Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Im Bret, I've been cleaning carpet for around ten years, and pressure washing fleet vehicles for twenty years. Currently on the fence about starting my own carpet biz because while I do work extremely hard, and do good work, I am not a people person. I do not like people in general. I don't really have any hobbies, since I work just about every day. If drinking beer is a hobby, then I have one. Single never married, no kids, thank god. Not a family man either. I do love dogs tho. and marijuana. And especially sucking rug.
hahahaha...priceless!

Reactions: powerhouse_cc

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I'm a simple man living well outside his skill set because I forced myself outside my comfort zone. I've gone from poor to a million dollar business by implementing systems and offering top notch quality and service. I'm a God 1st, family second and friends third type guy. I like helping others. I am not greedy but I am very competitive. I absolutely love the capitalistic competitive world.

Others say I have crazy amount of energy and earned the nickname "RoboRob" almost 30 years ago. I am self motivated, curious and have the determination of a pit bull. Therefore I never stop striving and moving forward. If I was an animal, I would be a honey badger cause a honey badger has an incredible tenacity and you have to kill him to stop him. Me in a nutshell.

Reactions: Andrew899

Jeff Marek

Aug 24, 2012
Real Name
Jeff Marek
Business Location
United States
I'm Jeff,
I recently retired after 33yrs as a Warehouse coordinator for Avon products all the while cleaning carpets for various companies part-time (2 owned by different family members).
Recently bought a used TCS Chief and a Ford E250 and clean carpet for myself, on my schedule!
It's a beautiful thing...

Reactions: Scott W

Jerryz

Sep 16, 2017
Real Name
Jerry Rutledge
I am Jerry,
I just purchased my first carpet cleaning kit, a Butler van/system. I also got a great deal on a portable system. I am planing to operate part-time until I retire from the military. I will use this time to learn the craft and get some mentoring from some of you seasoned experts. I truly am humbled by how much instructional information TMF has available for the novice like myself. Thanks for the add!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rookie question: what is meant by rinsing the carpet?
There are 3 ways to rinse a carpet;

1) Clear Water
2) Acidic rinse
3) Alkaline rinse

There is no right or wrong way. In general, each job dictates what you should use. Clear water for low level soiling. Acidic for urine soiling. Alkaline for rat nasties.

That al being said, one can use just a detergent rinse to clean if it’s non sticky, does not cause resoiling and crystalizes to enable future vacuuming to remove. This can work on low to medium soiling. But for rat nasty traffic patterns you will have to bring out the big guns to break it loose.

Reactions: sbsscn and Kyle8

M4sT3R T3CH

Feb 1, 2009
Topeka
Real Name
Randall Blackwell
Business Location
United States
My name is Randall. Been cleaning carpets for almost 17 years. The last 7 have been for myself. Currently have 3 TM. And 4 employers. Most free time spent teaching at church or filling in when my pastor is gone. Play guitar. Hang out with the wife and kids. Starting to realize the damages carpet cleaning can do to your body over time.

Reactions: PistolPete

kirch

May 20, 2017
Real Name
Greg Kirchner
I am Jerry,
I just purchased my first carpet cleaning kit, a Butler van/system. I also got a great deal on a portable system. I am planing to operate part-time until I retire from the military. I will use this time to learn the craft and get some mentoring from some of you seasoned experts. I truly am humbled by how much instructional information TMF has available for the novice like myself. Thanks for the add!
Thats my plan too. What branch, and how long to go?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Every time i come across this thread i see this monster delicious lookin bacon cheeseburger. Makin me hungry lol

Reactions: MikeGaure

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
Amy in Charlotte NC here. Wound up in the industry six years ago by happy accident, after getting laid off at Christmas from a big hardware retail chain (thanks, orange box... cough cough). Best thing that could have ever happened to me, in retrospect, elsewise I'd never have wound up here! Wound up working for a very small distributor that caters to cleaning and disaster restoration here in town, slowly growing to serve a larger area (and I'm ok with slow, because it keeps things one-on-one and I get to keep all my guys on a first-name basis). I love the industries in which I am now engaged and can't imagine being happier than where I am now.

Started out as a vet student at NCSU (degrees in Microbiology and English, because I love language), intended to stay in that industry after I reached Technician status but unless you're the doctor you can't make a living at it. Considered going for LPN or RN but am too tender-hearted to ever lose a human patient. Losing critters was bad enough!

In my spare time I experiment with cleaning and restoration projects, read everything I can get my hands on, listen to music and play classical piano, and spoil my Maine Coon cat. I also rescue injured box turtles (an extremely vulnerable species here in the Carolinas) and raise Isobel zebra finches.

When I've got the funds I also fish, spelunk, and enjoy hiking and climbing. Best experience ever was a six-week-long dry camping trip all the way through Alaska and back, truly a life-changing event.
Have you ever considered writing copy for the industry Amy? With your English degree and knowledge of the industry, it would be something extremely valuable.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
You give me far too much credit, Jose, LOL. I still have much to learn, and I learn from you guys on a daily basis.

Someday, perhaps, when I have learned more, I would like to be a teacher of some sort. Just recently I was authorized to be an exam monitor for the IICRC. But I have a long way to go before I could be comfortable putting anything down that could ever be construed as gospel.

My greatest joy in this industry isn't the chemistry, or the day-to-day successes of removing things that did not seem removable. It is watching my guys transition from fear and uncertainty into confidence. Watching them grow and succeed is an incredible joy, and I still can't believe that I am privileged enough to share in it.

Spence9123

Oct 13, 2016
Spokane WA
Real Name
Rhett Spence
Business Location
United States
Im Rhett, Been in the cleaning/restoration industry for 3 years now. Im the general manager of a company based out of Spokane Washington called LPM Supply. We are affiliated with an Interlink. We have a full show room, chemical-parts room, and a full service shop. LPM Supply is a mom and pop kinda shop. Engaged to the most awesome women ever. We spend a lot of time outdoors. Hunting, fishing, camping, skiing, traveling, and lots of home projects/chores.