Wonderland Cleaning - Refreshing an Old Business, An Introduction

wonderboy

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
I am a small business owner. I have operated my business for 8 years, since before I was 18. I have 4 almost full time employees and myself. I am just starting to try out a hiring service because of the hassle of finding decent humans. I do light carpet cleaning with a (laugh away) Rug Doctor, but primarily focus on commercial maintenance cleaning, with chiropractors making up a lot of my business. I gross about 15k a month and could net about 5 of it but am consistently reinvesting 2k or so into random products, advertising. I just bought my first van, an old 99 E150 with 150k on it. Decals are on it and its loaded with my shit now so that's nice. Just purchased an Oreck 550MC and starting to service my first floors next week. Would love some conversation about that with someone knowledgeable. Also, got a baseboard scrubber, the Pacific FM-ME on the way from ebay. Considering trying to rig up electric weed whackers as floor scrubbers. Wouldn't be to hard at all. Anyways, just decided to start posting here, I'd love to meet some succesful business owners with some tips for a revitalized young business owner. I walked away from the business for 4 years and let a manager run it. It didn't grow at all. Left it at 4k gross per month 2 people, came back at 5k gross with 2 people. Been back for a year and tripled the gross, only doubled the employees but I'm out of good people and I'm scared shitless someone is going to walk on me. I'm a good boss, I take care of people when they need help, funny nice etc., but it can be hard being the nice guy. I have an aunt who works for me and when I run into productivity or timeliness issues with her it's a real bit. I recently have had to create the concept of "Manager Mode." If I say it's Manager Mode it's serious and needs to change quick. Seems to be working alright. Anyways, just an intro. Any tips for starting floor service, hiring good employees, not driving off a bridge would be great!

Thanks,
Tyler

wonderboy

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
Me who? Hazard a last name guess and we'll see. I doubt it as I'm in Washington.

If you know Wonderland Cleaning I would guess though.

How do I know you?

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Me who? Hazard a last name guess and we'll see. I doubt it as I'm in Washington.

If you know Wonderland Cleaning I would guess though.

How do I know you?
Sorry. Wrong Tyler I guess.
I have been mentoring a guy named Tyler recently. He too just bought an Oreck Orbiter, has a flooring business and I just thought it was you. That's why I emphasized the word, YOU.
Sorry for the mix up.

wonderboy

Nov 20, 2018
Real Name
Tyler Smiley
Hey no problem man. If you want to double down on Tyler's I'm looking for a knowledgeable business owner for some pointers here and there. The business really opens up when you move to commercial and there's so much to choose from it's hard to now what's most profitable, how to price, advertising methods, CRM, hiring, etc. etc. There's no handbook on this shit and I've just been hacking away at it as I go but there are days I feel like I'm swimming in concrete.