White Marks Coming Up

Quickdryaus

Mar 31, 2015
Real Name
Noah Zamolo
Hi,

So we have cleaned this tile and grout using our turboforce attachment and phosphoric acid but these white marks keep coming back up.

My guess is that it is the calcium coming up from the subfloor. The client is insisting we get it off. Is there anything else I can try here?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

AZStoneguy

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Brady Wright
If they want that gone, they will need to tear out the pan and do it properly. The weep holes are clogged and not allowing water to drain from the mud bed. You can get them to pretty much disappear using acid and a silicon carbide grit brush on a variable speed polisher. But it will come back.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
If they want that gone, they will need to tear out the pan and do it properly. The weep holes are clogged and not allowing water to drain from the mud bed. You can get them to pretty much disappear using acid and a silicon carbide grit brush on a variable speed polisher. But it will come back.
And that's why they call you the stone guy, impressive!

Quickdryaus

Mar 31, 2015
Real Name
Noah Zamolo
AZstoneguy, thanks for your response.

What is it that's causing the white spots? Is it calcium? I just want to be sure and have as much info as possible to explain to the client. Thanks mate

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
Is it efflorescence?

AZStoneguy

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Brady Wright
It is calcium. Water penetrates the grout and into the pan. There are weep holes a few inches down inside the drain that are supposed to let the water drain from the mud bed pan. They get clogged by lazy installers. Water has no where to go and eventually evaporates or drys, but he minerals remain and work their way out the path of least resistance.

Reactions: Scott W

AZStoneguy

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Brady Wright
AZstoneguy, thanks for your response.

What is it that's causing the white spots? Is it calcium? I just want to be sure and have as much info as possible to explain to the client. Thanks mate

The other thing could be that the floor is not pitched properly and they have standing water remaining after use. The water evaporates and leaves the minerals.

Reactions: Scott W

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
IMG_1160.JPG
Y
The other thing could be that the floor is not pitched properly and they have standing water remaining after use. The water evaporates and leaves the minerals.
What would you do about this? Clients bathroom.

AZStoneguy

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Brady Wright
View attachment 69212 Y

What would you do about this? Clients bathroom.
That looks bad, needs to be replaced. But if they just want you to get rid of it, try a stiff wire brush to remove the bulk. Be careful of the grout though. Then acid. You can try a grout saw also. But that is a lot of build up coming from somewhere, there is a larger issue in that bathroom.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
That looks bad, needs to be replaced. But if they just want you to get rid of it, try a stiff wire brush to remove the bulk. Be careful of the grout though. Then acid. You can try a grout saw also. But that is a lot of build up coming from somewhere, there is a larger issue in that bathroom.
Thank you!
Could I use Acid Magic after getting rid of the bulk of it?

zigdog

Jan 20, 2011
Southern California
www.goodfaithcarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Tony H.
Business Location
United States
As AZ said, there is a bigger issue here. Effloresence, in case you don't know, is the result of water reacting with salts and minerals in the substrate and as the water evaporates through the grout joints, it carries the salts and minerals to the surface leaving white junk deposited on the surface. The water could in rare cases, could be introduced from the top but on a vertical surface it's highly unlikely. It is more likely that the moisture is coming from behind, that's the bigger issue here. What's behind the wall? Is it drywall? It's hard to tell. Is there plumbing in the wall? Is it an exterior wall? Is there a roof leak above? The moisture is coming from somewhere, and it's my opinion that if the moisture problem is not found and corrected, the effloresence will continue. Make sure that you communicate to your customer that cleaning is only a temporary fix. It is really not your problem.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
As AZ said, there is a bigger issue here. Effloresence, in case you don't know, is the result of water reacting with salts and minerals in the substrate and as the water evaporates through the grout joints, it carries the salts and minerals to the surface leaving white junk deposited on the surface. The water could in rare cases, could be introduced from the top but on a vertical surface it's highly unlikely. It is more likely that the moisture is coming from behind, that's the bigger issue here. What's behind the wall? Is it drywall? It's hard to tell. Is there plumbing in the wall? Is it an exterior wall? Is there a roof leak above? The moisture is coming from somewhere, and it's my opinion that if the moisture problem is not found and corrected, the effloresence will continue. Make sure that you communicate to your customer that cleaning is only a temporary fix. It is really not your problem.
The efflorescence is only around the toilets and sinks in this restaurant. It's in both bathrooms. Sometimes it's an exterior wall, sometimes a non load bearing interior wall, and sometimes it's a wall adjoining the neighboring business. The efflorescence shows up no matter what's behind the wall.

Reactions: aloha one