Where is the cheapest I can get a new 350 Chevy engine | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Where is the cheapest I can get a new 350 Chevy engine

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
If by new you mean another working engine you could get one at a junkyard that runs great for less than $200, if you and your guys can do the work yourself.

If you're having a shop put it in, they're usually going to want to only use their parts. Shops don't like when you try to use your own parts for a repair. (Another reason I don't use them)

If you want brand new, http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-10067353...ts=Make:Chevrolet&hash=item27e134d252&vxp=mtr or similar would be a good option. Free shipping too. Check locally you may be able to get it faster.
Dang! That looks like the dealio there! Thx

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

russrroberts

Jan 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ
www.steamnfresh.com
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
When the engine in my express goes (4.8L w/ 322,000 miles) I'll definitely make an investment in a new engine, or something with a warranty. The downtime just isn't worth it and better piece of mind. If you have the money to buy new (I'm assuming you might) I would definitely go new Rob.

Sent from my LG-D801 using TMF Forums mobile app

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
Jasper Makes good trannys but I have never messed with their engines but assume they would be quality too. But you still may wanna check the junk yards. we have one here locally that offers a 100,000 mile warranty if it is installed by a shop, and if it fails they will replace the motor and pay the labor.

Jan Sullins

Sep 17, 2008
Ok.City Oklahoma
Real Name
Jan Sullins
What would a Chevy 350 engine require for it to adapt to the Isuzu's
fuel system (fuel injection) or would you just go with a carb? Worked
on cars when I was young but been a long time. So I am not up to date on
what one can do when it comes to replacing engines with other mfg engines.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
What would a Chevy 350 engine require for it to adapt to the Isuzu's
fuel system (fuel injection) or would you just go with a carb? Worked
on cars when I was young but been a long time. So I am not up to date on
what one can do when it comes to replacing engines with other mfg engines.
Rob's Isuzu has a GM 350ci (5.7 liter) engine already installed in it from the factory. It's electronically fuel injected...

Reactions: rob allen

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
I have a 57 chevy show truck just about done ...
I'll be getting one new from ..
All the hot rod guys are going with them .. staring price 2850.00 ( not bad )
http://www.blueprintengines.com/
John, do you have any pics? Old trucks are my bread and butter... is it a half ton or is it larger?

Mar 28, 2014
Hey mr rob, it is very important to make sure that the camshaft in the engine that you purchase is correct for the application. I cant stress this point enough.

wuznmee

Jan 2, 2014
Real Name
Mike
Contact a few of your local automotive machine shops. You might find one that they built for a customer and he never came back, couldn't afford to finish it, etc. Some of them rebuild cores through the slow season and you may find one of those and. usually have bulletin boards where customers post for sale items.

dirtsucker

Jan 19, 2011
fulton
Real Name
Ed Ware
Business Location
United States
I would stick with the jasper or new Chevy crate motor. The only reason I went with the jasper is the dodge dealership that put the motor in suggested it because it was cheaper than a crate motor from dodge. You don't want to mess around with a used motor if you don't have to when this involves your living.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
Good luck Rob. I was thinking salvage yard since thread title said cheap. But if you want new I never heard of a cheap motor.
Try finding a competitors truck with the same motor and visit them one night
Called midnight auto :)

Reactions: Dylan H

Hawkins

Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Real Name
Matt Hawkins
Business Location
United States

Hey Rob. I've been a Technician for over 17 years. I've replaced

Hey Rob. I've been an Automotive Technician for over 17 years. I've replaced engines in almost every common make and model on the road today. When it comes to buying a new engine I have learned that having a reputable shop that can give a good warranty (I.E. 3 year-60k miles or 3 year-100k miles on engines) is the only way to go. Most of the "new" engines out there are going to be rebuilds of some sort. I've gotten and installed engines from dealers, parts stores, and third parties. At one point or another I have had to replace one or two from every source because of some internal mechanical flaw. The only benefit there was for the customer at the time was that they had a good warranty and the shop that did the work took care of their customer in a timely manner. Stuff happens even to new parts and when it comes to something like a rig you use daily such as your box truck, having a warranty and a good shop makes all the difference in the world especially when its your business on the line. Now I know you said your looking for something cheep but "good"; but is the risk of finding an engine on ebay and installing it your self with the potential of something going wrong and with a crap warranty cost effective for if when something does happen and your rig does go down your out all that time and back to square one again. Best advise I can give is get a new engine from GM dealership and have them install it. Yes it will cost more but they are quick and have one of the best warranty's in the industry (3 Years or 100,000 miles). If anything goes wrong THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF IT. And I have never seen them refuse because the engine was going into something like a box truck. Hope this helps.

ALL CLEAN

Apr 17, 2012
Reno, Nevada
allcleanreno.com
Real Name
Chris Griego
Business Location
United States
Try engines direct. There out of Phoenix Arizona. I got a complete motor and I mean complete. It had new spark plugs. New thermostat just had to buy new wires for spark plugs. Heck it even had new oil in it. 100,000 mile warranty or 3 years whichever comes first. My 05 ford excursion motor blewup . Everyone wanted at least $4000 for it. I got my motor, a v10 for $3100 shipped. I know a v8 is going to be cheaper.

Mar 28, 2014
Nice truck john! I have a 59 apache myself. It has a 283 with the factory 3 on the tree with over drive that still works. I have a question regarding the stock gauge cluster for 55-59, do you know what year or model of those trucks had a bowtie for the hi-beam indicator ,an oil light, and a gen (generator) light? I am looking for a replacement speedo but cant find one that matches. I will post a pic shortly.