White magic commander

Mr. Steamy

Aug 13, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Real Name
Mark Bowen
Business Location
United States
Picked up this commander the other day. I have been going through it and it has had some parts replaced. The kholer 23 horse command has roughly 2900 hours on it and was about a quarter over filled with oil. I got the oil level correct and changed air filter, plugs, and fuel filter. it started and ran but rough. I pulled the coils and cleaned and tested them they are fine. I checked the carburetor and cleaned bowl and float though they were not that bad. I now have it set to idle at about 1800 rpm and it runs fine.
I will change the oil and filter, also change fluids in the blower and pump and drop new seals in pump as valves look fine and work.
My question is what would you remove , bypass, or replace before installing this unit?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Picked up this commander the other day. I have been going through it and it has had some parts replaced. The kholer 23 horse command has roughly 2900 hours on it and was about a quarter over filled with oil. I got the oil level correct and changed air filter, plugs, and fuel filter. it started and ran but rough. I pulled the coils and cleaned and tested them they are fine. I checked the carburetor and cleaned bowl and float though they were not that bad. I now have it set to idle at about 1800 rpm and it runs fine.
I will change the oil and filter, also change fluids in the blower and pump and drop new seals in pump as valves look fine and work.
My question is what would you remove , bypass, or replace before installing this unit?
How does it run at 3000 rpms now?

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
1800 rpms is waaay to high of an idle for that engine man. Not to mention if it starts that high that's a pretty rough start far as lubrication and what not.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
1800 rpms is waaay to high of an idle for that engine man. Not to mention if it starts that high that's a pretty rough start far as lubrication and what not.
Oh I didn't know he meant idle. Good point Spencer.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
From about 1700 to 3500 it's smooth. Also just found some slop in blower pully. bad bearings that could cause it to run a little rough at low rpm.
Ive got an old video on Youtube of me replacing blower bearing. Its not that hard just tedious and make sure you have access to the bearings.