Which portable

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
If you’re testing 6.6 motors that has plastics you must not be testing LX motors as there is no plastic on the frame of an LX motor.
John motors do have plastic on them that's around the motor winding and has a higher likelihood to retain to retain heat

No the frame does not have any plastic
All the time testing I have done thus far have shown that they are a good motor if I find something to the contrary I will put it out there.
I do have observations I do not feel there not as durable so we'll see what the long-term is. It's not like people are pulling them out of the extractor and drop kick.

And for their size they are very impressive.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I will kinda disagree that a plastic motor cover will retain more heat. The com end fan is the same on every ametek motor and pulling the same volume of air over the com and windings. The housing is going to be relatively similar to the air passing through it. If the com end is pulling outside air and not cabinet air, I wouldn't even sweat it.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I will kinda disagree that a plastic motor cover will retain more heat. The com end fan is the same on every ametek motor and pulling the same volume of air over the com and windings. The housing is going to be relatively similar to the air passing through it. If the com end is pulling outside air and not cabinet air, I wouldn't even sweat it.
As I said in an earlier statement this is tit for tat
Plastic is an insulator but it is part of the cooling system so it's probably neither here nor there. and really think about it that's the thing I found to critique.

It's not like I picked it up and said oh what a piece of junk
It simply stated that there are some decisions that have been made due to economics that is not necessarily a bad thing
It may or may not affect the long-term health of it it'll take testing and time to tell

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The 122234-18 has the plastic housing and a pretty good track record. I've got over 600 hours on my LX's on the original brushes, still humming along... I'm not even worried about longevity at this point they have proven themselves to me to be similar to the 2 stage mentioned above.

Reactions: Ymetimme

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
The 122234-18 has the plastic housing and a pretty good track record. I've got over 600 hours on my LX's on the original brushes, still humming along... I'm not even worried about longevity at this point they have proven themselves to me to be similar to the 2 stage mentioned above.
You know it's kind of funny Jim remember the good old days when you had to change brushes every 500 hours and if you got another 200 out of the motor u song its praises.
And now we're nitpicking over which is better let's face it both the 8.4 and the LX are terrific motors.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Oh and I forgot to mention that using it LX with an 8.4 in the rear is a pretty spectacular combo.
It's like the perfect combination of horsepower and torque

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
When I tested them I was getting 220 cfm ATM and 181 at 100'. Even though the cfm's are lower than dual LX's, the usable mid-range lift was awesome.
Jim I found numbers to be off I was getting in one 182.34 at a hundred feet and 219.4 cfm's. Lol seriously that's straight off my datasheet

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
Oh and I have discovered a combo that is more powerful the LX for the 8.4 2 stage some more testing needs to be done before I talk about it

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
It's on the motor cover look at your own motors
You are correct but this shouldn't be a deterrent in choosing a motor.
If I recall the Ametek 2 stage 6.6 motor cover is plastic as are most of the Ametek 5.7s.

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
You are correct but this shouldn't be a deterrent in choosing a motor.
If I recall the Ametek 2 stage 6.6 motor cover is plastic as are most of the Ametek 5.7s.
Yes they do
Keep in mind we're comparing them to the 8.4 which does not

JRH

Mar 16, 2011
Real Name
jr h
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
even if the metal cover does act as heatsink in some small way ... if your machine has adaquate cooling , fans etc ... then any benefit for a metal cover would be negligible .
after that its just adding weight .

NickNZ

Jul 14, 2016
Real Name
Nick Kelly
When I tested them I was getting 220 cfm ATM and 181 at 100'. Even though the cfm's are lower than dual LX's, the usable mid-range lift was awesome.
You haven’t tried 3 lx in series at all? I wonder what the numbers would be like. I’m thinking about hooking 3x 8.4 in series for a laugh this afternoon and might try an 8.4 behind the lx series setup. I’ve got no testing equipment but it will be interesting what sort of weight either setup may be able to lift

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
You haven’t tried 3 lx in series at all? I wonder what the numbers would be like. I’m thinking about hooking 3x 8.4 in series for a laugh this afternoon and might try an 8.4 behind the lx series setup. I’ve got no testing equipment but it will be interesting what sort of weight either setup may be able to lift
My favorite setup is 8.4 in series with 2 8.4 pulling in parallel the numbers so far are absolutely stupid 214 Lyft and 304 cfm's

Reactions: NickNZ

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Also how you have a lot of experience seeing I'm on the market for a new oscilloscope should I go for a newer Fluke 190-204/AM 4 the cost is very prohibitive I know they work rockin good or would you go for a rigol ds1054z they're both for channel one is handheld one is not. I really don't see the need for handheld for this application
What frequency range? I have a Tektronic Oscope doing nothing.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I may have both. Let me check, I had a nice spectrum analyzer but can’t recall if I sold it

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I may have both. Let me check, I had a nice spectrum analyzer but can’t recall if I sold it
I currently have a Snap-On vanquish scan tool and oscilloscope it is very niceI have some issues when it comes to checking some of the peak freq frequency numbers it's really set up for 12-volt systems it will do anything I ask it to I'm just scared I'll destroy a $2,000 oscope