Where/how to learn carpet cleaning, good beginner eqipment?

Discussion in 'Starting Your Business' started by JRP, Jan 7, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. JRP

JRP New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Where or how to learn carpet cleaning? Can I learn off this forum/youtube or should I go work for somebody? What are the bare essentials equipment-wise (I have a a 2012 f150 that runs well, reg cab long box w/toolbox)? Are there books I can get? I need to learn how to become a great carpet cleaner as fast as possible. Please no sarcastic or negative comments. Yes I am sure I want to do this. Yes I know what I am getting myself into. Just please tell me how, if you can. Sorry if in wrong forum. Thanks for the help

• Like Like x 1
  2. I T

I T New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi. What state/city r u in?

U need to decide wat method etc u wanna use before deciding on equipment, products etc. Do some research on that. For example hot water extraction vs Vlm, encap, bonnet cleaning etc

Sure there r lots of resources online and its a very very rewarding career with better money than most professions and lots of freedom.

I have found it very easy personally and no u r not getting urself into anything too difficult. It can be learned fairly easily by anyone with average to above average intelligence, commonsense, customer service skills and of course being physically fit and able is a requirement.

3. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,122 / 19 / -0

This guys a carpet cleaning King :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. LightningCarpetCare

LightningCarpetCare Active Member

May 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

6. LightningCarpetCare

LightningCarpetCare Active Member

May 2, 2016
    Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    he's taught me everything I know. Nah man gotta give it to him for doing something out the box though.

Lightning Carpet Care LLC

7. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,686 / 84 / -0
    You are on the right forum for getting help but it is not something you will learn or become great at overnight.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,410 / 58 / -0
    If you can go to work for Stanley sterner or Coit or one of the large companies for a year it will be a valuable learning experience. You will learn a lot of what to do as well as what not to do. Keep studying online as well as this industry is always changing and learning the business is a never ending process. I've been in the business for 23 years now and I'm still learning.

If you can't go work for someone else then maybe you can find someone in your area willing to let you ride along with them and show you the basics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,122 / 19 / -0
    You could always buy a t r in ity op machine and encap clean or padcap carpets very easy to clean with low moisture

Or Rob sells Orbot machines which is also low moisture @rob allen

But do you have the business side down yet? Same with marketing

10. Luky

Luky Active Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Male
    Chicagoland
    Ratings:
    +363 / 2 / -0
    You're in right place, just your questions stink. How about you type " Everything about carpet cleaning" and come back visit this or any other forum. My answer is far from sarcastic, depending on point of view. But I feel that you're insulting inteligence of TMF members

11. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,293 / 11 / -0
    just start learning, reading etc... go look up stuff on youtube and decide if its for you or not

12. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,686 / 84 / -0
    Where are you located and what is your budget for equipment as well as marketing and other expenses?

13. JRP

JRP New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    West monroe/monroe Louisiana

My budget overall is not very much. <1000k usd. I currently work as a landscaper/lawncare/gardener @ 8/hr. I save as much as I can but it's still not much. Thanks for your help.

14. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Mar 30, 2010
    Male
    texas
    Ratings:
    +18,686 / 84 / -0
    That is low for a budget but others have done it with low budgets getting started. Unfortunately your current job does not allow you to save much so if this is something you truly want to do you will have to work even harder to make it happen.
    There are a lot of different routes you could go with equipment but me personally I would search for a used portable. With your budget you will be seeing a lot of under powered ones or one that needs repaired (ones needing repaired can be bought fairly cheap), look for the ones that needs repaired as switching out vacuum motors to more powerful ones have been talked about a lot here on the forum and those threads will help you. I would also look for a used 175 as you will be able to use it for agitation and other services down the road.

As far as marketing and advertising you will have to do it the old fashion way of word of mouth, hopefully you have a big family and a lot of friends that can help refer you getting started.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Todd Cottino
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Premium VIP

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    Owner / Operator
    Pahrump, Nevada, United States
    Ratings:
    +25,410 / 58 / -0
    In that case definitely look in to going to work for a carpet cleaning company, not only will you learn the business but you will also make more money. You should be able to get at least $10 - $12 per hour. Of course don't mention to them that you want to eventually start your own business.

I started off my business 6 years ago being flat broke. I was months behind in all my bills and my house was in foreclosure. I found an old beat up truckmount for $500 that I had to re-build. Leaving my job was one of the hardest and scariest things I've ever done. The first 2 years in business were incredibly hard but we made it through and finally have a good business that can support us.

You will definitely need to hit the street and find a few good commercial accounts right from the beginning. One good place to look is property managers that manage rental homes. Also look for commercial (businesses) that you can set up on a regular cleaning schedule. Stay away from apartments in the beginning as they will give you a lot of work but usually wait 90 days to pay you plus they don't pay well. Set up a Facebook business page and get all your friends to like it so you can spread the word about your business. Learn and use the Facebook advertising system, it is relatively cheap.

Avoid the trap of pricing yourself too low just to get a job. Once you build a customer base of cheap customers it's hard to make the change to charging more. You will need to figure out what your pricing structure will be. I would start by finding out how much the big companies in your area are charging and probably set your prices about the same. Once you have been in business for a year you will better know what your expenses are and you can start adjusting your prices up to what you need to run a profitable business.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. smart n kleen

Premium VIP

Mar 12, 2010
    oregon
    Ratings:
    +4,816 / 37 / -0
    He's the king. The guy is nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,122 / 19 / -0
    I started with $1500 but that was almost 8 yrs ago it can be done.

I would go with low moisture system and attack offices and restaurants at night.

It'll wear you out for a couple months but you won't need a lot to replace $8/hr

Once you have some commercial then I'd start pushing residential. The commercial at night will allow you some time to get the principles of cleaning down without worrying about customers watching you

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JRP

JRP New Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Thanks everybody for your help. I have some things to consider and I will continue my research

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mike Krall

Premium VIP

Apr 24, 2013
    Male
    New York
    Ratings:
    +8,289 / 15 / -0
    Todd is Coit all over the country and do they do other things besides carpets now?

I was looking them up the other day for their stain guide and had to jump through a lot of stuff to find it.

20. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,122 / 19 / -0
    Mike you still listening the old radio stuff?