Wintertime VLM

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
IMO sometimes VLM urine treatment is the way to go. Not disturbing bacteria that lies beneath and no wicking, even with a water claw flush you may just bring up more problems. Cant beat the mist and walk away of a good USOR...
I used to do the water claw and all that but I stopped doing that years ago because I didn't think it was working and I didn't like wasting customers money or my time. If it was just one spot it could work but when you get into 2-3-4 spots it's not going to work and if the dog is still there why have the customer spend a lot of money he will be doing it again.

Instead I would just clean and spray Deodorizer heavier on urine spots at a much cheaper price than doing the water claw flush all of that.

I would tell customers if they could instead of spending a fortune to clean/deodorize and hope it worked to just replace and get it done right. Customers like honesty and being told the truth.

Not disturbing what is in the padding is a good thing.

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
John you might find this hard to believe, but I actually have a very good reputation in my area. I'm established and have a lot of 10-15-20 year customers. So they trust me. I really don't do any advertising anymore. I just rely on old customers and referrals from customers. So most of my customers didn't even question me about a change in methods. They just gave it a try. 1-2 hour dry times is a good selling point but I did lose a some customers.

On my voice mail or when I talk to customers I tell them that VLM is not recommended for heavily soiled carpet. Heavily soiled, trashed carpet I recommend HWE. I don't even want to do those jobs anymore. I used to do rentals for this one guy in a very low income area for over 10 years. He had 18 properties and they would be black from wall to wall. I no longer do those jobs and I don't want to work in that kind of filth anymore.

When it comes to pet accidents and urine/odor I could write about two pages on the subject but I believe no method works 100%. I do tell customers their best option is to get carpet flushed using HWE.

The problem with (HWE) your using a lot of water and water pressure just pushes the urine down and your not removing 100% of the water or urine. So now you got dirty water with urine still in carpet. There is no perfect way to get odor/urine out of carpet. The only way to get rid of urine and odor 100% is to replace carpet/padding, baseboards, if needed, and seal or replace floor if needed.

So when it comes to pet accidents, if it's just minor urine damage, I tell the customer I'm deodorizing/cleaning/sanitizing down to the backing of the carpet. My aggressive is using clo2 in my Deodorizer/Encap and a CRB that scrubs down to the backing. I'm not doing anything for what's in the backing of carpet or padding or baseboards/floor. I tell them I can only make the situation better but I can't guarantee 100% odor/urine removal. For 100% guarantee of odor/urine removal you need to replace everything. If the customer is ok with that, I do my best.

These are just my opinions. I am not trying to start a VLM - HWE war ... lol
Have you ever had one of your clients that even after you explained about HWE as to severe accidents have they asked for a referral of someone that has a TM?
Just wondering if they did and did it develop an awkward situation between you and them?
Like you said your clients have developed a relationship with you to be able to take care of their cleaning needs.
Ever thought of having a good portable to flush when you need to?

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I have thought about a good portable but I always decide not to buy and to just pass on any job that I would need a portable for.

If I had a customer tell me they wanted HWE and a TM and not VLM I wouldn't be offended or bothered by it at all. I would try to help them. The first thing I would tell them is to not call Stanley Steemer and then I would give the name of a local cleaner that I thought could help them.

A few times over the years when I had TM problems and a customer needed work done right away I would give out a number of a local cleaner that I had heard good things about.

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I used to do the water claw and all that but I stopped doing that years ago because I didn't think it was working and I didn't like wasting customers money or my time. If it was just one spot it could work but when you get into 2-3-4 spots it's not going to work and if the dog is still there why have the customer spend a lot of money he will be doing it again.

Instead I would just clean and spray Deodorizer heavier on urine spots at a much cheaper price than doing the water claw flush all of that.

I would tell customers if they could instead of spending a fortune to clean/deodorize and hope it worked to just replace and get it done right. Customers like honesty and being told the truth.

