Featured - Why Are You Stepping Over Dollars To Pick Up Dimes? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Featured Why Are You Stepping Over Dollars To Pick Up Dimes?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States
Don't Miss The Opportunity!
Many professional cleaners don’t understand the profit potential of cleaning hardwood floors. We have seen the huge success of many carpet cleaners who have begun cleaning hardwood floors and that is why we developed this foolproof system of cleaning. The Hydro-Force Wood Preservation System is easy to learn and not only cleans hardwood floors, but also provides your customers with a way to preserve their costly hardwood floors by adding a new layer of finish.​
The Process - It Couldn’t Be Any Easier
Clean the floors with Heavy Duty Hardwood Cleaner and your choice of floor cleaner.​
Apply Satin or Gloss Preservation Finish with a flat mop and let the finish dry.
Call 877-242-8670 or visit hydroforce.com/wood to receive your FREE Info Pack.

Reactions: Scott W

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Sounds good in theory at least. Questions I have not brought up in video.
1. What if it's impossible to get all furniture out of the area being done?
2. Can part of the room be done such as in the case of moving a really heavy piece of furniture out to do under it and then moving it back in place to finish? I'm pretty sure this would be a very common problem.
3. Is this system only for hard wood floors or could it be applied to laminate?
4. How much could a person expect to get reasonably for 1 coat? 2 coats?
5. If the floor is extremely worn w/ many scratches could the system still be used to at least give it a better, but not perfect, appearance?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Can't believe nobody seems interested in this. My biggest concern would be that after finally finding that rare person who is willing to get this done you tell them that all furniture must be removed from the room probably at least 2 whole days and they say, "well I'll have to think about that, not so sure I want to have it done now."

Other thing is the extreme time required. Say you've just got a 200 sq. ft. room to do or maybe even smaller. I'm figuring at least a few hours no matter how small the room. I'd have to get at a minimum 1.50 to 2.00 a sq. ft. and that's if they only want one coat and they move all the furniture so I come into the home ready to start working on the floor. Two coats and I'd say we're looking at at least 3.00 per sq. ft. Am I far off? So I would figure 4 hours at 200 sq. ft. X 2.00 per sq. ft. = 400. I could barely live with that figure, considering the extra cost of the finish. I'm sure the stuff can't be too cheap. You guys that do this type of work chime in. I want some input or is there nobody doing this or something like it on here the last couple days. Am I being overly negative? I do tend to be pessimistic, I admit that readily.The only way I can see making enough money on this to make it worth the risk, the time and effort is to maybe do a whole house w/ a lot of wood floor WHILE EMPTY.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Randy, after watching the video I started to run the numbers and kept coming up with the same issues as you.

Unless someone can point out our error in logic, it seems this process is too expensive for the benefit or return to both the customer as well as the cleaner.

Another thing that bothered me is that this system is really only for well maintained wood floors. Any deep scratches or gouges will remain or you should recommend re-sanding of the floor.

I am thinking this cleaning process is for the wealthy end of the market. Even your mccmansion folks are gonna have a hard time finding a cost/benefit to this service.

Please show us where we are wrong. I would love to be able to sell this to my average homeowner living in a 170 thousand dollar home with a household income of 70K dollars. It would be a challenge at best to sell this service at 3-5 dollars a square foot to these customers. Carpets are disappearing rapidly.

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
I have been asked to do this multiple times(maybe 30) and like above, run into the same issue. Well of customers just want the floors clean a shiny.

One home just week was 4K in hardwood.

I could get the help easy, but where am I putting rooms full of furniture? And for at least 24 hours? Returning later to move it back?

Where am I going to move a babygrand? What about a 10 foot china cabinet? A 15 foot 1000 pound dining room table?

In theory this is a great service, but major logistics stand in the way.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have been asked to do this multiple times(maybe 30) and like above, run into the same issue. Well of customers just want the floors clean a shiny.

One home just week was 4K in hardwood.

I could get the help easy, but where am I putting rooms full of furniture? And for at least 24 hours? Returning later to move it back?

Where am I going to move a babygrand? What about a 10 foot china cabinet? A 15 foot 1000 pound dining room table?

