White chair skirt browned

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
Hey Everyone

I was out cleaning carpet at a customers house the other day. There was a white chair sitting in the Master bedroom and we must have cleaned to close to the chair because the skirt of the chair browned where the wet carpet was touching. It must have wicked up the fabric. Initially we didn't know but got a call about a week later. Me and one of my techs went out and tried to remove the browning. We applied chemspec browning treatment, let dwell for a few minutes, extracted with an upholstery tool and speed dried with an air mover. It lightened up but wasn't completely gone. We asked the customer if we could take it back to our shop to work on it and she agreed. We decided to try citric acid and it continues to lighten after every attempt. Is there any better method to get results right away? I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_7755.JPG
    IMG_7755.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7758.JPG
    IMG_7758.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7849.JPG
    IMG_7849.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7850.JPG
    IMG_7850.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7851.JPG
    IMG_7851.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7852.JPG
    IMG_7852.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 80

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The best anti-browning treatments I know of are citric/acetic acid (gentler, less smelly, but take longer) and sodium metabisulfate (stinky, aggressive, fast-acting). Peroxides can be used in some circumstances but in the case of cream- or ivory-colored upholstery there is risk of bleaching out the desired color.

Note that the tag shown in your image only shows fill content (padding), not face fiber (fabric) - the law requires that fill content be listed but says nothing about claiming what the fabric itself is made of. So be wary of trusting tags.

Reactions: sbsscn

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
How long do you think I should be letting the citric acid dwell on the fabric? I've been extracting it each time I apply it or should I just let it dry into the fabric?
At this point we have tried to remove the water stain 7-8 times. Applying the treatment, extracting with an upholstery tool, and speed drying every attempt. We have used both citric acid and a browning treatment with sodium metabisulfate. There is still a faint ring. The customer won't be happy if its not completely removed. Do we have any hope of completely removing it or should we call it quits?

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This

Attachments

• cotton shampoo nice .png
    cotton shampoo nice .png
    378.8 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: sbsscn

scuba455

Jul 22, 2006
Florida
This
Rob will this work on a chair that has rayon and linen in the fabric?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: scuba455

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Rob will this work on a chair that has rayon and linen in the fabric?

If this has Rayon in it, I Would use extreme caution. Understanding the cleaning characteristics of Rayon will save you money and from a nightmare. Use as minimal moisture as possible.

Try a haitan cotton shampoo with a reducer in it. Mix into a bucke t a wisk a lather/foam and only use foam to work gently into the fabric, low low moisture and low agitation. should help

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
Thanks for everyones input. I just applied some chemspec haitian cotton shampoo to the skirt of the chair. I'm going to let it dwell for a few minutes then extract with an upholstery tool with the water valve turned down low. fingers crossed.

Reactions: rob allen

Paradise305

Jun 25, 2018
Real Name
Nick Brereton
UPDATE: Haitian cotton shampoo did the trick. I was using citric acid and browning treatment (one at a time) and it hit a certain point where the brown water stain wasn't getting any lighter. As soon as I started to use the haitian cotton shampoo the stain instantly got lighter. I did this 4-5 more times speed drying with air movers in between and it faded right away. Me and one of our techs had to deliver the chair back in the pouring rain which was fun. The customer was pleased. Thanks for every ones help on this one.