Who uses a trailer in the winter?

Cody G

May 8, 2018
Real Name
Cody Gibson
I want to use a trailer but I am concerned about freezing temps while I am driving around in the winter. I can put a heater in it when its in the shop but I am not comfortable with a propane heater when I am driving. Also when your on the job you need to keep the traier doors open some. What do those of you that use a trailer do in the winter?

AZHome&Carpet

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
We live at 6500ft in elevation and winter is long and cold. Antifreeze is my friend in winter, and bottles and such are never filled to the max. Always have a few cleaning bottles freeze, but never any equipment. We do more home cleaning then carpet cleaning but winters always a surprise to see what happened every night. Insulate your trailer well and park it in the sun.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Good imfo. Rv heater and antifreeze. Like the remote thermometer idea. Any more experience? Thanks.
Make sure its RV antifreeze. The stuff in your radiator isn't good in your lines. Insulate it thoroughly and then, as swani21 said, run your TM until its warm in the morning. With the temps you get, that should warm up the trailer plenty and if it's insulated properly, it will stay warm enough till you get to the next job. Make sure you flush the antifreeze out before you start cleaning carpets too.

Reactions: Cody G

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
The reason I chose the suburban is that I'm assuming you don't want to buy a van cause you still want to use your vehicle for a personal vehicle also? I had to use my portable once this winter and just loaded everything up in my Suburban and it worked great!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
You could possibly use an inverter and run electric heat in there. Or buy a suburban and load everything up in there.
I second this! I've been doing all my work out of a Suburban. Porty is easy to load in and out too. Warm your truck up in the morning, stick your portable in there, bring the portable inside for the night. Don't even have to mess with running antifreeze or special heater setups. What portable are you using? You might even be able to put in in the back of a car, I've done some jobs with one loaded in the back of a Celica!

Reactions: Swani21

Cody G

May 8, 2018
Real Name
Cody Gibson
I plan on getting a Jaguar. I have a trailer now and want to use it till I get established, I am new to this industry. Ive been a chimney sweep for 38 years and need to start transitioning to a profession that does not require climbing onto steep roofs. If all goes well I will get a full size van. I have read thousands of post from different forums to get a good perspective of the business and they have been very helpful. I am working on getting some comercial t&g accounts before I buy. I have also been letting my chimney customers know the new services I have added.

Will C

Jul 23, 2016
Real Name
Will Pope
I plan on getting a Jaguar. I have a trailer now and want to use it till I get established, I am new to this industry. Ive been a chimney sweep for 38 years and need to start transitioning to a profession that does not require climbing onto steep roofs. If all goes well I will get a full size van. I have read thousands of post from different forums to get a good perspective of the business and they have been very helpful. I am working on getting some comercial t&g accounts before I buy. I have also been letting my chimney customers know the new services I have added.
Consider the Amtex Prowler as well. I looked at the Jaguar before discovering the Prowler and I'd much rather avoid the headaches and slow down associated with more electrical cords, especially being so similarly priced. And you won't have to provide an alternative heat source with the Prowler either.