Which one of these 3 is the best starter unit. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Which one of these 3 is the best starter unit.

brickhouse40

Jan 25, 2012
Maryland
Real Name
Mike Brickles
Business Location
United States
Trying to decide which starter unit to go with. I don't see too many diferences in them but I'm sure you guys know something I don't about each. The prices are all similar. Please let me know which one you think would be the best to go with. Suggestions for other starter units are welcome. I tried to buy a used package deal but they all needed too much work. Planning to buy a used van then installing a new unit.

Prochem Blazer GT
Century 400 Avenger 550
HydraMaster Boxxer 318

Thanks, Mike

gtech12v

Dec 2, 2008
California
Real Name
Gerson Anaya
Business Location
United States
Prochem Blazer GT and the Century 400 Avenger 550 same unit Century is cheaper
I will go with Amtex inferno bigger engine,blower and heat for less money

ctech

Premium VIP
Jan 26, 2009
Tennessee
Real Name
Randy Wills
Business Location
United States
blazer... ive heard only good things about amtex, you should at least add them to your list

Nutstyle

Jul 25, 2009
FL
Real Name
Alberto Rivero
Business Location
United States
Blazer id say but consider the infernos too you will regret if not.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I went from a prochem to Amtex Inferno, and I'm not looking back. The new Inferno costs $6k less than the prochem and it has the same engine, blower, water pump, etc. and is made simpler, but has bigger heat exchangers around the engine's exhaust which is where the real heat is. Prochem and Hydramaster use the blower's exhaust to preheat the water which makes no sense to me. Not only does it create a resistance, it also prevents the blower to give it's full potential on the most it could suck out of the carpet. My dry times are literally cut in half. And I don't see how he does it, but Ben (the owner), is the one and only one who I talk to when I have a problem. I don't see how he has the time to talk to all his customers around the world that he sells to. If you're just starting out and your getting a unit brand new. Go Amtex

If your going used, look for an 80's to late 90's Prochem Legend or bigger with under 1500 hrs. That's the best quality that prochem's ever come out with

brickhouse40

Jan 25, 2012
Maryland
Real Name
Mike Brickles
Business Location
United States
Ok, Amtex has been added to the list and after talking to Ben it is at the top of the list. Is the Inferno fairly easy to install? I was going to have a local dealer install the Prochem or hydraMaster but I don't think they will install a unit they dont sell, so I think I will have to install the Amtex myself.

brickhouse40

Jan 25, 2012
Maryland
Real Name
Mike Brickles
Business Location
United States
I have looked into Amtex a little more and one of my concerns are the availability of parts and service. I have found a few shops that would install it, but tell me after that they couldn't help me much more than that. They can't get parts for them and don't honor the warranty. For this reason I think I will stick the Prochem. These shops stock parts for these units and have 24 hr service if need be. Maybe you guys have some more info or input on this.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I installed the Amtex myself with just 3 other guys and a 12 pack of beer afterwards. The hard part is putting the machine in your van and trailer, so when you pick it up at the shipping yard, you can get the man who drives the forklift to lift it up and put it in your van. If you're a lady who is worried about doing that kind of work, you should know someone who can help.

On servicing it, it's real user friendly and You can call Ben (the owner) directly and he'll guide you through it. If you have $18k to blow, go with the first 3 you mentioned. If you want to save $7-$8k and have a machine that you can easily work on with the same quality of engine, blower, water pump and better heat exchanger, go with Amtex. You're thinking of this too hard

L.C

Oct 17, 2010
california
www.monstersteamer.net
Real Name
ludovic castronovo
Business Location
United States
those 18 hp units dont have much power... i agree with amtex for performance around same price...
i had to modified my unit a bit to get strong performance... it wasnt much$$ and it now fills like i have a 45 blower unit...
before i modified
i was getting 150 to160 degrees at the wand
i could run 200 ft max of vacuum
after modification
about 190 to 200 degree at the wand
i run 250" of vac without any problem still strong vacuum... i dont carry more the 250" of vacuum in my van.