Not disturbing what is in the padding is a good thing.
All I use anymore is a 175 with cotton bonnets. And maintain clean to lightly soiled carpets. I kept a spotter machine for the spots that just require rinsing. Bonnets can get it but the spotter is just faster sometimes. If piss is that bad i have a knife and duct tape lol. Most people honestly dont want urine cleaned. No matter how hard I tried selling them on cleaning even easy ones. They say nope its disgusting i want new. So my job gets blown out that day but secures me a near future job of replacing it a week later. I can do that. If i didnt know how to install i would definitely have a reliable installers number on hand. And come out with a finders fee working with the installer. Happy installer, happy customer who will still have you clean, and happy you with some spending cash in hand :)

Reactions: george8585

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I love my 13'' Hawk 175 - 300

I do have a good spotting machine but rarely use it.

I used to have a installer that I used. He got out of the business. I gave him a lot of stretches.

A lot of the houses I go into need carpets stretched. Most carpet is not installed properly. They only use that damn kicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: keep it clean

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States

I used to have a installer that I used. He got out of the business. I gave him a lot of stretches.

A lot of the houses I go into need carpets stretched. Most carpet is not installed properly. They only use that damn kicker.

Yeah, professional installations are a thing of the past. Makes sense too, the price you try to charge to do it properly they sneer at you and hire the cheap guy with the knee kicker. Bites you in the ass later though when it has to be re-stretched 2 years later.

Honestly my best tool for urine is the rotary style cleaning with the T-Rex or 360i.

Using a good urine chemical like Rob's or the UnduzIt, let it dwell, LIGHTLY pre-spray because YES a major mistake cleaners make is over-saturating when the carpet has urine. You want the chemical to SURFACE the urine, not push it down.

This is also where I think the rotary is superior, that 360 spinning action sort of negates the downward pressure of the PSI and cuts the surface tension of the soil/urine and the vacuum is able to immediately extract. This is why I can clean 600 PSI with my Apex 570 and have a mostly dry carpet by the time I'm done.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

A lot of installers are getting paid next to nothing working for carpet houses. So they need to do twice to three times the yardage per day to get paid what a owner operator gets in a day. So they kick their way through as fast as they can. Most doing that dont make it as they blow out their knees and backs by their 30’s. I’ve always used a stretcher. Really lightweight carpet in a short area ill bump ‘n run. But anything over 6’ in length gets a stretcher. And all gets a stretch and double strip in winter months. You know what a extension cord is like when frozen. Carpet behaves the same way.

Reactions: george8585

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
A lot of installers are getting paid next to nothing working for carpet houses. So they need to do twice to three times the yardage per day to get paid what a owner operator gets in a day. So they kick their way through as fast as they can. Most doing that dont make it as they blow out their knees and backs by their 30’s. I’ve always used a stretcher. Really lightweight carpet in a short area ill bump ‘n run. But anything over 6’ in length gets a stretcher. And all gets a stretch and double strip in winter months. You know what a extension cord is like when frozen. Carpet behaves the same way.

Good analogy.

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I had a 360i but sold it and got a T-Rex Jr. Loved that T-Rex Jr.
I used it mainly for trashed rentals.

When I was doing HWE and urine jobs I would prespray/deodorize and then CRB and then wand at a lower water pressure about 400 but I like your thinking about using the T-Rex.

A CRB digs out dog hair that a vacuum misses. That doggy smell that sometimes comes after cleaning is usually from wet dog hair still in the carpet.
Going back 20-25 years to my beginning in carpet cleaning I got that doggy smell complaint a few times but eventually learned.

When I would do trashed rentals I used the T-Rex Jr but still would CRB first. I would need a trash bag because I filled up the trays so many times. The carpet looked like it was vacuumed good but what was hiding in the carpet that the vacuum missed always amazed me.

Now doing VLM I CRB every residential job before using OP or 175.

Yeah, professional installations are a thing of the past. Makes sense too, the price you try to charge to do it properly they sneer at you and hire the cheap guy with the knee kicker. Bites you in the ass later though when it has to be re-stretched 2 years later.

Honestly my best tool for urine is the rotary style cleaning with the T-Rex or 360i.

Using a good urine chemical like Rob's or the UnduzIt, let it dwell, LIGHTLY pre-spray because YES a major mistake cleaners make is over-saturating when the carpet has urine. You want the chemical to SURFACE the urine, not push it down.

This is also where I think the rotary is superior, that 360 spinning action sort of negates the downward pressure of the PSI and cuts the surface tension of the soil/urine and the vacuum is able to immediately extract. This is why I can clean 600 PSI with my Apex 570 and have a mostly dry carpet by the time I'm done.

Last edited: