Who's using steamers on upholstery on the regular?

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Who's using steamers on upholstery on the regular? Anyone? I'm tired of using a 47 blower to extract what? An eighth of an inch thick fabric? Tired of dragging hoses in, sometimes hundreds of feet to clean a chair an ottoman. No I don't wanna drag the porty in either..........so I'm debating picking up a steamer if it's something I get away with cleaning maybe 70% of upholstery with a steamer and not use a TM.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
Who's using steamers on upholstery on the regular? Anyone? I'm tired of using a 47 blower to extract what? An eighth of an inch thick fabric? Tired of dragging hoses in, sometimes hundreds of feet to clean a chair an ottoman. No I don't wanna drag the porty in either..........so I'm debating picking up a steamer if it's something I get away with cleaning maybe 70% of upholstery with a steamer and not use a TM.
Jobs like that, I use my spot extractor..... Works fine, I have it on a utility cart.......

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro

Ed, I had an old Sgt. Steam, steam vapor machine way back in my Revolution War days. Today's vapor steam machines are a million times better. If I had to do it all over again, that's what I would invest my money in. THIS is the one that I would buy today.

https://www.daimer.com/steam-cleaners/kleenjet-1000cv-vapor.htm

And I've been saying that very same thing for decades.....We're talking about cleaning fabric that's as think as few pieces of printer paper. Using a truck mount is simply overkill.

And Johnny Bravo is right. Steve Andrews has a thousand years experience (sorry Steve, I couldn't resist) using vapor steam machines. I suggest talking with him about them. He has quite a few videos on this subject.

All that said......If you can't, or don't want to buy the one that I would, there are less expensive models. Also, I agree with goomer on the low moisture, cleaning by hand/hand held orbiter method. That's what I did for many years with great success.

Take A Chance - Columbus Did. (y)

Aug 23, 2014
Real Name
David Dubois
Had four sofa's to do at one home yesterday, two of them cotton. Had to take them outside in the sun because of browning. I was sweating my azz off. But it's amazing how fast the brown goes away in the sun.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
I have been using encap on a lot of upholstery recently (most). I have the steamer ready but don't always use it. The only thing with the encap is since the fabric is so thin the encap needs to be mixed lighter so the fabric doesn't dry hard. (If it does dry hard all you need to do is brush/vac it and it's very soft)

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
This is a great thread for a possible learning period for those that may think outside of the box. Cleaning is simply removing unwanted materials that may be on whatever we or the consumer wish to remove from an item. Good points are made often about the difference of carpet and upholstery. A piece of carpet, we can scrub it with a floor machine and extract with the giant super suckers called Truck Mounts (I have no problem with these, operated them for the first 25 years I cleaned - but they are simply not mandatory to clean everything and they can be expensive to own and operate and on and on.........). A lot of upholstery fabrics can be considered delicate and fine and problem, which many would consider to be something they do not want to mess with but all this is really saying is they can make us very good money working on and caring for them for our clientele.

Anyway, Vapor is a great way to 'clean' a lot of items we may not think about. I would widen out the horizon on what one would use a machine such as this, it is nothing short of amazing, IMO. (ok, Rich, it has been close to 1,000 years but who's counting?)

Yet, the focus in this thread seems to be upholstery, so we will focus on this.

Vapor Steam is a viable tool for cleaning all types of upholstery, from Leather to Fine Fabric (do not forget Drapes and Fabric Wallcoverings and fabric ceilings and so on).

Now, let's discuss the Principles of Cleaning and a part of the reason a Vapor Steamer can be such a dynamic tool to use. For those interested in this, let's focus on the fundamentals of cleaning anything properly. He is an important question to be able to understand cleaning:

What is the first fundamental of cleaning? (after we inspect and test and sell the customer and so on). What is our very first step of cleaning (anything) but here we will focus on upholstery.

I will await a correct answer and then go into the other steps with photos and videos for those that may care.

SAA

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
Porty

Mar 26, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Brian
Business Location
United States
This is a great thread for a possible learning period for those that may think outside of the box. Cleaning is simply removing unwanted materials that may be on whatever we or the consumer wish to remove from an item. Good points are made often about the difference of carpet and upholstery. A piece of carpet, we can scrub it with a floor machine and extract with the giant super suckers called Truck Mounts (I have no problem with these, operated them for the first 25 years I cleaned - but they are simply not mandatory to clean everything and they can be expensive to own and operate and on and on.........). A lot of upholstery fabrics can be considered delicate and fine and problem, which many would consider to be something they do not want to mess with but all this is really saying is they can make us very good money working on and caring for them for our clientele.

