures. Not sure what happened but finish is cloudy and flakes off in areas. Not sure if someone slapped down polyurethane on old floor. How can I remove this?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    carpet cleaning/installation
    Ratings:
    +5,694 / 3 / -0
    Exactly what happened. Poly needs to be thoroughly prepped. Or it peels like a bad paint job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,694 / 3 / -0
    You can scratch it off with your finger nail cant you?

4. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I can but can't do an entire floor that way. My fingers would be down to the bone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +8,167 / 43 / -0
    whats under the flaked areas? test it.
    your pictures are not clear enough to determine besides it would be unwise to attempt to guess from the screen. what you can do anyway is take a close look at some of the areas where "urethane has chipped" and see what's under. Is the wood protected with a different type of sealer? is it bare wood? test test and test.
    Another thing that can also help is learning the history behind the scene. Did the homeowner try to repair some spots? did they pay someone to do it?

many things could have caused this to happen from contaminated floor to scratched by dragging furniture.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Home owners just purchased the house. It looks like the is a top coat that was warn down but not to the wood in most areas and then someone just applied poly with out even cleaning it. I can see dirt and dog hair in the poly. Some area are warn to Bare wood under the poly. I was hoping I could scrub with red pad and 175 and cleaner and it would come off. Thoughts?

7. Common janitor

Common janitor Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3,445 / 10 / -0
    Tag Jeff ( jtsunbrite ) or PM him . He may have some thoughts .
    All the Best, Ed

8. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,694 / 3 / -0
    Of course not the entire floor. But it tells me if the base coat was prepped prior to poly being put on. You say theres bare wood? Ide sand/refinish if it were me. Take it down to bare wood stain & refinish.

9. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Ed @jtsunbrite any ideas on this.
    Thank you.

10. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I agree it needs a sand a refinish but she can't afford that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. keep it clean

Premium VIP

Dec 3, 2012
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,694 / 3 / -0
    I was goin to mention that in my post. That maybe they couldnt throw alot of money at it at the moment. Being they just purchased the home.

12. floorclean

floorclean Active Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Ratings:
    +382 / 1 / -0
    Possibly the finish was put down properly but it got frozen. This is exactly what will happen in that case as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +8,167 / 43 / -0
    If that is the case, red or even maroon pads are not going to cut it. The least that I would do t o that floor would be a screening. feathering away all the blemishes, apply a coat of "bonding solution" ( I don't remember how it's called this but it is a product that makes the new finish properly bond with the old finish) and apply a finish to the clients liking. This is if I wanted to do it myself. In all honesty, I have walked out of projects like this and recommended a floor refinishing guy. Especially being oil based urethane finish the existing one.

Good luck hope it all goes well if you take on the job.

14. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I still have a few days to think about this one. I might still walk on it. I do eventually want to get into full sand and refinish work. This might be a good lead into that. Better money in refinishing than just cleaning.

15. Dafloorman

Dafloorman Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Ratings:
    +1,662 / 7 / -0
    I would walk on this one, removing that poly is not going to be fun my friend! Refer a wood refinishing company, that’s a different animal than just cleaning and re coating.

16. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,675 / 11 / -0
    looks like a thick wax job on the wood floor, So I would say go take a little stripper in a squirt bottle and do a little area and see if it takes it up, if it does then you have to do the job in small sections and don't over wet it. , now show me some better close ups of the areas but if it is poly that's scratching then its very old poly to do that....

kinda looks like a water borne urethane finish if you look close at the bubbling that is seen... and theres bare areas...

Try a area with stripper and if it doesn't come off, I would dry scrub it with a black pad or a screen and then clean and re poly it,,, a little sanding to clean it up and you can repoly on top of that crap,,, I have done a lot of those jobs and when you are finished they look brand new but I really need to see more pics

I bet stripper will take it all off.

17. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Jeff, I am going out there on Thursday I will try the stripper first. My original thought was some used rejuvenate or other store wax and waxed it every week for a long time.
    I will let you know and post more pictures Thursday.
    Thanks

18. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,675 / 11 / -0
    looks like pergo because its so even with the grains

19. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Update on this wood floor. Jeff you were right it was wax on the floor. I guessing about 50 coats. The think the prior owner used something like Bono wax every week for years. I sprayed stripper on as Jeff said and tried use the red pad on the orick oribitor. It was not wet enough and balled up like snot. I finally used the truckmount with the cobra (tile tool)at like 100 psi. I would mist it with stripper, scrub lightly with my bare hand and use the cobra to extract. This work okay on the entry way but there was less coats of wax. I tried this on the kitchen and found out there was much more layers of wax. I finally got agressive and soaked floor in stripper used red pad to agitate and then used the bonzer to flush and extract. It took about 3 hours to do 100 square feet in the kitchen and I still have wax on the edges. I finally gave up and told custy I would be back on Monday.
    I did use the sanding screen with my hand to test. It took it off very quickly but I am afraid to use the oribitor with it as I don't want to sand the wood. I am definitely in over my head here. Buy I eventually want to get into full hardwood flooring restoration so this is a good learning experience. Any suggestions for me when I go back on Monday? I think I am going to try the screen as stripper and extract is just way to slow.

20. Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
    Male
    Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]