Why does the public feel they can negotiate our prices?

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Newbs drop this industry prices, any newb starts with low price and when customers sees them they think that any carpet cleaning company should be able to match the lowest priced companies. When prices varies from company to company the customers think that if the last guy charged me 99 for the whole hose why wouldn't any other companies do the same thing.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Yesterday afternoon I played in an event with a local HVAC owner. He has 40+ trucks and does almost 30 million year. He never gets clients who try to negotiate his prices down. But in carpet cleaning hardly a day goes by that someone on phone or at a job wants to negotiate. This shows it’s an industry problem. Why do you think that is?
I got cold lips from some members here, when I was talking about service calls for HVAC being $75-100. My customers are rolling their eyes when I present $22. I was explained that emergency response calls for the those charges and I call B.S. I spent 2 days on flood job, 1st day until 1am. and I didn't charge landlord $200 extra for showing up. Mama, you're right again . I'm wondering if HVAC owner going trough the similar questions: How much do you charge for replacing 10" of wire eaten by mice. " What, $50 ?" Click, no signal. My personal experience, 10 minutes of " pro's" time cost me exactly $180. No invoice, no license, no problem. But I needed my AC operable in scorching heat .
We have to stop running doing $50-$75 favors. Period. I lost my long time customer with statement ( after numerous texts exchanges) " Mark, for 3 rooms and hall, I'm leaning towards $220 I've never heard from him again and so be it. Still, even with that number, I felt as a cheap hack, because I was able to envision condition of the carpeting . There is no maintenance, no vacuuming ( broom swept) Motto in this case: Don't matter how efficiently you can clean their carpet, what matters how soon can they trash it"
This is second time in 2 weeks I have to say thank you to @rob allen for bringing an important matter. I'm tired of hearing that business not always linear, but cumulative. As much as this is true, let's make it linear as possible. Overall, we work as hard if not harder than HVAC or plumber guys.
P.S. I've developed close relationships with few of these guys years ago and got significant price breaks in my commercial location .
I know, overhead contributes to jacked up prices, but....

Reactions: Rory henderson

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
What drives down our industry is our industry. There are so many sub par carpet cleaners few people want to pay top dollar hoping they tossed the dice and got a true pro to show up. 1 in 5 jobs I do is within days or weeks of another cleaner to fix the terrible job.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Newbs drop this industry prices, any newb starts with low price and when customers sees them they think that any carpet cleaning company should be able to match the lowest priced companies. When prices varies from company to company the customers think that if the last guy charged me 99 for the whole hose why wouldn't any other companies do the same thing.
I do respect your opinion, not in its entirety , though. Same applies to the parents who blame kids for all the stain on the carpet. Guess what, they're being hypocritical. Would you agree?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I got cold lips from some members here, when I was talking about service calls for HVAC being $75-100. My customers are rolling their eyes when I present $22. I was explained that emergency response calls for the those charges and I call B.S. I spent 2 days on flood job, 1st day until 1am. and I didn't charge landlord $200 extra for showing up. Mama, you're right again . I'm wondering if HVAC owner going trough the similar questions: How much do you charge for replacing 10" of wire eaten by mice. " What, $50 ?" Click, no signal. My personal experience, 10 minutes of " pro's" time cost me exactly $180. No invoice, no license, no problem. But I needed my AC operable in scorching heat .
We have to stop running doing $50-$75 favors. Period. I lost my long time customer with statement ( after numerous texts exchanges) " Mark, for 3 rooms and hall, I'm leaning towards $220 I've never heard from him again and so be it. Still, even with that number, I felt as a cheap hack, because I was able to envision condition of the carpeting . There is no maintenance, no vacuuming ( broom swept) Motto in this case: Don't matter how efficiently you can clean their carpet, what matters how soon can they trash it"
This is second time in 2 weeks I have to say thank you to @rob allen for bringing an important matter. I'm tired of hearing that business not always linear, but cumulative. As much as this is true, let's make it linear as possible. Overall, we work as hard if not harder than HVAC or plumber guys.
P.S. I've developed close relationships with few of these guys years ago and got significant price breaks in my commercial location .
I know, overhead contributes to jacked up prices, but....
id disagree about the hvac and plumbers man. ive been around the trades 20yrs and im not crawling under mobiles dealing with busted sewer lines. or scorching hot attics or rooftops mid summer.

