Will doing this damage my pump?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I got a question.....My solution pump draws water from my TM belly tank without a transfer pump. No water box as my machine uses the 100gallon belly tank as one big water box on how it's configured. For winterization purposes which is another thread I'm wanting a way to pop off from the tank my supply hose to the pump using a male a female quick disconnects. Would these fittings starve the pump thus damaging it? They'd be 1/4 inch while the supply hose is like 3/4inch. Would the pump not be able to draw enough? Anyone ever do this?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I got a question.....My solution pump draws water from my TM belly tank without a transfer pump. No water box as my machine uses the 100gallon belly tank as one big water box on how it's configured. For winterization purposes which is another thread I'm wanting a way to pop off from the tank my supply hose to the pump using a male a female quick disconnects. Would these fittings starve the pump thus damaging it? They'd be 1/4 inch while the supply hose is like 3/4inch. Would the pump not be able to draw enough? Anyone ever do this?

Just get 3/4" quick connects instead of 1/4"

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
If you stick with 1/4" connectors get a demand pump. If not then go 3/4 as advised. Think hydraulic supply store, they don't make em just for us.
Wait a minute.. your solution pump has to draw the water uphill from your belly tank? If thats the case get a demand pump for sure, no matter what hose setup.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
just put a 3/4 inch tee in the hose with a ball valve you can open. When you open the ball valve the pump will pull in air instead of water from the tank. Something like this:

1477366684_zpstso9jj7t.png

Reactions: Barry C

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Yes, if you don't have a transfer pump any restrictions will put you at risk of cavitation
I've ran TM (pto's) were the pump is gravity fed by fresh water tank. Cleanco's don't have transfer pump or water box . Pump is level with bottom of fresh water tank and weight of water feeds pump of course with some draw from pump too.
Even if the PTO doesn't come with a fresh tank a small water box fed from garden hose is used without transfer pump.
I'm assuming @Ed Cruz pump is gravity fed from fresh tank. pump is sitting low to the van floor?

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I've ran TM (pto's) were the pump is gravity fed by fresh water tank. Cleanco's don't have transfer pump or water box . Pump is level with bottom of fresh water tank and weight of water feeds pump of course with some draw from pump too.
Even if the PTO doesn't come with a fresh tank a small water box fed from garden hose is used without transfer pump.
I'm assuming @Ed Cruz pump is gravity fed from fresh tank. pump is sitting low to the van floor?
May need a primer after the pump to move air out when disconnecting for winter and then re priming for jobs.

Wec

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
dustin denton
You can use 3/4 quick connects that pressure washers use between the pump and tank

That way when it is time to winterize you just unhook the quick connect and put the one going to the pump in to a gallon of antifreeze or whatever you use

and unhook the quick connect that is coming from the pump that sends the water back to the water tank so you don't get any of the antifreeze in your water supply tank

Most pumps on truck mounts can pull water as long as there is not any restrictions like 3/4 hose with no bends that cut the flow down and smash the hose

The connecters that pressure washers use are open inside
They are not like the ones we use more like how the ones are for air compressors

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TMF Forums mobile app

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
You can use 3/4 quick connects that pressure washers use between the pump and tank

That way when it is time to winterize you just unhook the quick connect and put the one going to the pump in to a gallon of antifreeze or whatever you use

and unhook the quick connect that is coming from the pump that sends the water back to the water tank so you don't get any of the antifreeze in your water supply tank

Most pumps on truck mounts can pull water as long as there is not any restrictions like 3/4 hose with no bends that cut the flow down and smash the hose

The connecters that pressure washers use are open inside
They are not like the ones we use more like how the ones are for air compressors

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TMF Forums mobile app
Yeah that's what I'm gonna do. This is there's a 1/4inch stainless elbow that chokes it down a bit coming off where the supply hose is connected on the fresh tank. I already have 1/4inch stuff laying around but not the larger ones....ill have to get them. I have an Arimitsu 2500psi 4.5-5gpm pump and the Arimitsu guy I spoke with told me it will pull with no problem up to 12feet before you'd get any premature wear.