Will you be wearing PPE while carpet cleaning rest of the year? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Will you be wearing PPE while carpet cleaning rest of the year?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Jobs are picking back up and our state may reopen some. Many clients are requesting our techs wear masks. But we already have techs wearing masks, gloves and shoe covers while cleaning. We also wear PPE during shipping. Three questions;

1) Are you wearing PPE while CC?
2) Will you wear PPE rest of the year?
3) What exact PPE will you wear?

Stay safe!

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
What are proper gloves to wear? Something breathable that doesn't tear, stays dry, protects my hands and works with my phone.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Can't guarantee cross contamination throughout the day and will not blow smoke up my customers ass. We will do the job, or we won't. I'm not going to lie or operate under false pretenses with phony masks or booties.

Honestly, do you think that you can drag 100 feet of hose and your wand, plus rotary equipment and claim that you are free of viruses... nobody can do that. I won't be selling BS. Never have, never will.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Can't guarantee cross contamination throughout the day and will not blow smoke up my customers ass. We will do the job, or we won't. I'm not going to lie or operate under false pretenses with phony masks or booties.

Honestly, do you think that you can drag 100 feet of hose and your wand, plus rotary equipment and claim that you are free of viruses... nobody can do that. I won't be selling BS. Never have, never will.
It's going to be a shit show come open season that's for sure. I worked at a crazy lady's house once. She had ass wipes at every doorway in the home. Kids had to stop wipe their bare feet before entering each room. Way over the top germaphobe. She said we couldnt walk on her floor that we were installing. If her kids couldnt smh. Now I have a feeling we will see an influx of nut cases this extreme throughout this summer.
I'll probably laugh in a few faces along the way. But I'll keep a mask which I always have at least one handy on my van to deal with those. I usually only have it for real bad sht with a dab of vapor rub inside. But will probably have to bite my tongue and wear it just to appease the new breed of germaphobes and hypochondriacs out there.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
It's going to be a shit show come open season that's for sure. I worked at a crazy lady's house once. She had ass wipes at every doorway in the home. Kids had to stop wipe their bare feet before entering each room. Way over the top germaphobe. She said we couldnt walk on her floor that we were installing. If her kids couldnt smh. Now I have a feeling we will see an influx of nut cases this extreme throughout this summer.
I'll probably laugh in a few faces along the way. But I'll keep a mask which I always have at least one handy on my van to deal with those. I usually only have it for real bad sht with a dab of vapor rub inside. But will probably have to bite my tongue and wear it just to appease the new breed of germaphobes and hypochondriacs out there.
I'm not going to placate or do anything less than our usual SOP. Not because I'm a peckahead, but because I will tell the customer the straight dope... we can't guarantee jackshit and we could have picked up the virus 5 mins ago getting fuel or on the last job. Never once in 27 years of cleaning has someone asked me if I or anyone I have come in contact lately had the flu? I can only recommend that if they are high risk to not do the job, that's it.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Yea we had a bit case years ago when I was installing didn’t want me to walk in there pfft I ain’t installing in my sock feet. I wore my shoes did my job n left.

We now a lady that wiped her dogs paws every time they came in and out of the house!

Reactions: keep it clean

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I'm not going to placate or do anything less than our usual SOP. Not because I'm a peckahead, but because I will tell the customer the straight dope... we can't guarantee jackshit and we could have picked up the virus 5 mins ago getting fuel or on the last job. Never once in 27 years of cleaning has someone asked me if I or anyone I have come in contact lately had the flu? I can only recommend that if they are high risk to not do the job, that's it.
It’ll be another marketable fad. Now we have masks and respirators for demo and mitigation work. Also for drywall so we have those ant the prices for n95’s is making mad. One guy tried to sell the for $15.99/per mask! I just got some at 3.25/mask still makes me mad

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Lady I cleaned for this morning kept bending over exposing herself. Saw a tube of Estradiol on her bedroom drawer.

Crazy times indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: Ara Klujian

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
It’ll be another marketable fad. Now we have masks and respirators for demo and mitigation work. Also for drywall so we have those ant the prices for n95’s is making mad. One guy tried to sell the for $15.99/per mask! I just got some at 3.25/mask still makes me mad
Gouging like that deserves concrete shoes and a swim.

