Which trailer should I buy? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Which trailer should I buy?

Wat

Mar 7, 2018
Real Name
Jennifer Watson
New to carpet and tile cleaning. This will be a side business until we can turn it into full time. We own another service business and have a new Ram truck. Looking to purchase a trailer. I understand the pros and cons to a trailer but that looks like our best route for the time being, unless it’s just better to buy a used van but I’d be more concerned about the van breaking down and overall cost of purchasing etc.

We’re leaning towards purchasing the new model Sapphire 370 SS with a 90 gallon tank, reel, tile attachment etc etc. He might eventually venture into water damage restoration but carpet and tile for now.

What’s the smallest size we could go without having regrets?? We’re currently leaning towards a 6X12 and more than likely a tandem axle. We live in a beach city so some spots will be tight unfortunately. So I’m wondering if a 5x10 single axle would be pushing it. Pros/cons. This would also be stored most likely in our driveway which has a slight incline. We would block the truck in front. Any and all advice is welcome!

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I would go with the 12 foot. I have use both a 10 foot and a 12 foot and though it is 2 feel longer, I actually find maneuvering the 12 foot trailer to be easier than the 10 foot.

Reactions: Wat

Wat

Mar 7, 2018
Real Name
Jennifer Watson
I would go with the 12 foot. I have use both a 10 foot and a 12 foot and though it is 2 feel longer, I actually find maneuvering the 12 foot trailer to be easier than the 10 foot.
What are your thoughts on tandem vs. single axle? Thx

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I prefer single axle for maneuverability, also, 2 tires to buy instead of 4. That said, single or double axle will really come down to your weight requirements. If your TM, with solution tank full, hoses, fans and whatever else you need for equipment, weighs in above the rating of your axle, then you're going to have a problem. Figure out the max weight of your full set up, and then determine single or double axle based on that.

Mar 2, 2017
Real Name
larry snyder
Go BIG or go home...lol...
Mine is a 16ft double axle....TM is mounted on the side door entrance and all tools ect hang on the walls......Im already running out of space.....The key is stay ORGANIZED !!
don't get sloppy......

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 261

Wat

Mar 7, 2018
Real Name
Jennifer Watson
That’s awesome! Space is good but we’re based in California though and a beach city so that would definitely be hard to pull off here. What are the pros to mounting the TM to the side rather than the back ? And how did you organize it to stabilize the weight? Thx

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Ideally, you set up your trailer so that 10% the total weight is on the tongue. So if you're total weight is 2000 pounds, 200 pounds will be supported by the hitch on your truck.

Reactions: rob allen
Mar 2, 2017
Real Name
larry snyder
That’s awesome! Space is good but we’re based in California though and a beach city so that would definitely be hard to pull off here. What are the pros to mounting the TM to the side rather than the back ? And how did you organize it to stabilize the weight? Thx

Born and raised in CA.....Newport beach/Huntington beach area.....I know all about tight area's, thats why I got the hell out of CA....TO MANY DAMN PEOPLE !!....but, being able to drop the trailer and go (let the guys work while i'm doing estimates is great)....It all comes down to how comfortable you are pulling a trailer....I can put my trailer anywhere a car can park, never had a problem.....You will find out that as you add things space adds up quick, leave yourself room to grow........my trailer is a cengry 16x8.5....barn doors....NO ramp door......good luck .

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: rob allen and Wat

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Born and raised in CA.....Newport beach/Huntington beach area.....I know all about tight area's, thats why I got the hell out of CA....TO MANY DAMN PEOPLE !!....but, being able to drop the trailer and go (let the guys work while i'm doing estimates is great)....It all comes down to how comfortable you are pulling a trailer....I can put my trailer anywhere a car can park, never had a problem.....You will find out that as you add things space adds up quick, leave yourself room to grow........my trailer is a cengry 16x8.5....barn doors....NO ramp door......good luck .
Wish I could get away with no ramp. I've got auto scrubbers and buffers going in and out though.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I currently run part time also. I have a 7'x12' tandem with my unit mounted in the back with barn doors. I really like having a trailer for the room and being able to drop the trailer off with mechanic and leave. As I grow my company I keep acquiring more tools, so I'm currently working on a new setup. It's a 8.5x16' with a 2' v-nose tandem axle with 5200 lbs axles. Insulated all the way around. I hope to be able to have a small tool chest with a top for working on minor stuff. Instead of barn doors I went with a ramp door in the rear for wheeling out my 175, 360 xl, and occasional portable. The unit will be mounted out the side door. One thing to consider is sometimes with a trailer you can not always get as close to the job as you want, so you want to have a unit that can run a little longer hose runs.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
Short answer is it depends on your surrounding neighborhoods. I've run both a 6x10 single and a 7x12 v nose tandem. I had leaf springs on the single and torshion on the tandem. Once decked out that's a extreeme amount of weight on a single axle. Besides, if a tire ever goes (and sooner or later one will) having two axles is really nice. Also going over speed bumps in nicer with two axles as well. Most waste tanks run east to west. If you have a deep set of shelves that does not make for much or any room between the two in a 6 ft wide trailer. That said, I turned my waste tank lengthwise and run it down the wall. I could have easily gotten by with a 6ft wide tralier set up this way...but a 7 is nice to have move around room in. The v nose adds quite a lot of space. I have barn doors and tow with an xterra. It keeps my setup as short as possible. If I had a different tow vehicle, a 12 foot trailer, and a ramp door...I'd be extreemly long. As it is now I fit in most driveways even if I might be over the sidewalk to the street. Of I can just pull along side the house and pull more hose. I love working out of a trailer...no waste tank smell either, lots of headroom.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
New to carpet and tile cleaning. This will be a side business until we can turn it into full time. We own another service business and have a new Ram truck. Looking to purchase a trailer. I understand the pros and cons to a trailer but that looks like our best route for the time being, unless it’s just better to buy a used van but I’d be more concerned about the van breaking down and overall cost of purchasing etc.