In theory this is a great service, but major logistics stand in the way.
I guess there might be a market to pick up some extra cash in this, but I definitely won't be buying any extra cleaning equipment like it shows in the video. I think that floor cleaner is about 2 grand. They need to offer more suggestions on how to prepare the floor. I know the floor will have to be pristine before you apply that finish or you're going to have trouble. I've heard of some guys doing this or something similar and doing well. I need more info to figure it out. Seems like a tough market to get into.

matt7

Feb 16, 2011
Alberta
Real Name
Matthew Stephenson
Business Location
United States
I have several customers with hardwood, going through it in my head I can't think of any that have floors in good enough condition to do this process on. The new pre finished hardwoods just don't hold up like the older hardwood floors did. The quality of hardwood has gone down and pre finished hardwoods are usually a sprayed on stain/finish combo that is ultra thin and drys before the stain soaks in so every little scratch shows up.

This might work in an ultra high end neighborhood in a large city but certainly not where I live. I cringe even moving small equipment on new hardwood, no way I'm moving every piece of furniture off and back on!

Jpais

Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Real Name
Joseph Pais
Business Location
United States
With the dirt dragon system it doesn't take nearly as long to dry and you don't need to move all of the furniture. Furniture can stay in place. The dirt dragon cleans around it. Some hard to reach areas can be cleaned by hand.

katycarpetcleaning

Premium VIP
Aug 6, 2012
Real Name
Randy Wagnon
Works good, doesn't take alot of time and good money $1.5/2sf. I do not use on laminate, I use another product. If they want it done they move out furniture and move it back. Don't do a ton of these but it is pretty easy and makes good money.

Reactions: Spotless Flooring

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Sounds good in theory at least. Questions I have not brought up in video.
1. What if it's impossible to get all furniture out of the area being done? Yes, sometimes you can't get all the furniture out of the room. When I was doing this, I often took a helper and moved as much furniture as possible. If the furniture is likely to stay in the same position, I would simply work around it.
2. Can part of the room be done such as in the case of moving a really heavy piece of furniture out to do under it and then moving it back in place to finish? I'm pretty sure this would be a very common problem. Not the best option. There can be a line seen where you start and stop. If you are careful about feathering in, the two areas can be blended with no line.
3. Is this system only for hard wood floors or could it be applied to laminate? The system can be used on hardwood or engineered floors. The Wood Fresh cleaner can be used on laminates. The finish can be used on laminates. In my experience, most laminates have a durable wear layer of aluminum oxide or similar. The floor looks dull and cloudy because of hard water deposits, residues of cleaners that are not right for laminates. If you get the floor clean with the Wood Fresh cleaner, you very seldom need a layer of finish. When you do apply finish to laminates, make it a thing coat.
4. How much could a person expect to get reasonably for 1 coat? 2 coats? If you clean using the mechanical method with the maroon pad, you will normally apply two coats. This is because the cleaning is similar to scrub and recoat on a tile floor, you are removing some of the finish. If you clean using the extraction method with a machine, very little finish is removed. Only 1 coat is normally required.

Just like carpet cleaning, there are guys getting all kinds of prices. One franchise is advertising this service for $4 per sq. ft. and more. The middle range I have seen is from $1.25 to $2 per sq. ft. for cleaning, and 1 or 2 coats of finish. This can include a small amount of furniture moving. Additional furniture moving may be an extra charge.

BTW - This is a great time to remove the rugs that are on the wood floors and take them into your plant for cleaning.
5. If the floor is extremely worn w/ many scratches could the system still be used to at least give it a better, but not perfect, appearance? Yes, this will improve the appearance of even a scratched floor but it does not get rid of the scratches. Rather it just fills them in partially with the finish. Scratches are still there. Have realistic expectations.
For those who are interest, I have information on about 6 different machines that can be used; DVDs with videos of job being done, short DVD to show your prospects and customers the service you offer.

Let me know what you would like and an address to send it to. scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

Reactions: wandwizard

Cleaning Agent

Nov 8, 2011
Alabama
Real Name
Brandon Browand
Business Location
United States
Hey Tre, I see that you made this a featured post, just wondering if you have any response to the comments because I too am interested in this topic, we value your input and hope that you could share more on this. Thank you.

Don't Miss The Opportunity!
Many professional cleaners don’t understand the profit potential of cleaning hardwood floors. We have seen the huge success of many carpet cleaners who have begun cleaning hardwood floors and that is why we developed this foolproof system of cleaning. The Hydro-Force Wood Preservation System is easy to learn and not only cleans hardwood floors, but also provides your customers with a way to preserve their costly hardwood floors by adding a new layer of finish.​
The Process - It Couldn’t Be Any Easier
Clean the floors with Heavy Duty Hardwood Cleaner and your choice of floor cleaner.​
Apply Satin or Gloss Preservation Finish with a flat mop and let the finish dry.
Call 877-242-8670 or visit hydroforce.com/wood to receive your FREE Info Pack.