i have good friends in both trades and carpet cleaning is cake compared too those services. thats why they are required too be locensed unlike carpet cleaners.

granted flooring can be very costly and it can be ruined but most realize for the avg homeowners flooring does its job and its resilient. while needing maintain it isn't in the same league as hvac or plumbing

Reactions: keep it clean

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
What drives down our industry is our industry. There are so many sub par carpet cleaners few people want to pay top dollar hoping they tossed the dice and got a true pro to show up. 1 in 5 jobs I do is within days or weeks of another cleaner to fix the terrible job.
How many cleaners are fixing yours or my mistakes. Do we know?
When you gonna be in the business awhile longer, how you going to figure out retention or atricion rate? Mrs. Jones, you're not happy with my services anymore? You don't know what might tickle your costumer. After 5-10 years coming back to you and you only, you'll feel how deep business relatiomship can become. I got some customers, because their cleaner passed on. It's sad circle of life. I would die happy, if i have same loyalty from my custy's .I do not write this to piss you off, the opposite is true . You're exited about everything happening in the industry and rightfully so, but perception sometimes varies from what it's real. I had so many portables from various manufacturers and maybe I made mistake that I openly didn't criticize or didn't bring up the issue in the open forum. In that aspect, you have a big advantage, because you did. But again, can you compare your first post and the latter?
It's all about perception and evolution , professional and personal.
I had my share of problems with my mumerous units , I took harsh methods to solve them, but it's water under the bridge and we communicate as nothing happened. Life goes on.
And yes, those cleaners you mentioned early are certainly part of the problem, but we have to dig deeper.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
id disagree about the hvac and plumbers man. ive been around the trades 20yrs and im not crawling under mobiles dealing with busted sewer lines. or scorching hot attics or rooftops mid summer.

i have good friends in both trades and carpet cleaning is cake compared too those services. thats why they are required too be locensed unlike carpet cleaners.

granted flooring can be very costly and it can be ruined but most realize for the avg homeowners flooring does its job and its resilient. while needing maintain it isn't in the same league as hvac or plumbing
Mike , you can disagree as much as you want, but I lived it through my pocket. It cost me 37 K . That was out of 57K. And yes, they still make their money and we had a few hangovers afterwards.
On side note , these guys had so much push on city officials, it was unbelievable. If you used to hang out with them you'll have an idea.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
How many cleaners are fixing yours or my mistakes. Do we know?
When you gonna be in the business awhile longer, how you going to figure out retention or atricion rate? Mrs. Jones, you're not happy with my services anymore? You don't know what might tickle your costumer. After 5-10 years coming back to you and you only, you'll feel how deep business relatiomship can become. I got some customers, because their cleaner passed on. It's sad circle of life. I would die happy, if i have same loyalty from my custy's .I do not write this to piss you off, the opposite is true . You're exited about everything happening in the industry and rightfully so, but perception sometimes varies from what it's real. I had so many portables from various manufacturers and maybe I made mistake that I openly didn't criticize or didn't bring up the issue in the open forum. In that aspect, you have a big advantage, because you did. But again, can you compare your first post and the latter?
It's all about perception and evolution , professional and personal.
I had my share of problems with my mumerous units , I took harsh methods to solve them, but it's water under the bridge and we communicate as nothing happened. Life goes on.
And yes, those cleaners you mentioned early are certainly part of the problem, but we have to dig deeper.
I’ll stick with my original posts. Terrible cleaners drive the market down. I couldn’t guess the ratio but many are really really bad at cleaning carpets without dignity pride or self respect. As a person that always is self driven, a perfectionist, and love business this industry I only wish I got in 20 yrs ago, I’d be retired.

