Why does the public feel they can negotiate our prices? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Why does the public feel they can negotiate our prices?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Yesterday afternoon I played in an event with a local HVAC owner. He has 40+ trucks and does almost 30 million year. He never gets clients who try to negotiate his prices down. But in carpet cleaning hardly a day goes by that someone on phone or at a job wants to negotiate. This shows it’s an industry problem. Why do you think that is?

Reactions: matt30577

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Yesterday afternoon I played in an event with a local HVAC owner. He has 40+ trucks and does almost 30 million year. He never gets clients who try to negotiate his prices down. But in carpet cleaning hardly a day goes by that someone on phone or at a job wants to negotiate. This shows it’s an industry problem. Why do you think that is?
The honest answer is also the hardest:

BECAUSE WE LET THEM.

The industry has fostered a culture of 'dickering', with cleaners willing to stab one another in the wallet by undercutting each other just to land a job. And the longer the trend goes on, the more we train customers to expect it of us.

This is a self-inflicted injury.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
That's simply not true. If he's done 30 mil someone has tried to negotiate on price with someone in his company.
It may be more honest to say that he gets people who try to negotiate, but he doesn't service them. Or he may simply not admit to servicing them. :bag:

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I think it's because the of carpet cleaners playing the bait and Switch game over the years and the news bringing light to it. B &S Carpet cleaner asks for $700 and clients says no then CC calls (fake) office and negotiates the bill down to $400. Customer isn't happy about but has the home ready so goes with it. Next company they hire is the same and the process is repeated.

Also the fact that carpet cleaners talk more than they work giving free this and free that. If the customer receives something free they place no value on it in most circumstances.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I agree with Mama self inflicted. When people call and ask me for a discount I ask why would you want a lower quality of service ?

I think too many owners are afraid to confidently confront new clients. When I speak to them on the phone it's obvious I'm not a call center rep and the quality of service is already better within the first minute of our call

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Ha. I had one call just yesterday. The lady had 4 bedrooms to be cleaned and I quoted her $160. She groaned and said Sears was advertising that they would do it for $99. I replied if they were willing to do that for her then go ahead and use them. She immediately said “I’ll pay the $160”.

Living over an hour away from Vegas I know there’s no way Sears would be driving 70 miles each way to do a $99 job and it looks like she knew it too.

Reactions: keep it clean

John Rockwood

Oct 18, 2012
Oregon
Real Name
John Rockwood
Could be that they can do it on their own. Advertised price they hear. How hard can it be? Have you noticed when they need glue, stains, tar, blood or grease removed they usually won't say anything about price.
Pet accidents and water extractions also.
When it goes beyond what they think they can handle price is not a stumbling block.
How many can go the grocery store or Walmart and pick up a service kit for their a/c unit.
I've been seeing more advertising specials on dental implants, lipo suction and lasik eye surgery.
Seems like almost everything is price driven now.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I preach to my guys over and over that in order to be valued by their customers, they must first value themselves.

Like any relationship, if you grovel and prostrate yourself begging for your significant other's attention (in this case, their money), and are willing to bow to their every whim regardless of the effect on your own well-being, you're going to get treated like dirt.

Just like you can't have a full-blown relationship with every hottie you fall for, you cannot have a business relationship with every potential customer that calls.

Some will be horrible first dates, where you don't even get past the phone call.

Some of them will look and act nice at first, and then turn into demented, unrealistic, high-maintenance banshees that you can't break up with fast enough.

Some will be 'one-night-stands', in which case you do what it takes to satisfy both partners and you don't expect the phone to ring afterward.

And a golden handful will be long-term, happy partners who will gladly maintain a healthy give-and-take with you for years to come.

