Why don't a lot of guys clean the vertical side of stairs?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Why would you not clean the risers??!!!!!

I start at $110.synthetic /$170 wool for 14 steps and 1 landing at that rate I better be cleaning steps and risers

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Why would you not clean the risers??!!!!!

I start at $110.synthetic /$170 wool for 14 steps and 1 landing at that rate I better be cleaning steps and risers
Wow! How long do you spend on a set of stairs? Your price is almost 3x what I charge.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
$7.50 per step here. Of course the get the whole step cleaned lol!

Classicboss

Jul 30, 2008
Ithaca, New York
www.classiccarpetcareservice.com
Real Name
Dan Langendoerfer
Business Location
United States
Both my trucks has swivel stair tools one single jet my son likes and I carry a dual jet that i like, cleaning the risers is a breeze with the swivel stair wands, If you cant clean the whole stair whats the sense of cleaning them at all! I fired an employee once when I made a surprise visit to a home he was in cleaning the carpets and caught him spray and suck a closet... drives me absolutely crazy that some techs are plain lazy to clean everything the right way weather it looks soiled or not, Take pride in your work, have integrity! "Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." C.S. Lewis.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I have a swivel stair tool it helps.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Wow! How long do you spend on a set of stairs? Your price is almost 3x what I charge.

time will depend.
But usually 1 hour plus
vacuuming usually takes about 15 minutes 30 or more for worst case scenario/super soiled)
All depends on soil.
includes
vacuuming pile, edges and baseboards (if applicable)
Application of pre spray
agitation of all to be cleaned surface areas
and thorough rinsing and extraction
I mean thorough.

1 step usually gets 6 passes, 4 dry strokes
air circulation (running fan)

There are plenty of homes in the bay area that carpet is on the stairs only and for synthetic the cost will be our minimum service fee$150.00 when combined with other services the starting rate is $110.00 for synthetic. Wool fiber starts at $170.00 (minimum service fee does not apply to wool fiber)

I have a client that owns a house that she rents out to UC berkeley students that house has 2 levels of wide stairs and that itself cost her $450.00 to clean, plus 3 more narrow stairs
I give her a deal on those at 80 each =$240

these stairs are dirty and no joke, its hard intense labor and she knows it.
she has a 15x10 living room and that gets done at a cost of $170.00

and yes this is the rate I charge.

Last edited:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
$7.50 per step here. Of course the get the whole step cleaned lol!
good price.

I tried doing the per step cost and i just cant do that.
usually a flight of stairs is 14 steps and includes at least 1 landing but we sometimes will include a second one

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
time will depend.
But usually 1 hour plus
vacuuming usually takes about 15 minutes 30 or more for worst case scenario/super soiled)
All depends on soil.
includes
vacuuming pile, edges and baseboards (if applicable)
Application of pre spray
agitation of all to be cleaned surface areas
and thorough rinsing and extraction
I mean thorough.

1 step usually gets 6 passes, 4 dry strokes
air circulation (running fan)

There are plenty of homes in the bay area that carpet is on the stairs only and for synthetic the cost will be our minimum service fee$150.00 when combined with other services the starting rate is $110.00 for synthetic. Wool fiber starts at $170.00 (minimum service fee does not apply to wool fiber)

I have a client that owns a house that she rents out to UC berkeley students that house has 2 levels of wide stairs and that itself cost her $450.00 to clean, plus 3 more narrow stairs
I give her a deal on those at 80 each =$240

these stairs are dirty and no joke, its hard intense labor and she knows it.
she has a 15x10 living room and that gets done at a cost of $170.00

and yes this is the rate I charge.
Ah, being in the Bay Area everything costs 3x what it does over here.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I use the swivel stair tool, cleaning the tread, riser, vertical, and special attention to the bullnose. The bullnose gets very soiled. We charge $3 per step, if it is a straight run. Steps with pivotal landings are a little more.

I then remove the vac cuff from the stair tool and especially vac each bullnose.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I know a guy that when cleaning couches he does the underside of the couch as well. Kind of reminds me of cleaning the risers on stairs. If it’s not dirty, or if it ain’t broke comes to mind.

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
I usually wand the tops and use my prochem upholstery tool for the bull nose and face sides and top corners .
It digs into the corners for a terrific job .

Prestigecarpetclean

May 10, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
I use uphosery tool also i have stair tool i never use. Comes out great i do every single part of the stairs the risers usually get a light pre spray spray with wand and dry strokes every thing else pre spray agitation with brush thorough flush and dry strokes customers love it but takes so much time and dont get what i deserve for it (50-65$) can take anywhere from 35 minutes or in extreme cases (prevac) up to an hour just for stairs

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
I know a guy that when cleaning couches he does the underside of the couch as well. Kind of reminds me of cleaning the risers on stairs. If it’s not dirty, or if it ain’t broke comes to mind.
I take the extra ten minutes to clean risers, undersides of furniture, tiny closets and/or behind doors.

Then I go home, have a couple beers and fret about my thoroughness. It's a mental disorder.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
I take the extra ten minutes to clean risers, undersides of furniture, tiny closets and/or behind doors.

Then I go home, have a couple beers and fret about my thoroughness. It's a mental disorder.
You clean under the furniture or the underside of the furniture? For way ever it's worth, I only clean the risers if dirty, I clean behind doors, and without a doubt I have beers at the end of every day. :)

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
You clean under the furniture or the underside of the furniture? For way ever it's worth, I only clean the risers if dirty, I clean behind doors, and without a doubt I have beers at the end of every day. :)
I dry vac the undersides of furniture and brush/rake carpeted areas that I'm not getting wet. Behind doors too. Mostly for cobwebs and dust. I don't want the one super-anal lady/guy to do a white glove check and have it come up lazy.