Reactions: matt30577 and Luky

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Next time someone ask for a discount on a job just return the question with “sure can, what part of the cleaning process would you like me to leave out?” They’ll not question you any further. Here’s the key. They’ll only value you as much as you vale your education and investment. I don’t discount and I don’t leave out any of the process. It’s not to say I don’t do freebies but that’s aside from the discount question. I could have went with out the education. I could have bought cheaper equipment I could even get cheaper chemicals (not from rob though LOL) but it all goes to investing in your company and yourself. I put a high value on it and I get it 100% of the time or I just don’t do it. So as far as why the customer feels like they can negotiate your price, it’s simple you let them.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Hell yeah. Its why I did it. Carpet cleaning is easy. I saw stanley stinkers walking around smiling skinny little shts in clean cloths nice sneakers. And hear im dragging a rug that weighs as much as 3 overweight people on my shoulder up steps. Blood leaking from my ear and knuckles. Them, not so much as breaking a sweat. They roll out in their sped bus after about an hour. I still have ti kick in all tge carpet i just carried and put furniture back. Pushing a wand and vacuuming lol if thats hard for some. A gym membership and cardio may be necessary.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Hell yeah. Its why I did it. Carpet cleaning is easy. I saw stanley stinkers walking around smiling skinny little shts in clean cloths nice sneakers. And hear im dragging a rug that weighs as much as 3 overweight people on my shoulder up steps. Blood leaking from my ear and knuckles. Them, not so much as breaking a sweat. They roll out in their sped bus after about an hour. I still have ti kick in all tge carpet i just carried and put furniture back. Pushing a wand and vacuuming lol if thats hard for some. A gym membership and cardio may be necessary.
Dude TBH it’s so easy it’s boring too me. I was a designer and worked troubleshooting plans and putting together floor and roof systems.

The details and putting things together was challenging and fun. Don’t have too troubleshoot much in carpet cleaning lol

We work hard but the work isn’t hard. Keeping a business operational and profitable and balancing life is the real challenge imo

AussieCarpetBloke

Premium VIP
May 15, 2016
Real Name
Corey Bayliss
The nature and nationality of some customers will chase quality
Some will chase price
Some will push for both

Some cleaners will go after quality and take pride and time
Some want to splash and dash for beer money....

Confidence and the ability to sell yourself and the job or lack thereof often dictates if the customer accepts the job or negotiates

Dougie "fresh-clean"

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
Anyone with "I think I can get someone at a lower price." "Indeed, you most certainly can. But we are this price. What day did you want again? I have an 8:30am or a Noon time available 2 weeks from now."

Last edited:

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
haha carpet cleaners complaining about price shoppers
while carpet cleaners are the cheapest bunch of price shoppers themselves

Too funny

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Hey, I had to start somewhere! lol CFX & Rotovac, now 2 TM vans. What used to be my weekly sales quota upon opening is now my daily per-van quota.
im mostly knocking the jon don/rotovac/mytee ads "be your own boss! make 1000$ per day, $3000 business turn key package"

they get guys buying these packages everyday, and everyday theres a new 99$ guy with a chip on his shoulder... which is why some customers dont value the service

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Ironically...that's why I DONT argue with Jon Don or people I buy chems from.

And I cant tell you how many times they've given me free stuff or free minor repairs.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I work with a cleaner in my area lets call him CleanerX. we have similar equipment and similar cleaning processes so we can recommend each others services back and forth.

Anyway, CleanerX called me the other day and told me that a past customer of mine wanted them to clean their carpet. they thought my price was too high so they called the cheapos. They didnt like the workmanship of the cheapos so they called CleanerX. They wanted CleanerX to clean their carpet for the same amount that the cheapos charged. Somewhere along the line all reason was lost.