Desperate couples are afraid to break off toxic relationships, and the same goes for business. If cleaners consistently hold themselves to a higher standard, the industry will correct itself over time. But it will take decades at this point, methinks, the damage is pretty significant.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
well they're also in a necessity service

people can live with dirty floors but no ac?

i dont think anything bad about them asking for a deal, dont we all do that? last sofa i purchased i got them too knock off $200 since i paid cash in full.

now some offers are just ridiculous and some customers i block their numbers

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
No this happans in all trades. Its the people and their expectations. Or they have had push overs work for them before that caved. Or they just flat out have it in their dna to haggle. Some people live on haggling prices like its a freakin hobby or something.
We just had a guy we installed his floors adout 15 years ago. Cheap carpet. Now he wants new and better grade. We gave him price. He flipped out fully believing we would match 15 year old pricing and give him better materials. Our response... we laughed at him.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
No this happans in all trades. Its the people and their expectations. Or they have had push overs work for them before that caved. Or they just flat out have it in their dna to haggle. Some people live on haggling prices like its a freakin hobby or something.
We just had a guy we installed his floors adout 15 years ago. Cheap carpet. Now he wants new and better grade. We gave him price. He flipped out fully believing we would match 15 year old pricing and give him better materials. Our response... we laughed at him.
I’m sure but not to same degree. I mean I have never haggled an HVAC or Plumber for example. I think most trades don’t get many who haggle, carpet cleaning, every day.

jack zerkie

Jun 27, 2008
cape coral florida
Business Location
United States
Companies here ads $6.95 a room yea I know but some people still believe in the tooth fairy. That's where they get the info. Nothing to do with quality or experience . I have been cleaning 38 years and have never stated prices. When a call comes in the conversation is about their needs and real experience .If price is all they want then I will stop at their job and price it for them and then its up to them. I do advertise that dirty white carpets are my specialty and that's not $6.95 a room. But My pricing is fair and competitive . Lots of happy ladies telling their friends and that's a good thing. jz

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Btw the origin job was unfurnished and carpet was already ripped out.
I’m sure but not to same degree. I mean I have never haggled an HVAC or Plumber for example. I think most trades don’t get many who haggle, carpet cleaning, every day.
Oh there are people out there who try. Hvac and electrical, mechanical trades its kind of hard to haggle them. They are licensed and you have to use one of them. Not as many to pick from. Mechanics get haggled. Lol i watch them. Especially when theres an indian in line. Cleaning of any kind yeah i see that alot. Problem may be in its own. There are thousands of cleaners. Posted pricing from bottom of barrel to the sky. Contractors if you get someone to respond you better not let them go lol. When they say booked that means months not days. so pissing off contractors can put your project off past the turn around day you hoped for. I just watched it happen. Girl wants to move her store by end of may. She keeps picking at numbers and guys keep walking away. Lol she wants to be in by 1st of June. No drawings yet, no prints, no permits. No contractors signed on yet. June is a pipe dream. More like sometime in august. If she nails someone down in may.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Btw the origin job was unfurnished and carpet was already ripped out.
Oh there are people out there who try. Hvac and electrical, mechanical trades its kind of hard to haggle them. They are licensed and you have to use one of them. Not as many to pick from. Mechanics get haggled. Lol i watch them. Especially when theres an indian in line. Cleaning of any kind yeah i see that alot. Problem may be in its own. There are thousands of cleaners. Posted pricing from bottom of barrel to the sky. Contractors if you get someone to respond you better not let them go lol. When they say booked that means months not days. so pissing off contractors can put your project off past the turn around day you hoped for. I just watched it happen. Girl wants to move her store by end of may. She keeps picking at numbers and guys keep walking away. Lol she wants to be in by 1st of June. No drawings yet, no prints, no permits. No contractors signed on yet. June is a pipe dream. More like sometime in august. If she nails someone down in may.
exactly. had a pharmacist who wanted is store remodeled before moving in. i drafted a prelim drawing for state board and he kept dragging his feet. wanted the remodel done in two months lol bunch of changes and stupid requests finally walked and told him just to get permits was two mos waiting! wouldve been min 3mos behind schedule lol