Reactions: MikeGaure

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My last job I had a bandana mask and it was completely ringing wet after 8 areas . Lucky for me it was all old sculptured nylon .

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I do weare PPE and have done before this epidemic, so I was pretty much prepared.

Respirator with 100 + filters, and N95 face masks
7ml nitrile gloves
carry hand sanitizer alcohol and non
shoe covers
face shield

but what I now do is wipe everything that I come in contact with clean white (washed with bleach) with disinfectant.

I do have disposable coveralls but I dont use it unless I am working in a crowded area.
I am also NOT changing any vacuum bags inside the clients house but will dispose bag in their outdoor trash collection bin.

I also wipe and spray soak all tools used with disinfectant.

I was worried for a while because I was down to my last bottle of Disinfectant/antimicrobial, virus but Thank God recently I was able to buy plenty at a nearby supplier ( they received a pallet) I was blessed to have been there when the order arrived.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Ive asked each client if they prefer that I wear a mask and/or gloves and nobody so far has said yes.

Reactions: PistolPete

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I cleaned a big finished basement today. I wore a mask and gloves. Shoe covers like always. The dude put in a mask as he greeted me and I entered so I’m glad I had mine. The virus is transmitted mainly through the air so I think wearing the mask with the customer on the walk through is important. I don’t think anyone is asking for a 100% guarantee we won’t bring in the virus.......but we do what we can. After all them calling and having us do the work they’re already aware there’s some risk and choosing to move forward. It’s not a zero sum thing......Also this virus dies in a couple days so the chance they catch it from something we touch is really really low.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
I only got into this business last year and from doing novel research I knew working with the chems cleaners use come with serious respiratory issues long term. I always wore an N95 until after extraction was complete. The odd time that I didn’t I had a tingling feeling in my throat. I knew it was the prespray every time.

The one good thing that covid brought is it has given everyone a reason to use PPE without feeling stigmatized. I hope you all use masks going forward.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
The best case scenario is cloth masks stop 3% of droplets .......yes 3% unless it is a n95 or better. This according to recent studies after folks starting wearing all these NON MEDICAL mask.

Kinda like thinking your underwear is gonna stop everyone from smelling your fart......

But if it makes you feel better and you like submitting to irrational fear and psychological control of your self ......................by all means......keep pushing societal mask wearing........

Already in the damn box car and now yall are promoting it......

Its safe in here...just wear your mask....the government says so..................

Simply Irrational Fear being manipulated in order to control...........

Submit........and you will be safe.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I only got into this business last year and from doing novel research I knew working with the chems cleaners use come with serious respiratory issues long term. I always wore an N95 until after extraction was complete. The odd time that I didn’t I had a tingling feeling in my throat. I knew it was the prespray every time.

The one good thing that covid brought is it has given everyone a reason to use PPE without feeling stigmatized. I hope you all use masks going forward.
Sounds like you might want to try a different prespray. Some will irritate your throat and lungs. Thats a sign to chuck it and try something else. Plus it doesnt look like you'll be able to get 95 masks anytime soon if at all unless you have a case of them already.

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada
Sounds like you might want to try a different prespray. Some will irritate your throat and lungs. Thats a sign to chuck it and try something else. Plus it doesnt look like you'll be able to get 95 masks anytime soon if at all unless you have a case of them already.
Can you recommend some?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Can you recommend some?
Which one are you useing now? I know chemspec fission. Heavyduty soil lifter and grandslam were pretty rough to breath in. Pog too. Pog can make you feel winded or out of breath. Especially through a portable thats blowing exhaust back into the room.

Calgary Hog

Aug 4, 2018
Real Name
Tinnam
Yes best you can use is 9:1 water:bleach
Ratio on all hard surfaces.
I am using mask respirator. And gloves. Have moonshine at 95+ alcohol content for sanitizer.
I do initial walk through with mask l. Do my primer and lay my hoses. Then I take out respirator and put surgical mask.
Empty properties different story

Reactions: sbsscn