Why do carpet cleaners need so much affirmation? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Why do carpet cleaners need so much affirmation?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Never hear A/C, electricians, plumbers for example ask "how did I do ma'am"? Did mama not hug them enough? Are they compensating? Just curious as I hear it all the time. To me, your work should do all the talking.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If you have to ask...

I usually get "OMG, that's amazing!" when the customer sees the results.

Reactions: rob allen

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I never thought of it although I certainly don't mind when the customer is ecstatic about the job. Compliment away. Oh yes, I like it and I bet just about any cleaner does! With a lot of other trades, you can't both see and smell the results, sometimes dramatically, probably has a lot to do with it. Also, when you bring back a house full of carpet, tile, or furniture from the brink of the landfill I'm sure that affects reactions too! We are then talking thousands of dollars to replace as opposed to cleaning it and making it look either near new again or at least a whole lot better than it did. I'm pretty sure the need for praise is innate.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Services and Pricing

Carpet Cleaning
~1 room(under 15x20) $69.95
~2 rooms(under 15x20) $69.95
~each additional room(under 15x20) $30
~hallways/bathrooms/walk in closets $15
~entry ways $15
~stairs $3.00 each, full set=$30
~landings $5

New Bonzer wand and CRB Cleaning
~1 room $109.95(under 15x20)
~2 rooms $109.95(under 15x20)
~each additional room $40

NEW!!! RejuvenatIng Cleaning
~1st room $99(under 15x20)
~each additional room $50

Duct cleaning
**50% Off Special**
~$270 for up to the 1st 10 hot air ducts(normally $540)
~$15 for each additional hot air vent after 10(normally $19 per additional vent)
*cold air returns are FREE
Duct Treatment $50
Carpet Repairs
~Restretches start at $99 per room(under 12x18)
~Patching starts at $99, depends on size of patch
~Seam repair quoted upon job

Furniture cleaning
~couch $75 steam/$150 dry cleaned
~love seat $60 steam/$120 dry cleaned
~chair(small) $30 steam/$60 dry cleaned
~chair(medium/recliner) $40 steam/$80 dry cleaned
~chair(oversized) $45 steam/$90 dry cleaned
~dining chair $5 per cushion(seat/back)
~ottoman $15 steam/$30 dry cleaned
~sectional couch $140 steam/$280 dry cleaned
~mattress $59.95 per side, any size

Tile/Grout Floor cleaning
~floors
1 room $75, with grout sealant $115
2 rooms $125, with grout sealant $205
3 rooms $175, with grout sealant $295
4 rooms $225, with grout sealant $385
5 rooms $275, with grout sealant $475
6 rooms $325, with grout sealant $565
each additional room cleaned, add $50, each additional room sealed, add $40
~showers/baths
minimum $99, and quoted by the technician
~vinyl floors
minimum $99, and quoted by the technician

Wood floor cleaning
~cleaning and re-coating wood floors $1.40/sq foot
*floor size not room size, no buffing or sanding
*not all floors need to be re-coated, will be discussed
Auto/Rv/boat carpet and upholstery cleaning
~cleaning the carpet and/or the upholstery in your car or your toys, call for pricing
*****FUEL CHARGE WILL APPLY*****

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I dont feel that asking the customer how everything looks is affirmation. We ask on every job before we pull the hoses out the front door and start putting everything away because no one wants to be halfway through packing up and the customer asks if we cleaned something that was never mentioned or if we have time to add a rug or chair.
We dont ask because we are not sure if they are happy or not. I feel it is a courtesy just like when you go out to eat and the waiter asks how your meal was.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I dont feel that asking the customer how everything looks is affirmation. We ask on every job before we pull the hoses out the front door and start putting everything away because no one wants to be halfway through packing up and the customer asks if we cleaned something that was never mentioned or if we have time to add a rug or chair.
We dont ask because we are not sure if they are happy or not. I feel it is a courtesy just like when you go out to eat and the waiter asks how your meal was.
Asking “how it looks” is a little different than “how did I do”? Just reeks of low self esteem or compensating for lack of ability. Besides what’s a client gonna say “you did terrible”?

Reactions: PistolPete
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Asking “how it looks” is a little different than “how did I do”? Just reeks of low self esteem or compensating for lack of ability. Besides what’s a client gonna say “you did terrible”?
I guess you could say the same about asking for reviews if we want to look at it like that.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I usually ask partially because if there is an area that they think isn't super great looking, I will go back over it a couple times in front of their own eyes so they can see that everything was attempted. I used to ask a lot more if they were happy when I was younger. Now I do so many jobs a day I usually just say "OK, all finished up!" and then they say "alrighty, looks great!"

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
Because carpet cleaning is mostly appearance based. And much cheaper to get into. Plumbers, electricians, and many other tradesman do work that takes thousands of hours to get very good at. Not that all of them are very good. And many carpet cleaners on here are true experts with an amazing amount of knowledge. Still, other tradesman often have to pass local and state tests. They often have engineering and permits required for every job. Dont misunderstand me, carpet cleaners deserve respect and good profits. But a soccer mom is qualified to say, "yes my carpet looks great!" Soccer moms, and most husbands, are not qualified to determine if wiring and plumbing manifolds and drain lines are well installed or laid out. I know, I spent a few years plumbing and heard plenty of handyman and husbands give their opinions. And confirmation of our skills isn't needed, but it doesent hurt.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Never hear A/C, electricians, plumbers for example ask "how did I do ma'am"? Did mama not hug them enough? Are they compensating? Just curious as I hear it all the time. To me, your work should do all the talking.
Are you talking from personal experience? Acknowledging professional level and grade? Absolutely yes. That usually translates in financial reward for being punctual, thorough and very flexible. Yes, paying for VIP status. Job requested today is done tomorrow, no exception. Need for affirmation is just psychological marasmus present in certain individuals, usually carried the whole life since childhood and it's anomaly, which has nothing to do with an intellect or eduction. It's just there. That's bluntly said. I believe that you chose wrong audience to dissect the topic and it might bring mixed reactions. Ball is in your field, mister.

Reactions: 1ST CHOICE CLEANING
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
There's a difference between seeking personal affirmation and building a business reputation.
It's the same concept. "Tell me how I did", "Tell everyone how I did".

I have never aked a customer how we did nor ever heard anyone ask but we do ask how it looks and lead into leaving a review.