new store fell through and he's still working for someone else

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
exactly. had a pharmacist who wanted is store remodeled before moving in. i drafted a prelim drawing for state board and he kept dragging his feet. wanted the remodel done in two months lol bunch of changes and stupid requests finally walked and told him just to get permits was two mos waiting! wouldve been min 3mos behind schedule lol

new store fell through and he's still working for someone else
Happens alot. I see guys gets screwed half way through when it all falls out from under them. Always get them deposits and sign sign sign. In blood if you have to.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Happens alot. I see guys gets screwed half way through when it all falls out from under them. Always get them deposits and sign sign sign. In blood if you have to.
Definitely deposit required. The moron wanted me too carry materials and labor. That’s a big Nope lol. He was baffled I wouldn’t carry his remodel, what a goof

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Definitely deposit required. The moron wanted me too carry materials and labor. That’s a big Nope lol. He was baffled I wouldn’t carry his remodel, what a goof
Uh uh 50/50 or 1/3's in payments. Materials for flooring anyway is alwsys 50/50. 50% deposit most times covers at least the unretunable materials. This way if you get hung you only loose out on labor.
My friend who i just got done helping dropped the ball. Nothing in writing. Turned in a 23,000 bill. Guy said nope not paying it. Its only worth about 10k. I never seen a grown man cry before was disturbing to watch. i wasnt helping him any as i yelled at him lol. I told him this guy was shady from the beginning. Turns out his wife is a lawyer too. I was like dude you're fkd man. Your only chance would be you turned in a bill half way through so he cant claim ignorance. But you have to hire a lawyer. His is free and clear. I got payed for carpet lol. I held the 9x 15 off the floor until i got my check. Then i glued it down. Fk yeah i would have rolled it up and took it if not. Thats my leverage. But my contract was with building not that Tennant. Very harsh lesson to learn for someone. But i warned him over and over write up work orders everytime he so much as farts. Nobody listens to me till its too late.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Uh uh 50/50 or 1/3's in payments. Materials for flooring anyway is alwsys 50/50. 50% deposit most times covers at least the unretunable materials. This way if you get hung you only loose out on labor.
My friend who i just got done helping dropped the ball. Nothing in writing. Turned in a 23,000 bill. Guy said nope not paying it. Its only worth about 10k. I never seen a grown man cry before was disturbing to watch. i wasnt helping him any as i yelled at him lol. I told him this guy was shady from the beginning. Turns out his wife is a lawyer too. I was like dude you're fkd man. Your only chance would be you turned in a bill half way through so he cant claim ignorance. But you have to hire a lawyer. His is free and clear. I got payed for carpet lol. I held the 9x 15 off the floor until i got my check. Then i glued it down. Fk yeah i would have rolled it up and took it if not. Thats my leverage. But my contract was with building not that Tennant. Very harsh lesson to learn for someone. But i warned him over and over write up work orders everytime he so much as farts. Nobody listens to me till its too late.
thats jacked.

my dad told me about some houses he framed back in the day. some subs didnt get paid. he got a call hey watch such n such house across the river.

dad said he watched and poof went up in flames and it happened more n once too

serversl homes got burned down.

i was warned away from a floor repair in a nice gated community. i called a gc i knew didnt mention the owners just the floor and he knew who it was. he told me dont touch it that guy burned the cabinet guy and drywall guy. i didn't touch it lol

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
thats jacked.

my dad told me about some houses he framed back in the day. some subs didnt get paid. he got a call hey watch such n such house across the river.

dad said he watched and poof went up in flames and it happened more n once too

serversl homes got burned down.

i was warned away from a floor repair in a nice gated community. i called a gc i knew didnt mention the owners just the floor and he knew who it was. he told me dont touch it that guy burned the cabinet guy and drywall guy. i didn't touch it lol
That grape vine runs far. And everyone is on it listening.