White cotton furniture

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Thankfully printed cottons "especially chitz's" are a thing of the past. Even though I gained so many customers from franchises turning them down over the phone. They called and I would say "yeah we clean that no problem".

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Thankfully printed cottons "especially chitz's" are a thing of the past. Even though I gained so many customers from franchises turning them down over the phone. They called and I would say "yeah we clean that no problem".
Ok so I’m couple hours into this. I’m just doing the cream/white colored cushions and back cushions. 16 years old from pottery barn. Never been cleaned. Pretty spotted and soiled.

did my best to set the expectation that it probably isn’t going to appear completely clean as are very soiled and also expressed doubt about spots coming out. She was five with that and wanted them ‘sanitized’.
she even agreed to approve the job with ‘hold harmless’ verbiage on the invoice.

so...I’m writing this because they just don’t appear like they are coming very clean. Granted there still drying but they look like when I started.

the hold harmless is worthless if my reputation takes a hit.
You guys ever not charge in the end for something like this??

maybe they’ll dry better...

almost considering just doing the seat cushions not the back cushions as they are down stuffed and might be a royal PIA.

thoughts??

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Haitian cotton shampoo is your friend. Test colorfastness on the back of the cushions straight away, hand shampoo and towel dry. You will be shocked at how ancient old school technology is really, really fast.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Haitian cotton shampoo is your friend. Test colorfastness on the back of the cushions straight away, hand shampoo and towel dry. You will be shocked at how ancient old school technology is really, really fast.
Fast yes...but will it work on heavily soiled and spotted cushions like the cream colored ones I had today??

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Fast yes...but will it work on heavily soiled and spotted cushions like the cream colored ones I had today??
Haitian is the only magical chem that has been around much longer than I have been cleaning. Buy some powdered chemspec HCS (it bricks like a MF'er... totally normal), use it and report back on what you find out. I think it will always be on your van afterwards.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Haitian is the only magical chem that has been around much longer than I have been cleaning. Buy some powdered chemspec HCS (it bricks like a MF'er... totally normal), use it and report back on what you find out. I think it will always be on your van afterwards.
OK. I hear you. Sounds magical.

To be clear, you are recommending I hand shampoo this on (like with a sea sponge or something) and then immediately towel dry.

And, I imagine you have good reason to recommend this method vs using this Chem to spray on and HWE?

Last, what's the reason you recommend getting the powdered vs the liquid?

Thank you for your time in helping me. I appreciate it.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
OK. I hear you. Sounds magical.

To be clear, you are recommending I hand shampoo this on (like with a sea sponge or something) and then immediately towel dry.

And, I imagine you have good reason to recommend this method vs using this Chem to spray on and HWE?

Last, what's the reason you recommend getting the powdered vs the liquid?

Thank you for your time in helping me. I appreciate it.
I personally use an old sea sponge cut down to just fit my hand and squeeze it out "some" for the perfect amount of foam+moisture to be applied "squeezed out" as I go and a standard horsehair brush. Drier application is with the sponge on 90% of the piece, the horsehair brush lives in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket with just 2 gallons of water in it and I periodically use it to whip up the contents into a mad froth. For the dirtier sections I bring out the horsehair brush to work the tough areas much better than I can with the sponge.

Pro tip: whip the bucket into a mad froth and wait a bit before scooping only the top for the driest foam on delicate, fast dry only pieces or bleeders. I water clean all fibers including solvent only labeled pieces. I just do it differently than the average TM only guy... less is more.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
"OK. I hear you. Sounds magical."

After this "dickey" reply I will answer your last question. Powders don't fückin freeze in your GD van smart guy.
I am listening. Was not a “dickey” reply. Could only be misinterpretation due to online writing.

if Works as you describe really would be magical. I broke my ass on 4 cushions today for hours.

fudgeing with stronger solutions of Revive as well as stronger acid rinse in my water hog. Also experimented with increased agitation going ape shit with horsehair brush. And, experimented with longer dwell times.

after cleaning each cushion the second time,5-10 extraction directions I was able to get a muchimproved result t but a couple sides still didn’t come out very good. The one side with the preexisting water mark (brownout) barely budged even though I acid rinsed the shit out of it.

so Yeah, I’m definetly open to a magical solution.