We’re leaning towards purchasing the new model Sapphire 370 SS with a 90 gallon tank, reel, tile attachment etc etc. He might eventually venture into water damage restoration but carpet and tile for now.

What’s the smallest size we could go without having regrets?? We’re currently leaning towards a 6X12 and more than likely a tandem axle. We live in a beach city so some spots will be tight unfortunately. So I’m wondering if a 5x10 single axle would be pushing it. Pros/cons. This would also be stored most likely in our driveway which has a slight incline. We would block the truck in front. Any and all advice is welcome!
A 6x12 trailer has the exact axle that a 8x12 trailer has. Your wasting a lot of space going with a 6x12. Tires sit in the exact same position on both trailers. Why have huge fenders when you could have more space. I have a 8x12 and love it. I added an extra foot and a half in height so I can store my wands and walk under them. If you want pictures I’ll post a few.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
That is not a 16x8.5. Maybe 16x7. The fenders are 8.5ft wide.

Grn Steamer

Dec 5, 2014
Real Name
Matt R
A 6x12 trailer has the exact axle that a 8x12 trailer has. Your wasting a lot of space going with a 6x12. Tires sit in the exact same position on both trailers. Why have huge fenders when you could have more space. I have a 8x12 and love it. I added an extra foot and a half in height so I can store my wands and walk under them. If you want pictures I’ll post a few.
That would be great. Post some pics.
That's true on a wells cargo (axle width).
It's by design, because of parking in peoples driveways. My 6 footer I could back in nearly anywhere. My 7 footer is quite wide at times. An 8 footer would be out of the question and leave me parking in the street, often. There are lots of trees, especially palm trees in my area and young oak trees that encroach on peoples driveways. WITH tow mirrors I doubt I could see the sides of an 8 footer, I can barely see them on my 7 footer, but my tow vehicle is narrow. These are not short runs from the street to the house either and it rains here...often...the less hose I have laying on the ground the better. Lastly, it's so much easier winding up hoses with my machine (mounted out the back) pointed right at them...instead of parking on the street where all hoses have to make a right angle turn to get in the trailer.

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Pulling with your truck ? Utilize the truck bed to save on weight and space in your trailer.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
That would be great. Post some pics.
That's true on a wells cargo (axle width).
It's by design, because of parking in peoples driveways. My 6 footer I could back in nearly anywhere. My 7 footer is quite wide at times. An 8 footer would be out of the question and leave me parking in the street, often. There are lots of trees, especially palm trees in my area and young oak trees that encroach on peoples driveways. WITH tow mirrors I doubt I could see the sides of an 8 footer, I can barely see them on my 7 footer, but my tow vehicle is narrow. These are not short runs from the street to the house either and it rains here...often...the less hose I have laying on the ground the better. Lastly, it's so much easier winding up hoses with my machine (mounted out the back) pointed right at them...instead of parking on the street where all hoses have to make a right angle turn to get in the trailer.
40B63E70-2D60-44CE-B4F7-840649B29A71.jpeg
9CFA42F3-352C-4608-8115-AD2F28717B53.jpeg
6C205B6C-1D9B-43E6-B38D-2D11DF62E77B.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FBF71AD-05DD-44A5-9A33-FCE9366AC73A.jpeg
    2FBF71AD-05DD-44A5-9A33-FCE9366AC73A.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 187

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I've been pulling a 7x12 for 11 years. There is not enough space if you want to do water restoration. there is room for small jobs. I eventually purchased a 8.5x28 just for water restoration. The machine should sit on the axle.

smart n kleen

Smart N Kleen
Premium VIP
Mar 12, 2010
oregon
Real Name
Rick K
Business Location
United States
I've been pulling a 7x12 for 11 years. There is not enough space if you want to do water restoration. there is room for small jobs. I eventually purchased a 8.5x28 just for water restoration. The machine should sit on the axle.
Exactly. My machine sits on the axle as well. I put my machine in first then designed the rest around it.