MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Eeeeeeek! Windex is the worst!
Sunlight dish soap never fails
Haven’t that locally most dish soaps will be fine.

GG4 is okay but costly and always had to add a drop or two of dawn for glide.

I really like the moerman soap smells good and has awesome glide but it’s cost is too high. Dish soap it is!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Dawn and other dish soaps can leave a film that will cause resoiling. I use Glass Gleam 4 with just a couple drops of dawn to add better glide but the Glass Glean keeps the film from building up.

Windex is good for spray and wipe cleaning but it should be diluted. I dilute it 50/50 with distilled water. Works great, no film.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Dawn and other dish soaps can leave a film that will cause resoiling. I use Glass Gleam 4 with just a couple drops of dawn to add better glide but the Glass Glean keeps the film from building up.

Windex is good for spray and wipe cleaning but it should be diluted. I dilute it 50/50 with distilled water. Works great, no film.
Yes if used with a rag. But not when using traditional window cleaning methods. The squeegee removes the soap and residue, only area that will retain some residue is the seals and that’s not a big deal.

Otherwise we would get immediate call backs I’m in the desert and we get lots of dust storms so it would show immediately.

GG4 (glass gleam) works well but has terrible glide for our windows here. Desert sun cooks glass even early in the morning, soon as it’s wet it dries out.

Regardless dawn rocks for the price and obviously you don’t need a whole lot.

If your technique is solid.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Yes if used with a rag. But not when using traditional window cleaning methods. The squeegee removes the soap and residue, only area that will retain some residue is the seals and that’s not a big deal.

Otherwise we would get immediate call backs I’m in the desert and we get lots of dust storms so it would show immediately.

GG4 (glass gleam) works well but has terrible glide for our windows here. Desert sun cooks glass even early in the morning, soon as it’s wet it dries out.

Regardless dawn rocks for the price and obviously you don’t need a whole lot.

If your technique is solid.
It can build a film even with a squeegee. It's become an issue on some accounts that get cleaned weekly. After about 6 months problems started to arise.

GG4 does have terrible glide, lol.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
It can build a film even with a squeegee. It's become an issue on some accounts that get cleaned weekly. After about 6 months problems started to arise.

GG4 does have terrible glide, lol.
You must be adding too much man we’ve never had an issue with it. We also have weekly accounts with a lot of large glass in a very busy place. So we see it very regularly. That’s all most old schoolers use GG4 is just overpriced and you still add Dawn too it bwahahahah

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I dont actually do the windows but we have been doing them for a while now (4yrs)and dawn seems to be the best bet. Both guys we've had doing windows are very experienced and that's what they use, along with really nice high end squeegees

We have a pretty solid window gross per year with lots of repeats

Reactions: MikeGaure

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I dont actually do the windows but we have been doing them for a while now (4yrs)and dawn seems to be the best bet. Both guys we've had doing windows are very experienced and that's what they use, along with really nice high end squeegees

We have a pretty solid window gross per year with lots of repeats
Same here we don’t clean windows much have others doing the cleaning now! Very glad it allows us to focus on getting new business

Conker

Sep 8, 2019
Real Name
Anders Conk
Joy soap is better than Dawn. I've used both and I like joy. Dawn works but the feel isn't as good. In a 5 gallon bucket squirt back and forth and back about half way. That'll get you the right mixture.

Tom Forsythe

Mar 20, 2006
Salt lake City, UT
The key ingredient in any glass cleaner mixture is quality water (distilled, deionized). Other ingredients are needed in very small amounts. Too much residue can build up, but proper techniques will significantly limit any issues.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
Technique is the "best window cleaner". My father cleaned windows for 30 years with just water. Not that I'm recommending that! I like a bit of Mrs Myers applied right on the strip washer for the great smell.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Joy soap is better than Dawn. I've used both and I like joy. Dawn works but the feel isn't as good. In a 5 gallon bucket squirt back and forth and back about half way. That'll get you the right mixture.
Depends on how hard your water is too.
Technique is the "best window cleaner". My father cleaned windows for 30 years with just water. Not that I'm recommending that! I like a bit of Mrs Myers applied right on the strip washer for the great smell.
I’ve done it with pure water that has a tds of zero but dawn is cheap and fast.

Pulse the suds help me see what I’m doing

That’s pretty cool bout your dad