Which protector do you think resists re-soiling best? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Which protector do you think resists re-soiling best?

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
For those who have tried different protectants, of those you have tried, which one resists re-soiling best - looks good the longest?
I am not talking about protecting from stains or spills, I am interested to know how they perform for keeping the carpet looking clean compared to others. In other words how good are they at repelling dirt?

Has anybody done side by side comparisons to test this?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
For those who have tried different protectants, of those you have tried, which one resists re-soiling best - looks good the longest?
I am not talking about protecting from stains or spills, I am interested to know how they perform for keeping the carpet looking clean compared to others. In other words how good are they at repelling dirt?

Has anybody done side by side comparisons to test this?
I did comparisons a few years ago,,, stainmaster stuff was the best but they were all close

Robntina

Dec 11, 2014
Real Name
Robert Wadley
I did comparisons a few years ago,,, stainmaster stuff was the best but they were all close
I'm talking about protectants that we apply as cleaners. Not what is factory applied by the manufacturers.

Sierra Clean Care

Feb 22, 2015
Real Name
Jeff T.
I'm talking about protectants that we apply as cleaners. Not what is factory applied by the manufacturers.
The main purpose for protectant, is to ‘buy some time ‘ for the customer to get a towel, and clean up said spill. The second thing it does, is protect the fibre from ‘absorbing soil’..... which means, the next time we clean, it’s easier to clean.... at least that’s how I was taught.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I did a test on 8 protectors about 13 years ago. OMS based protectors won hands down. We used to use Carpet Guard but when they raised their prices (almost doubled) we switched to Hardball. Get same results. We use Lemon Scent

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
We have done a lot of testing on this. Tried the big names, Scotchgard, Advanced with Teflon, Maxim Advanced and several others.

There are 4 things a protector should work against - Dry Soils which is the biggest enemy to the life to the fiber, water borne soils, oily soils, and food dyes plus artificial coloring.

Of the major brands, only Maxim Advanced has acid dye blockers to block the colored dyes. This is what most customers worry about. It also works well against dry soils and water based soils.

Teflon IS by far the best protection against oily soils.

Scotchgard works good against dry soils and OK against watery soils.

I suggest MAxim for nylon and wool.. Advanced with Teflon for most of the oil-loving carpets like triexta, polyester and olefin.

Reactions: SWAGMAN

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
We have done a lot of testing on this. Tried the big names, Scotchgard, Advanced with Teflon, Maxim Advanced and several others.

There are 4 things a protector should work against - Dry Soils which is the biggest enemy to the life to the fiber, water borne soils, oily soils, and food dyes plus artificial coloring.

Of the major brands, only Maxim Advanced has acid dye blockers to block the colored dyes. This is what most customers worry about. It also works well against dry soils and water based soils.

Teflon IS by far the best protection against oily soils.

Scotchgard works good against dry soils and OK against watery soils.

I suggest MAxim for nylon and wool.. Advanced with Teflon for most of the oil-loving carpets like triexta, polyester and olefin.
What protector do you suggest for greasy restaurant carpet?

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
What protector do you suggest for greasy restaurant carpet?
If any protector, Advanced with Teflon. In many such situations it is best to get them to put the money toward more frequent cleaning. Seldom do I suggest protector for commercial accounts unless they really care for the carpet.

Reactions: SWAGMAN

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
If any protector, Advanced with Teflon. In many such situations it is best to get them to put the money toward more frequent cleaning. Seldom do I suggest protector for commercial accounts unless they really care for the carpet.
This is for my benefit. I clean for them every three months. Still the grease is thick on the carpet though. Wanted to put down a protector to make my job easier for the next cleaning.