Anyway, Vapor is a great way to 'clean' a lot of items we may not think about. I would widen out the horizon on what one would use a machine such as this, it is nothing short of amazing, IMO. (ok, Rich, it has been close to 1,000 years but who's counting?)

Yet, the focus in this thread seems to be upholstery, so we will focus on this.

Vapor Steam is a viable tool for cleaning all types of upholstery, from Leather to Fine Fabric (do not forget Drapes and Fabric Wallcoverings and fabric ceilings and so on).

Now, let's discuss the Principles of Cleaning and a part of the reason a Vapor Steamer can be such a dynamic tool to use. For those interested in this, let's focus on the fundamentals of cleaning anything properly. He is an important question to be able to understand cleaning:

What is the first fundamental of cleaning? (after we inspect and test and sell the customer and so on). What is our very first step of cleaning (anything) but here we will focus on upholstery.

I will await a correct answer and then go into the other steps with photos and videos for those that may care.

SAA
Dry soil removal I would think after you have tested and inspected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TMF Forums mobile app

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Ok, we are on the correct path, good answer Brian. While it may seem basic and it is, very few truly pay attention to one of the most important parts of cleaning, Dry Soil Removal. It is often argued that our truck mounts or portables will remove the dry soil, but it absolutely does not. Why or how it is still a question raised it amazing but I will not get into that now.

Here is a video that helps to understand why we need to perform this service (truth be told, this is usually the largest amount of soil removed in any part of our cleaning process). If we can just realize the importance of this, it starts to make sense why upholstery cleaning is not difficult and this does most of the heavy work of cleaning and it is the least amount of money spent.

Not performing this process would be like having someone call you for deodorization work where a pet has defecated on the upholstery and one just starts spraying the big pile of poop with deodorant. It just does not work that way, one has to first REMOVE the source before they can deodorize. It is the same with the massive amount of dry soil, it must be removed first in a dry state before any form of wet cleaning is performed. This allows us to use less effort, less chemicals and to the amazement of most who will actually learn how to do this and then do it, they find the upholstery piece already looks 'Clean'! Many times, this is all you have to do to make a customer happy. It also helps to lessen and even eliminate wicking problems. I performed this service alone on upholstery for years in different homes and after the initial cleaning and set up, many times little to no water was used to maintain the furniture. I even taught some consumers how to properly dust to help maintain their upholstery and all it did was make my work look better for longer periods of time.

Before we go further, any comments or questions?

Next will be the principles of vapor steam and when it can be used by itself and when it is only part of the cleaning process.

SAA

Mike Krall

Premium VIP
Apr 24, 2013
New York
Real Name
Mike Krall
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I should go to bed instead of trying to be helpful :D

Do you know anything about these RIch? I was looking at this one: https://www.daimer.com/steam-cleaners/kleenjet-3000cvp-vapor.htm

It also has attachments for gum.

Honestly, Mike I know pretty much nothing about that one, or any other vapor steam machine from Diamer. I only know what I have read from their website and what my common sense tells me they are. That one is a step up from the one that I would buy. My gut tells me that it's a superbly made machine and I would definitely buy it.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
So, if we do all of our work properly, in any cleaning situation, the cleaning part becomes much easier. It is just like painting a house, all the prep work of scraping and cleaning old paint off and taping the windows and on and on, this is the foundation that sets up how well the paint will look and hold. All of our cleaning steps set up success or poor results.

Now, after we do all of our dry soil removal, most of the heavy work is done, we have physically removed most of the 'dirt' dry. Now we have so much less to try to remove.

Using a vapor steamer with a towel over it will draw soil to it. It is the principle of Thermodynamics in action. Many pieces of furniture will be done, others may need extraction.

Some times it is part of a whole cleaning system as seen in this video, it is used to remove way more staining and soil than just steam cleaning alone would ever do

Sometimes you just use the vapor steamer with a towel over the edge and it cleans and freshens up the piece worked on.

It has many uses, find some of them and you can be cleaning things you never thought of.

SAA

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Ok so I guess the answer to my question is almost no one here is using them regularly for upholstery. It looks like if I don't wanna use the TM but still utilize the steamer I'd still need the porty. Or I guess get into encap which I don't want. I'm not going to invest in one of the better steamers but may get the cheaper Mytee one for how much I'll prolly end up using it.