Why don't a lot of guys clean the vertical side of stairs?

nbaabc1234

Jan 25, 2019
Real Name
NICK
I see many carpet cleaner show their youtube videos,but they only clean the stairs tread.Is it a custom?every time I always clean the vertical side of stairs left the triangle pattern on it.But the cleaning action hurts my waist ,need I charge more that? Guys what's your opinion?

Reactions: Ymetimme

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’ve always cleaned the complete stair, tread and vertical. I do use the hand held stair tool that looks like an oversized upholstery wand so I can turn the wand sideways and clean the vertical portion in 2 long swipes (one swipe from each side) so I don’t leave triangles on the vertical portion.

This is the wand I use. https://shop.truckmountforums.com/products/tmf-stubby-stair-tool

Reactions: Scott W

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I clean all of it, the step, verticle, the bullnose. I clean the verticle with the hose, I first spray it with the wand then take the hose and just suck the water. I charge the same price as a section (150sqft a room).

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I know I'll get flak for this but I use the sapphire upholstery tool to clean stairs , I enjoy the flexibility it gives and have honestly seen better results from my own biased perspective vs a stubby tool

Reactions: ACP

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Plenty of guys use their upholstery tool to clean stairs, don't let anyone fool you, lol. It's helpful to keep the pressure down so you don't wreck the valve, but it happens way more often than not, and it gets the job done.

Some guys don't clean the riser because no one steps on it and it doesn't get "dirty" like the tread of the stair. Others feel that the job isn't complete unless they clean tread, riser, and bullnose. Different strokes for different customers.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I do to allow techs to clean stairs with our expensive plastic furniture tools. We use the 4.5 " detailer tool or the 6" hand stair tool. If you use a plastic tool the tack strip will tear up the head and then it must not be used on furniture. We clean a lot of very high end furniture and can't take that chance.

Last edited:

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Kind of crazy it’s like cleaning a chair and not doing the back

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
We have two prices. One for the step and one for the step and riser.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
That's a good point about it tearing up the tool. Granted St Louis people don't seem interested in a lot of furniture cleaning or maybe I just haven't entered that part of the market for high end furniture yet

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Should have said " I do not allow"

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
If you use your sapphire tool for carpet just be sure to clean it out every couple weeks.

D75C9C93-922E-4076-B1EF-A88CB335A9AF.jpeg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Yeah I clean it out daily, builds up quick

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If you use your sapphire tool for carpet just be sure to clean it out every couple weeks.

View attachment 84155
Good one @Todd the Cleaner. :) I've been using the same stair tool for years now and I always clean the riser. I still charge 1 dollar per linear foot for stairs unless they're super bad. No way I'm using my upholstery tool on it, but that's just my preference. So whatever tool you use as long as it gets the job done right and makes thrilled customers is what really matters.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Mostly those who VLM because they use a Makita or Stepson which are to large to hit the verticals. Smaller "Polishers" are available which I have in addition to a swivel PMF stair tool .
Also use the Drimaster 3 or our CFR upholstery tool but as mentioned they clog up quickly especially with pets present.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
dont understand how they can just clean the stair tread. Cant get the bullnose completely if you dont clean the riser.

Anyway, the swivel stair tool is the bomb. Just make sure to overlap the bullnose when doing the riser and tread, then vac the bullnose with the vac hose for an awesome job.

Oh, and agitation is critical prior to rinsing.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I know I'll get flak for this but I use the sapphire upholstery tool to clean stairs , I enjoy the flexibility it gives and have honestly seen better results from my own biased perspective vs a stubby tool
we use sapphire on stairs in older tight seattle homes all the time, especially stair cases that turn and have tight corners.

straight staircases wide open we use 10inch tool cause life is short lol

Reactions: Lars