Which name is better, Prochem or Sapphire Scientific?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We know SS bought out Prochem and it appears they are are transitioning toward SS branding. You as a cleaning pro, which brand name appeals more to you, Prochem or Sapphire Scientific?

Nov 11, 2016
Real Name
Howie Wallach
These days if it has chem in its name it's being changed. It's a bad word now.
Agree. And getting my staff break a bad chemical habit and use "cleaner, cleaning products or cleaning solution" none-to-simple.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Personally i would have went with prochem, that name carries alot of weight with alot of cleaners, synonymous with reliability. Prochem produced alot of reliable staple machines over the years 100-A, Bearcat, Performer, Everest, Legend. If i was over branding i wouldnt have just tossed that kind brand recognition in the trash.

Cameron RDS

Jun 2, 2015
Real Name
Cameron Duty
Ehhh they both are alright names. Both could be better in my opinion.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
Prochem has a reputation for durability and ease of maintenance. Sapphire's reputation seems to lie more in "cool features" and innovations territory. If Legend can maintain Prochem's longevity and add in Sapphire's unique features without compromising ease of use, I think the results could be magnificent.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Let’s try and think up some names. How about ProSapphire?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Prochem machines are much better quality than Sapphire
Some may say Prochem owners are sentimental. What can we say to substantially back that up Kevin?

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
To many operators with years and years of reliable service from their prochem machines.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
North Carolina
www.shopcleansource.com
Real Name
Amy Barnes
Business Location
United States
Some may say Prochem owners are sentimental. What can we say to substantially back that up Kevin?
I can say from the service side, Prochem units don't break down as often and are usually easier for my guys to get back up and running quickly. They also seem to be more simply engineered, and when a Prochem finally DOES bite the dust it's either due to gross neglect (we're talking NO oil changes and NO maintenance) or the darn thing is old enough to have grandchildren.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’d be interested to know the exact number but I bet half the carpet trucks on the road have prochems in them.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
To many operators with years and years of reliable service from their prochem machines.
Decades, many decades.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
if i am correct some engineer guys from prochem brokeoff about 10 years ago?????
and started SS

now they have bought out their old company somehow!!!!!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
if i am correct some engineer guys from prochem brokeoff about 10 years ago?????
and started SS

now they have bought out their old company somehow!!!!!
Yes. That’s exactly what’s happened.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Looks like there’s not a difference anymore. I just saw this. Sapphire and prochem have come together and had a baby......

A691ACB2-3AC8-4ED8-A2A1-9490C49595A3.png

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Looks like there’s not a difference anymore. I just saw this. Sapphire and prochem have come together and had a baby......

View attachment 78362
You gotta admit it looks pretty cool. It probably won't get you anymore customers, but it looks cool. It probably won't clean carpets any better than comparable models, but it looks cool. If it works well and has few problems, now that would be cool. If I were to buy on looks alone that would probably be my choice or just the 370 since I'm a one man show. I may have to buy one more machine before I hang up my wand for good. Not sure really.

I remember one time a potential customer asked me if I had the best state of the art equipment. I don't think I could answer in the affirmative with a Boxxer 421 and I don't remember getting the job. I could probably have answered better now since a lot of the crap being bandied about in reference to machines is just that, crap. Btw, when asked that question I thought I needed a Vortex or something to be able to answer YES! It's one of those calls that's stuck in my head forever.

Btw, if they'd put a different engine on my Boxxer, even with it otherwise being exactly as it is, I'd probably had far few problems with it. Still, I can't seriously complain after nearly 16 years now. It would be nice if it had a Kubota or some other really reliable engine on it though even if it costs a few grand more.

Last edited:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
You gotta admit it looks pretty cool. It probably won't get you anymore customers, but it looks cool. It probably won't clean carpets any better than comparable models, but it looks cool. If it works well and has few problems, now that would be cool. If I were to buy on looks alone that would probably be my choice or just the 370 since I'm a one man show. I may have to buy one more machine before I hang up my wand for good. Not sure really.

I remember one time a potential customer asked me if I had the best state of the art equipment. I don't think I could answer in the affirmative with a Boxxer 421 and I don't remember getting the job. I could probably have answered better now since a lot of the crap being bandied about in reference to machines is just that, crap. Btw, when asked that question I thought I needed a Vortex or something to be able to answer YES! It's one of those calls that's stuck in my head forever.

Btw, if they'd put a different engine on my Boxxer, even with it otherwise being exactly as it is, I'd probably had far few problems with it. Still, I can't seriously complain after nearly 16 years now. It would be nice if it had a Kubota or some other really reliable engine on it though even if it costs a few grand more.
I know a lot will disagree with me but when it comes down to it when you are standing in the house holding your wand every truckmount out there squirts hot water and sucks it up. Truckmounts are s lot like cars I guess, some guys have to have the biggest or most cool looking car (or truckmount) out there but at the end of the day they all accomplish the same thing.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I know a lot will disagree with me but when it comes down to it when you are standing in the house holding your wand every truckmount out there squirts hot water and sucks it up. Truckmounts are s lot like cars I guess, some guys have to have the biggest or most cool looking car (or truckmount) out there but at the end of the day they all accomplish the same thing.
We're definitely on the same page! :)