Why aren't there more diesel carpet cleaning truckmounts?

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
This industry has enormous demands on its equipment everyday. A diesel motor produce more torque than a gas motor and has a much longer life span.

Seems weird that they don't build more diesel powered truckmounts.

I know the fuel tap in a van is convenient and the cost is higher but look I would think the reliability and resale value would easily offset that.

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
Because diesel motors are typically larger and more expensive than gas engines..........carpet cleaners bit about a $30,000 dollar rig. Ask them to buy one for $45,000 and see what happens.

This industry is just small enough to not do any major manufacturing for new products. It takes way to long to realize ROI for manufacturers. We get what is already out there repurposed to fit a need.

Reactions: leuj20

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
Because diesel motors are typically larger and more expensive than gas engines..........carpet cleaners bit about a $30,000 dollar rig. Ask them to buy one for $45,000 and see what happens.

This industry is just small enough to not do any major manufacturing for new products. It takes way to long to realize ROI for manufacturers. We get what is already out there repurposed to fit a need.
That's only broke d1cks who live on the forum ... The rest don't mind spending money on quality equipment

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I agree we need some good quality diesel truckmounts but as stated before their cost is more than most will pay. Hell the way diesels and blowers last a good diesel truckmount would outlast 2 gas burners easily....sad some people can't see the forest for the trees.

Paul Selby

Apr 26, 2013
South Central........Tennessee
Real Name
Paul Selby
Business Location
United States
That's only broke d1cks who live on the forum ... The rest don't mind spending money on quality equipment

I work for a distributor Kipp. I see a lot of people that think 16-17k is WAY too much. I only know of one of my customers on this forum and he's a good guy that understands that you get what you put in

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I think some reasons are:

1. Higher acquisition cost - most buyers of new high end machines aren't looking to keep them 20 years
2. Exhaust fumes more of a nuisance than gasoline engines
3. Difficult to start in cold
4. Requires separate fuel cell... no van tank tap
5. No real need... gasoline engines last 6k+ hours easy - at least in my experience.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I work for a distributor Kipp. I see a lot of people that think 16-17k is WAY too much. I only know of one of my customers on this forum and he's a good guy that understands that you get what you put in
Who might that be... Pray Tell? Honestly..ONLY One Guy here Gets THAT? My Take is MOST get THAT but Fail to execute.

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States

1. Higher acquisition cost - most buyers of new high end machines aren't looking to keep them 20 years
5. No real need... gasoline engines last 6k+ hours easy - at least in my experience.
We're Not the Rich bit Braggards tho Kevin..Ordinary Folk here!

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
New diesels damn near run cleaner than gas burners and 6000 hours would prob be just getting broke in for a quality diesel I've seen reefer units with kubota that had 30,000 plus hours on them never been rebuilt and still running strong.
Imagine a truckmount that you could hand down to your grandchildren lol.....steamaction makes a cat diesel TM things a beast bet that thing would run forever if properly maintained

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Kubota and Cummins both manufacture a cool little two cylinder diesel about the size of a breadbox. They're primarily used in the auxiliary power units (generators) on just about every cross-country semi on the road. They're not much on hp but more than make up for it with torque. They're crazy quiet, reliable as hell and... burn only 2 tenths of a gallon per hour, making them perfect candidates for running off their own compact fuel cell. I think they would make an awesome power-plant for a TM. I've got two here right now that I'm building 12kw off grid generators out of. At three bucks a gallon, I figure I can run one for 5 hours That's insane compared to a gas generator of the same 12kw output as they're typically about 1.2 to 1.5 gallons per hour and louder than crap.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My only complaint is smealing them pollutants all the time or customers .
Im a class A so no way .
The kick ass diesel pressure washers that run on a open trailer are top work horses . LANDRA

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States

Your points make more sense than anything I've heard before, I've always thought Diesel would be the cats meow as a PTO. It would solve a lot of the issues like dual fuel requirements and higher cost.I would think parts inventory would be reliable and stable. How much more is the Diesel Version in a truck or car ? A grand or two? I had never thought of a slide in diesel.