Wicking?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Hey Scott, What do you think...Years ago I cleaned a carpet in a master bed room and placed an airmover in the hall at the entrance to the bed room ( the carpet was white )...before I left right in front of the air mover it was brown, I recleaned it it came out ( I think I sprayed brown out on it first )...but it got me thinking that using a airmover made that happen, and if I had not...It would have dried au naturale and been fine...In other words the forced air made that happen?
That is interesting. I have heard of that once or twice before but I never experienced it myself.

Basically, wicking happens during drying. If the drying happens faster, the wicking also happens faster. But wicking would also stop sooner since the carpet is dry sooner.

For soil to wick to the surface, it must be there in the first place and it must have been loosened from the fiber by the cleaning solution and whatever agitation was used. More thorough prevacuuming and slower or additional wet vacuum passes should get more of that soil out of the carpet rather than leaving it so that it can wick.

Whatever level of wicking happens would be more noticed on white.

The main reason for using an air mover is so that the carpet is as dry as possible before you leave. Then you know if wicking is going to be a problem. You can deal with it while you are there rather than having a surprise that brings you back later.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Here is a little trick. Sprinkle crystalizer powdered defoamer on a reoccurring stain. Mist it with a wand or sprayer. Work it in and extract. That stain will not come back.

Aug 28, 2018
Real Name
Bruce wayne
Thanks rob this video is great. I think I will adjust the way I deal with wicking.

I’ve always used a good rinse at low pressure then thrown a fan on and waited

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I’ve been noticing sometimes with really bad carpet I HWE then a quick encap. Works real well.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’ve been noticing sometimes with really bad carpet I HWE then a quick encap. Works real well.
Encap works a ton better if it is done after the Carpet is dry. Just saying.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
Okay, I did another berber today. Ofcourse covered in piss. So I HWE. Hit it hard as it was trashed. But I did notice it was very wet in the high traffic lanes when I left. The carpet dips down from wear and the wand can not make good contact with the low pile. This is definitely where I am getting my wick back from. I even set an appointment to come back and fix the wick back on Friday that have not shown yet but I know that they will.
Do you guys still encap a piss soaker?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Okay, I did another berber today. Ofcourse covered in piss. So I HWE. Hit it hard as it was trashed. But I did notice it was very wet in the high traffic lanes when I left. The carpet dips down from wear and the wand can not make good contact with the low pile. This is definitely where I am getting my wick back from. I even set an appointment to come back and fix the wick back on Friday that have not shown yet but I know that they will.
Do you guys still encap a piss soaker?
I recommend using a strong Peroxide I’m conjunction on berbers. Here’s how we do them with or without urine.

Mist RSF USOR and groom in
Spray down RSF Spiked
Rinse light dilution RSF Alk Neutralizer
Use air mover to speed dry

The advantage to USOR is it is buffered, has penetrant’s, has highest % food grade h2o2 and smells devine. Add to it that it naturally brightens and prevents wicking. RSF Spiked has built in oxidizer. RSF Rinse has encap ability.

Travis Teague

Oct 5, 2016
Real Name
Travis Teague
I recommend using a strong Peroxide I’m conjunction on berbers. Here’s how we do them with or without urine.

Mist RSF USOR and groom in
Spray down RSF Spiked
Rinse light dilution RSF Alk Neutralizer
Use air mover to speed dry

The advantage to USOR is it is buffered, has penetrant’s, has highest % food grade h2o2 and smells devine. Add to it that it naturally brightens and prevents wicking. RSF Spiked has built in oxidizer. RSF Rinse has encap ability.
Thank you Rob, I have been using the bio break so staying away from the proxy stuff so I don't kill the little guys but going to order more rsf and usor tonight. I already have the rsf alkaline rinse and like it but I think I was using it at to high of rate.
Thanks for your help.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Dry stroke
Dri pods
No wicking
And for Christ sake, don't blast your prespray HF deep down .
Prespray on top and CRB it in , then steam it off .
20180912_145703.jpg

Last edited:

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Thanks Joe...Makes perfect sense.
Those pods are winner, quiet, small, and clients like them...Sounds like chicken dinner to me...LOL

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Here is a little trick. Sprinkle crystalizer powdered defoamer on a reoccurring stain. Mist it with a wand or sprayer. Work it in and extract. That stain will not come back.
Cuff it? No more solution.
Good thread. it would be a good one to keep on top somehow lots of good information and different scenarios.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States