i added a propane heater, 4 to the door, 2" vacuum hose form tm to the wand, devastarter filter, and use the tmf modified wp 2"tube wand... i dont need any bigger TM for the type residential and light commercial work that i do..
when i buy a new TM down the road it will either be a peak or an apex probably...[video=youtube_share;6eFJTtqMDMg]http://youtu.be/6eFJTtqMDMg[/video] thats us doing a nasty commercial job... lot of steam!! and that 400 psi only

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
those 18 hp units dont have much power... i agree with amtex for performance around same price...
i had to modified my unit a bit to get strong performance... it wasnt much$$ and it now fills like i have a 45 blower unit...
before i modified
i was getting 150 to160 degrees at the wand
i could run 200 ft max of vacuum
after modification
about 190 to 200 degree at the wand
i run 250" of vac without any problem still strong vacuum... i dont carry more the 250" of vacuum in my van.

i added a propane heater, 4 to the door, 2" vacuum hose form tm to the wand, devastarter filter, and use the tmf modified wp 2"tube wand... i dont need any bigger TM for the type residential and light commercial work that i do..
when i buy a new TM down the road it will either be a peak or an apex probably...[video=youtube_share;6eFJTtqMDMg]http://youtu.be/6eFJTtqMDMg[/video] thats us doing a nasty commercial job... lot of steam!! and that 400 psi only

What catches your eye on the peak or the apex? I assume you're talking about prochem

ECOPRO

May 11, 2009
None
None.com
Real Name
None
Business Location
United States
Out of those 3 I would choose the 318 your obviously going to finance this thing. Or have a distributor that is pushing heavy.

If paying cash, open your options.
Amtex
Judson
Accelerated
EZ Truckmounts
Sapphire
Steam action

Http://www.facebook.com/ecoprocc

L.C

Oct 17, 2010
california
www.monstersteamer.net
Real Name
ludovic castronovo
Business Location
United States
What catches your eye on the peak or the apex? I assume you're talking about prochem
Performance, reliability, best warranty, how often do you hear people complaining abouth their new prochem tm... The apex is like the old 405 perfprmer which is known to be super reliable and last forever..

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I know the old models are in awesome condition and quality, but what my Jondon mechanic told me when he used to work on my old Legend, he said that the new Prochem machines aren't too user friendly and that they have alot of kinks that will cause future problems. I was in the market for prochem until I was told that. That was back in '09. I don't know about this years models, but I do know that they are still not user friendly when it comes to things like belt changes, etc. For some reason, Prochem, Hydramaster, and Sapphire like to hide the blower at the bottom of the truckmount under alot of things that are in the way.

Am I wrong with the 2012 models, or are they about the same way as they were a few years ago?

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Trying to decide which starter unit to go with. I don't see too many diferences in them but I'm sure you guys know something I don't about each. The prices are all similar. Please let me know which one you think would be the best to go with. Suggestions for other starter units are welcome. I tried to buy a used package deal but they all needed too much work. Planning to buy a used van then installing a new unit.

Prochem Blazer GT
Century 400 Avenger 550
HydraMaster Boxxer 318

Thanks, Mike
If it is your first TM, then I would suggest who offers the best service and is local. You may have a lot of questions on operation and maintenance.

brickhouse40

Jan 25, 2012
Maryland
Real Name
Mike Brickles
Business Location
United States
I installed the Amtex myself with just 3 other guys and a 12 pack of beer afterwards. The hard part is putting the machine in your van and trailer, so when you pick it up at the shipping yard, you can get the man who drives the forklift to lift it up and put it in your van. If you're a lady who is worried about doing that kind of work, you should know someone who can help.

On servicing it, it's real user friendly and You can call Ben (the owner) directly and he'll guide you through it. If you have $18k to blow, go with the first 3 you mentioned. If you want to save $7-$8k and have a machine that you can easily work on with the same quality of engine, blower, water pump and better heat exchanger, go with Amtex. You're thinking of this too hard
I'm not looking to blow any money and I don't feel as though I'm thinking to hard into this. I'm new to the industry and just want to get the best machine (including service, warranty and convenience of local help as Green Tech mentioned) for the money. $18k or $12k, to me starting out, they are both a lot of money. That's why I'm here getting opinions from those with experience. I'm just taking it all in and going to make a decision based on what I feel comfortable with in the end. Thanks for all the input.