Good news I didn’t lose a customer. She was pissed after the first cleaning on e cushions and she basically said forget the cushions. I asked her if she minded if I try again on the dirtiest one. So after getting at least a better result I spent 3 more hours redoing the 4 of them.
Luckily they saw my effort and I already told her don’t pay me after the first cleaning.
At the end they saw the improvement and I basically let her name her price. So yeah I got paid (small amount) $325 for 8 hours of experience, testing, and learning. Including a set of stairs, carpet.

I’m buying that Fin powder and will see if she will let me use it whenshe has me do the wool rugs before Xmas.

so yeah, do you see why I’m open to the magical solution?

i am young, but am not a fresh faced baby. So I’m not in habit of acting like a dick when trying to learn.

Did I say I appreciate your help? Thank you.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I am listening. Was not a “dickey” reply. Could only be misinterpretation due to online writing.

if Works as you describe really would be magical. I broke my ass on 4 cushions today for hours.

fudgeing with stronger solutions of Revive as well as stronger acid rinse in my water hog. Also experimented with increased agitation going ape shit with horsehair brush. And, experimented with longer dwell times.

after cleaning each cushion the second time,5-10 extraction directions I was able to get a muchimproved result t but a couple sides still didn’t come out very good. The one side with the preexisting water mark (brownout) barely budged even though I acid rinsed the shit out of it.

so Yeah, I’m definetly open to a magical solution.

Good news I didn’t lose a customer. She was pissed after the first cleaning on e cushions and she basically said forget the cushions. I asked her if she minded if I try again on the dirtiest one. So after getting at least a better result I spent 3 more hours redoing the 4 of them.
Luckily they saw my effort and I already told her don’t pay me after the first cleaning.
At the end they saw the improvement and I basically let her name her price. So yeah I got paid (small amount) $325 for 8 hours of experience, testing, and learning. Including a set of stairs, carpet.

I’m buying that Fin powder and will see if she will let me use it whenshe has me do the wool rugs before Xmas.

so yeah, do you see why I’m open to the magical solution?

i am young, but am not a fresh faced baby. So I’m not in habit of acting like a dick when trying to learn.

Did I say I appreciate your help? Thank you.
Actually, I really wanted to use citrus solv on the cushions that stuff is magical on carpet. But not knowing how that would fly on the cotton I let the thought pass.

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Today we cleaned a 5 piece set imported from Italy at a cost(furniture not the clean) of 20k. We clean them every yr or 2. A tremendous amount of liquid spills and browning. All were removed and the furniture restored again to new condition. Much more difficult than cleaning a cheap viscose area rug. 4hrs to clean furniture and a $40k 14x16 wool rug.
Can you tell me what your process was for cleaning this? Honestly, if this was me, I would probably just prespray with some prochem fine fabric or Avenge fine fabric in a pump up, agitate with horse hair, and extract with low moisture upholstery tool, and set up some fans to speed dry. If that didn't make it look good i would probably refer it to someone else, and
I would probably charge not NEARLY enough for it. I would love to get better at upholstery and charge appropriately.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I personally use an old sea sponge cut down to just fit my hand and squeeze it out "some" for the perfect amount of foam+moisture to be applied "squeezed out" as I go and a standard horsehair brush. Drier application is with the sponge on 90% of the piece, the horsehair brush lives in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket with just 2 gallons of water in it and I periodically use it to whip up the contents into a mad froth. For the dirtier sections I bring out the horsehair brush to work the tough areas much better than I can with the sponge.

Pro tip: whip the bucket into a mad froth and wait a bit before scooping only the top for the driest foam on delicate, fast dry only pieces or bleeders. I water clean all fibers including solvent only labeled pieces. I just do it differently than the average TM only guy... less is more.
Is the above ^ method considered water cleaning?