Why WD? Why not a PB blaster or Liquid Wrench for your Blower?

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I know WD displaces water which keeps rust from forming in turn helping avoiding blower seizure but wouldnt these other products actually lube better? Anyone not using WD40? What are you using to lube your blower when drying out after your days over? Ive seen on videos online and the TM godfather Les Judson recommend using an actual lube unless Im mistaken. Any thoughts? Ive been using WD but was wondering whats actually better for your blower.

P10der

Jan 16, 2015
Real Name
Guy
WD40 stand for water displacement 40 it took them 40 tries to get it right. it was first used to protect the outer skin of missiles in the late 50s Pb blaster is primarily a penetrant and lubricant. Both are petroleum based. They both do almost the same thing in your blower wd will displace water a bit better while pb will lube a bit better. The differences are negligible. Also wd 40 is more resistant to freezing. I personally hate pb blaster because its smell but I use it on cars when I have to. Wd doesn't smell that bad to me.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Used liquid wrench once and my blower screamed of metal to metal very loudly .
I quickly swiched back and will never ever use anything but WD-40 . My blower is a 1992 unit and has never leaked or gave out . #4 Garden Denver

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Sutorbult told me to use crc or wd40.

@wuznmee Confirmed but highly recommended wd40. I use wd40, one less thing to worry about.
I was gonna call them and see......So what Im taking from these comments is either or is fine. Jay at EZ told me to use PB or something like it. Blowers already have oil/grease keeping them spinning nice so maybe just keeping rust at bay with WD is the ticket.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I was gonna call them and see......So what Im taking from these comments is either or is fine. Jay at EZ told me to use PB or something like it. Blowers already have oil/grease keeping them spinning nice so maybe just keeping rust at bay with WD is the ticket.
Nick told me wd40. Either or.

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
The problem with any of them is they penetrate the seals and dilute the grease or oil in your blower. However putting it in the way you do it is just going to coat the lobes of the blower. I think the goal is to cut down on surface rust in the blower. It isn't lubing anything.---But I am not a blower mechanic and I don't play one on TMF.

I think there are thousands of blowers out there that have never been touched by WD40 or any other lube that are working just fine.

Reactions: Bob Dobbs

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've been using WD-40 for around 18 years. Seems to do what it's supposed to. When I bought my Boxxer https://shop.truckmountforums.com was recommending another spray lubricant at the time, but I could not buy it locally so went right back to WD-40. I buy it by the gallon and buy the trigger sprayer they make for it and I'm all set for a very long time. I've had zero issues with my blower using it.

Reactions: Omar

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
The big misconception is that you are not actually lubing the blower at all. The lobes are designed to run dry. They move air. The tolerances are tight but the lobes aren't actually rubbing on each other. So, the term lubrication is loosely used. Removing moisture is the main goal. It also help to remove the debris from the lobes. Blowers are like the perfect girlfriend... Give it a little attention and it will suck good for years to come...

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I know guys who only lube blower if they are not going to use their TM for a couple of days after use.
Know another guy who never lubes . He runs blower for 10 mins after use and says the heat from impellars dissipates any moisture that will bring on rust. He has had TM's for 25 years.
Me, I use WD40 at the end of day 4-5 seconds into port. Lube right after last job and run for another few minutes on idle .

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
Pb blaster and the likes have more oily coatings which result in gunking up your blower where as wd40 just wears off and evaporates....It is well known wd40 or crc are the best to use... Honestly I run my blower dry 90% of the time and dont wd40 but about once a week or so... or if the machine was going to be stored.... My cool down process for my machine takes at least 5 minutes if not more resulting in a dry blower so not much need for lube.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
they have a penetrating oil now, its called deep creep
I thought the point is you dont want "deep creep" thats why pb blaster and other penetrating lubes are not recommended, because it prematurely damages the seals.... I dont understand why guys wanna go to some other product at all... wd40 is cheap and has been the goto blower lube since for friggin ever so why fix it if it aint broke?

Reactions: Allied