beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Hey guys, got a question for yea here.

Had a customer ask for a quote on a large couch they have. Its in good condition some small soiling, but the color is (Fading?) To yellow(Originally white) its not noticeable when you look it it but the couch came in a set and when they are side by side you can really notice it. It sits in a sunny area as opposed to the other couch which is shaded.(I did close the curtains so that lightening was equal when comparing the two)

I was thinking some oxygen might perk it up a bit, any suggestions? I don't do much upholstery.

Thanks in Advance.

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Its synthetic, the tags had been removed so i did not get a chance to see exactly what it was.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Identifying the fabric is key to be suring of the cause and the cure. Sounds like it could be dyes degrading from exposure ot UV light. But can't tell for sure unless the fiber is identified.

If you try an oxidizer, do so in an inconspciuous area first, maybe around the zipper on a cushion. Strong oxidizers will weaken some natural fibers.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Try some acid rinse and a towel.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: StevenB.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Try some acid rinse and a towel.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Yes I would try this ! but before you do this look real close and see if the browning is thru-out the fabric or just on tips or edges,,,, if its thru-out and part of the fabric then you probably wont get it out, because its either sun fading from UV rays like Scott said, or nicotine or humidity sweat . If its just on the tips then a peroxide cleaner should remove and then I would try what rob said first and towel it dry and if that takes it off, then I would clean the couch with a peroxide cleaner.

Skitdog

Jun 12, 2015
Australia
Real Name
Mitch
If it's yellowing around the head rest and arm rests, it could be heart medication through perspiration. I can't count how many customers chairs I've done that are yellow in those areas, and they all report the same thing.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
If it's yellowing around the head rest and arm rests, it could be heart medication through perspiration. I can't count how many customers chairs I've done that are yellow in those areas, and they all report the same thing.
Interesting. I have learned something new.

Are you seeing much bonded rebond leather down under?

beau

Jun 5, 2015
BC, Canada
Real Name
Beau Phipps
Business Location
Canada
Hey guys, so the yellowing is very even and light throughout the coach in all places, its in a very well windowed area,the Exception being the very back as thats against a wall and is still white. i sadly was behind schedule today and totally forgot to take a picture, Tried a acid rinse by a zipper on a cushion as well as some O2 in two different spots. Acid wash did ziltch, O2 seemed to have a small effect, Cleaned the couch with a O2 prespray and the customer was happy with the results, although i must admit the yellowing was still there but it was certainly much cleaner lol

Thanks for the tips and info guys, much appreciated.

Skitdog

Jun 12, 2015
Australia
Real Name
Mitch
Interesting. I have learned something new.

Are you seeing much bonded rebond leather down under?
The first I found out was when I did a job for a doctor. His wife was on the medication and told me. From then on whenever I encountered something similar, I always asked. But you have to do so in a subtle way as to not upset the customer.

As for the leather, no not really. To be honest I probably do 1 leather clean to every 100 fabric, so I don't really do many leather jobs.