Who is doing Dryer Vent Cleaning? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Who is doing Dryer Vent Cleaning?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I'm going to add it on, and would like to hear what you guys are using, and how you are going about it, also what to watch out for, and any other tips you care to share.
If you don't want to post it here, please feel free to pm me, or we can talk on the phone.
Whatever makes you comfortable.
It seems like a natural add on, and an easy sale.

Reactions: Dewitt

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
I am not a carpet cleaner so I do it with different equipment than you would. I use a Nace brand heap vac which is half the decibels of a standard shop vac. I made a pvc connection so the vac plugs in to the 4" duct and it has a "y" in it to push a brush or reverse skipper through.
I would suggest you have a separate agreement which would indemnify you should the duct work come apart inside a floor or ceiling. I have seen more than one which was taped together with regular grey tape which is all dried out and flaking off. Even when you use a camera as I do you can't of course see how the duct is taped together from looking at the inside.

You will need to have some inventory. At least five or six clamps with a range of 4.5 to 4 inches. Now and then there are no clamps at all to begin with so that's two and if you need a connector another two and one might be stripped, so just have a dozen at all times. Keep a few connectors on hand. Some are 4" with a crimped end and some are crimped on both ends. They are cheap. Just pick up a few so you have whatever works best. You will need the silver foil tape. I recently had to go back to a job with a bracket I made to hold a very long vertical flex run against a closet wall so it wouldn't get torn down. I used a half inch wide 1/6 " aluminum bar from Lowes. I bent it around a scrap and cut it and drilled holes in the ends before I went back to replace the silver tape I used at the time. I will now keep a per made bracket on hand. You just never know what you will see. You will need to keep new transition hose on hand. Do not waste your cash buying it from the home stores. It is about the same price from The Dryer Box company and it is their own and very different hose. It is very soft and flexible. It is crush and kink resistant and just a pleasure to work with. I also can add ten bucks on to my cost because it isn't available in a store. Not that a customer couldn't buy it on line but they don't really know anything about it. That's why they hire us.

Reactions: Dedicated and J

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I am not a carpet cleaner so I do it with different equipment than you would. I use a Nace brand heap vac which is half the decibels of a standard shop vac. I made a pvc connection so the vac plugs in to the 4" duct and it has a "y" in it to push a brush or reverse skipper through.
I would suggest you have a separate agreement which would indemnify you should the duct work come apart inside a floor or ceiling. I have seen more than one which was taped together with regular grey tape which is all dried out and flaking off. Even when you use a camera as I do you can't of course see how the duct is taped together from looking at the inside.

You will need to have some inventory. At least five or six clamps with a range of 4.5 to 4 inches. Now and then there are no clamps at all to begin with so that's two and if you need a connector another two and one might be stripped, so just have a dozen at all times. Keep a few connectors on hand. Some are 4" with a crimped end and some are crimped on both ends. They are cheap. Just pick up a few so you have whatever works best. You will need the silver foil tape. I recently had to go back to a job with a bracket I made to hold a very long vertical flex run against a closet wall so it wouldn't get torn down. I used a half inch wide 1/6 " aluminum bar from Lowes. I bent it around a scrap and cut it and drilled holes in the ends before I went back to replace the silver tape I used at the time. I will now keep a per made bracket on hand. You just never know what you will see. You will need to keep new transition hose on hand. Do not waste your cash buying it from the home stores. It is about the same price from The Dryer Box company and it is their own and very different hose. It is very soft and flexible. It is crush and kink resistant and just a pleasure to work with. I also can add ten bucks on to my cost because it isn't available in a store. Not that a customer couldn't buy it on line but they don't really know anything about it. That's why they hire us.
Excellent information, thanks!
What kind of brushes, tools and equipment do you suggest, and where to get it?

I'm really kind of shocked there are not more guys doing this.

It seems like an easy add on for $70-120.
I plan to start off doing only the easy ones, single floor through the wall types.
We don't have basements in my market, but we do have a lot of multilevel and high rise units.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Excellent information, thanks!
What kind of brushes, tools and equipment do you suggest, and where to get it?

I'm really kind of shocked there are not more guys doing this.

It seems like an easy add on for $70-120.
I plan to start off doing only the easy ones, single floor through the wall types.
We don't have basements in my market, but we do have a lot of multilevel and high rise units.
Search my posts, I have posted many comments on how to do it with various equipment. We offer the service to every customer, every time and close 70% of our customers on it. It is a very easy soft sell as Dryer manufacturer's recommend annual cleanings, many condo communities require property owners to submit a annual receipt for the service, it saves money on the power bill as the dryer runs more efficiently without any obstructions in the vent, and the big one is that is prevents fires. In Columbus Ohio last year there were just over 300 fires caused by dirty dryer vents.

Those facts alone make cleaning of the dryer vent a no brainier. The ones we dont close are the DIY types who usually proceed to pull out their dryer vent cleaning kit from Home Depot and are all proud to show it off. I find if funny. Kinda like you ever notice how some women start to clean the house just after you arrive and start working. It usually the ultra clean houses. They just cant help themselves. Its like some mild form of OCD or something that is inherent to many women. I find it funny.

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
Watch out for wasp nests before you ever stick your hands or your face too close to the exit.
Ronman. There are a few different approaches. For me I try to do the whole thing from the inside so I don't have to deal with climbing or more importantly, falling. I use a combination of a cobra view camera and forward air skipper, a temperature probe to check the internal temp of the dryer, a magna helic meter to check the back pressure in the transition hose, and a anemometer to check air speed at the exit providing I don't have to climb to get to it.

Why all of these gadgets that you may never have even heard of? It helps you look very professional and can give proof to your customer that you have changed their situation for the better.

Example. I had an emergency call where the customer had burned out a dryer and replaced it, The new one was heating up the laundry room. I checked the internal temp which hit 600 degrees F. At the same time I took a reading with the magnahelic. It registered over one which is twice what it should. I showed these readings to the customer. It turned out he had two 90 degree bends near the exit that I just could not get any tool to go through from either side. Fortunately his duct work was in the basement ceiling and just took that section apart to clean it. If it was in a wall I am not sure what I could have done. After this his back pressure was at about .5 his temp was 200 F and I saw the exit air speed go up to 25 mph from 12 mph. The customer was glad to pay me the $125.00. Next he asks what all customers will. "How often should I have this cleaned" That's when you tell them about the Lint Alert. It is a home version of the Manahelic meter that he was just impresses with. I sold him one for $90.00 for a profit of $50. and he was thrilled to pay it.

You can get all of these meters very inexpensive. There are anemometers for professional use that are hundreds but if you search "pocket anonometer" you will find versions for mountain climbers that are $20.00 Mine is a Lacross and it works great.

I found a temp meter with probe at a sears hardware for cheap too. A magna can range in price from $60. to $100. Get your best deal from the Lint Alert guys probably if you buy a couple Lint Alerts from them I think they will give you a good deal on a meter if they still have them in stock. They also make the Dryer Flex transition hose. Once again, the dryer flex hose is not the same thing as the box store rigid aluminum but just with there name on it. It is soft and pliable and crush and kink resistant and is only about $5. for a four foot. You just have to order a couple and you will never go back.

If you are using your truck mount carpet machine as the vac then I have no idea what tools work with that. I use a small hepa and air from my neg. air machine. If anyone wants more info on the meters shoot me an e mail with your number or try calling me any time 610-323-8084 glenmarcinc@yahoo.com

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Pac cleaner.

You have managed to complicate dryer vent cleaning to the extreme. You do NOT need any of the above toys to get top dollar.

Just sayin

You impressing yourself or you female customer with your ghost-buster toys?

KISS
Keep is simple stupid

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
I see how it can look that way. Of course I don't always pull out the "toys". I often just walk in clean it out get paid and leave. I don't use them to get "top dollar" I charge the same either way and I don't tell them about equipment to get the job. You may have missed the part where I sold them a Lint Alert which is a home version of the magnahelic meter. After they see you use yours they are primed to want the same piece of mind themselves and you pocket an extra $50.00 I also just enjoy seeing the results for my self. To each his own.

Reactions: Deland Moghimi

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I see how it can look that way. Of course I don't always pull out the "toys". I often just walk in clean it out get paid and leave. I don't use them to get "top dollar" I charge the same either way and I don't tell them about equipment to get the job. You may have missed the part where I sold them a Lint Alert which is a home version of the magnahelic meter. After they see you use yours they are primed to want the same piece of mind themselves and you pocket an extra $50.00 I also just enjoy seeing the results for my self. To each his own.
I can see how they would be swayed after watching you use one.
The whole box of toys seems excessive, but I'm sure there are occasions where they come in handy.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I'm still wondering what brushes you guys use, and do you use a drillmotor or what exactly.

I don't have a tm, so I'll be getting a shop vac for that service.
What other tools?

pacleaner

Dec 24, 2012
Real Name
Glen Isaacson
Business Location
United States
Look in to the Nace brand heap vac. They have two power settings and are HALF the decibles of any other. I got a smaller one so it is very light. The heap vac from Nicro is very loud like a home store shop vac. The Nace just a couple hundred bucks.

You will need a way to connect the vac to the duct. I found pvc parts that matched up to everything with a "y" in it so you can push the tools through and I made a window in it so I can see the fluff going in to the vac. I can send you pics if you e mail me. glenmarcinc@yahoo.com. You need a reverse air skipper and a forward and a brush and I use a camera from cobra view. I imagine a lot of guys just shove a hose in there and say okay i'm done and get paid. I have often gone through a couple times and still saw a big chunk of fluff hanging on to a seam when I went in with the camera again. It isn't clean just because you saw a lot of junk blow out. You need a 24 cfm 130 to 175 psi compressor. They cost about $2000.00 TSC farm store has one I believe. E mail me or give me a call if you have other questions 610-323-8084 east coast time

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
Thanks Glen!
I will send you my email, then give you a call some time.

Check your email, and spam if you don't see it.

serviceproz

May 23, 2013
Real Name
jons Garned
ServiceProz.net is a leading web based solution that will give your growing business a competitive edge. We provide a complete solution for all sort of appliance repairing services. As a growing company, we have developed specialized programs to improve the appliance repairing and wellbeing of others.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
ServiceProz.net is a leading web based solution that will give your growing business a competitive edge. We provide a complete solution for all sort of appliance repairing services. As a growing company, we have developed specialized programs to improve the appliance repairing and wellbeing of others.

:rolleyes: o_O

Gregory Allen

Jul 4, 2013
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
i use the clear view duct cleaning system from Ramair.com.. Check it out.. costs about
$1,000 plus you will need a $150 compressor for 125 psi. It is very easy to sell, and I get from $129 to $169. Takes 15 minutes after a five minute set up and five minute take down. Literally, you can drive up, set up, clean the vent, verify strong air flow, and drive away, all within about 30 to 45 minutes. Easiest $200 or more hour you will make. AND... the system will pay for itself within a month if you promote it. Check their website for videos of how it work.. You will love it!

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Johnny got you azz kid lol look up^^^^^ his watchin' ya

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Iam a big fan of green cleaning. I prefer using natural products for commercial cleaning services Toronto . Our surroundings will be healthier and productivity will also improve. A small change can make all the difference. Even if I hire any cleaning services, I would check whether they are Eco logo certified.
you too pal johnny just got ya